Quantcast
Self defence/fighting classes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Self defence/fighting classes

My Ride
    240SX

Default Self defence/fighting classes

I'm looking into getting into some sort of class for fighting/self defence sort of thing. I'm in south Calgary, looking to see if anyone here is in any classes like this or what you would suggest?

I'd like to find something where I can get a good work out, get more flexible, and learn to fight.

My Ride
    2G Talon

I would reccomend checking out Wing Chun Kung Fu.

http://www.wingchun-canada.com/

Default Re: Self defence/fighting classes

I would suggest something like Muay Thai kickboxing. there are lots of Gyms around calgary that offer classes. The cardio is amazing. My friend puked his first time and whenever I haven't gone in a while I have to go 60-70% on the cardio portion or I feel sick.

Also teaches you a lot of applicable techniques for the real world such as how to use your elbows and shins in a fight and other skills that can end a brawl very quickly! Not that I condone street fighting or anything, but I think it would help out a lot if someone tried to jump you on the street or something like that.

if you are looking to compete, from what i've found there aren't a heck of a lot of straight muay thai tournaments (I could be wrong though). But there are a lot of kickboxing tournaments each year (basically one of the key differences is you can't throw elbows in Kboxing and if I remember correctly you can't throw knees either). So no matter if you train in Muay Thai or straight kickboxing you'll have lots of chances to compete
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-10-2011 at 09:40 PM.

My Ride
    Supercharged Cold Air Vespa 200 Turbo

I've got the black belt in ITF taekwondo (getting stale at 6 years off now...dislocated knee..... bad car accident......) and studied a couple other disciplines, which had me visiting a number of places in calgary.

If your looking for straight up self defense skills I would look into a place called Tecumseh (Sp?) TKD downtown and in NW calgary I believe. Run by a man named Pat Teevens originally, was very specialized Canadian army un armed defense, and "Spetznaz" Russian style self defense. Mostly vs. knife or handgun, but all still applicable vs. unarmed. Great place with less emphasis on repeating a kick or punches, patterns ect.
    edit: Just checked their website and only recognized 1 instructor.... thinking they may have gone "family friendly".

If your looking for really aggressive sparring sessions for cardio and "fight" practice look into "J.J. Lee TKD" in Kensington. More training towards tournament fighting, which in my opinion is less useful in a real life situation.. More of the "learn this pattern".. "do this kick 200 times" that being said i'm sure you could still do serious damage to unarmed opponents with the skills learned at this place.

Would say Mike Miles is half decent over all.... lots of "cool kids" looking to learn some "sweet moves" in that place.. at least the last time I was there.
    Last edited by JBreaks; 01-12-2011 at 12:49 PM.
    1990 R32 GTS-T (Project) Build Thread
    1999 Prelude SH - Ghetto Turbo Build Thread
    2001 Acura EL (Vandalized - Write Off)
    2000 Prelude (Rear End - Write off)
    1994 WRX GC8 (Sold)
    1991 R32 GTR (Sold)
    2004 Altima 3.5SE (Sold)
    1995 Civic Si (Sold)

if you want self-defense, find a place that teaches krav maga.
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Are you looking for a happy ending?? If so, PM me...

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Originally posted by nj2Type-S
    if you want self-defense, find a place that teaches krav maga.
    my cousin that want's to be a police officer is going to start taking this, apparently it's pretty bad ass.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Learn a discipline that teaches how to take someone down and submit them.

To this day I haven't seen very many fights stay on their feet.

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by JfuckinC

my cousin that want's to be a police officer is going to start taking this, apparently it's pretty bad ass.
    Would you mind asking him where he plans on taking it? I have been looking for a good place in Calgary that does it. There is a place called IntegrityKD which I think now specializes more in family friendly martial arts.

Regardless, for the OP, Krav Maga would be your best bet. Wonder if the guy would teach a weekend basics course for beyonders.
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

My Ride
    E46

Been looking for krav maga as well. Not much luck for places in the north.

TL

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

http://www.integritytkd.com/

That's where my cousin is going to go i guess. TKD and KM, But he's only doing the KM.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Jimmy at integrity tkd seems like a good guy. Gal I know attend classes there. It's practical stuff.

