Quantcast
this might be a retarded question but... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: this might be a retarded question but...

My Ride
    1992 Dodge Daytona ES 6G72

Default this might be a retarded question but...

Most V6's are twin turbos, and both banks run a turbo manifold and turbo (as far as I know).

I was wondering if it would be possible just to run one turbo of one turbo manifold on one bank, and leave the other manifold stock. Would that royally mess things up, or would it actually work?

My Ride
    Mercedes 190's

That would be bad news. I dont know exactly waht would happen but you would tweek something. There would be much more power and torque being created on one bank of cylinders and something would get messed. If you want to run a V6 with a single turbo you can run it after the two exhaust pipes merge into one and then boost the intake before it splits into two pipes.

My Ride
    '15 GTI

you'd probably end up fucking up your crankshaft or something, that is even if it runs

My Ride
    11 sec weather van

while i would never attempt it, i dont think you'd wreck anything if it was tuned and running properly. All that your doing is creating an exhaust restriction on one bank of cyls. I would imagine that that cyl bank would be much more detonation prone due to the higher presence of exhaust gases heating the fresh a/f mixture.
    As stated above, if you go single turbo run both manifolds into the turbo.
    Ford tuning guy...

I have too much respect for the idea of God to make it responsible for such an absurd world.
    Georges Duhamel

joke of the day:
    Originally posted by Danger_Mouse
    There is a replacement for displacement. It's called technology.

My