Originally posted by bigbadboss101
    Jimmy at integrity tkd seems like a good guy. Gal I know attend classes there. It's practical stuff.
    couple things I find super odd about TKD is first, in tournaments it seems they are all using long range strikes (especially kicks). Which if you've ever seen a bar brawl break out would be completely useless. Also they strike a lot with their feet, which contain soft and easily broken bones and again as mentioned requires distance.

Not to start an argument as all martial arts have their prons and cons, I just found that odd and wonder what that style of fighting evolved from?
    Last edited by J-hop; 01-15-2011 at 02:21 AM.

My Ride
    97awd talon//86 c/s daytona

anyone here trained in the past in Jishin-ryu Jiu jitsu?
    Or more commonly known as Bissett Jiu jitsu? japanese jiu jitsu..

There are two of us training here under supervision from head of style Kyoshi Bissett,.

www.bissettjiu-jitsu.com

Originally posted by J-hop

couple things I find super odd about TKD is first, in tournaments it seems they are all using long range strikes (especially kicks). Which if you've ever seen a bar brawl break out would be completely useless. Also they strike a lot with their feet, which contain soft and easily broken bones and again as mentioned requires distance.

Not to start an argument as all martial arts have their prons and cons, I just found that odd and wonder what that style of fighting evolved from?
    You are talking about WTF TKD, ITF TKD is much more versatile. It has been a while since I was training (and learning the history) but this is what I remember.

Tae Kwon Do came from the military and other training schools. In the 1950's it was one of the most well known and widely trained martial arts in Korea.

After the Korean war Tae Kwon Do was banned because of it's affiliation with the north, so WTF (World TKD Federation was born). ITF is the more traditional style but WTF is more recognized and is an olympic sport. WTF has much more kicking than ITF.

Hapkido is known as the royal guards art. A korean was adopted by a Japanese family and trained under the father who was a samurai. He went back to korea and TKD was huge. He started to add more punches and japanese throws into TKD and Hapkido merged from that.

Originally posted by JBreaks
    I've got the black belt in ITF taekwondo (getting stale at 6 years off now...dislocated knee..... bad car accident......)
    Where did you train out of? I trained out of Lightning Family Martial Arts in 2004/2005 under Mr. Howes.

OP I train here: http://www.hapkimudo.ca/

I would also look into Judo or Magna Krav if you want even more self defence (we currently do 1/3 of our day in self defence)
    Last edited by Cos; 04-14-2011 at 08:12 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Cos any chance you could PM me some details on the school? Cost, frequency of classes, etc. The website leaves a bit to be desired.

Originally posted by BrknFngrs
    Cos any chance you could PM me some details on the school? Cost, frequency of classes, etc. The website leaves a bit to be desired.
    Will do, but for other peoples benefit I will leave it on here.

The website is just about Hapkido only because the course is run through Cardel Place. Cardel sets schedule and payment so Master Jeremy didnt put it on the site I assume.

Edit: Good video on Hapkido.

Last edited by Cos; 04-14-2011 at 08:38 PM.

My Ride
    Acura TSX 2009

I train at BDB martial arts. It's an awesome gym, they have Muay Thai kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, and Wrestling. (Yoga and Capoeria too, if you're into that). It's fairly cheap compared to a lot of other gyms and it has lots of classes.

They've got world champion BJJs there, Nick Ring, who's fighting in Vancouver at UFC 131! It's not your typical "self defence" course, but I'd bet my money on a MMA fighter over a JKD or taekwondo guy anyday. Maybe not krav maga though.. those guys are scary haha. and they kick you in the balls

Originally posted by cricks11
    and they kick you in the balls
    anyone who doesnt spar with rules kicks in the balls. It is just too easy a fight ender. Lol

I have heard good things about BDB. MMA v. a true self defence martial art I would like to see. Sparring the MMA would almost always win.

krav maga is like a combination of wing chun and thai boxing to me. The reason why i say that is because Ive been practicing both wc and thai boxing for a while. then i attended a couple classes of krav maga and its like a mixture of the arts (almost like they stole the techniques )

but this will save you time from learning 2 separate arts, and combine it in one all together i guess...i dont recommend it though
    Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Yo Kanye, ima let you finish, but 50 Cent had the best concert cancellation of all time.

Is there anywhere in south Calgary that offers Krav Maga?? I have prior training in boxing and wrestling/ grappling, and Krav Maga sounds very interesting! Wouldn't mind giving it a try.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast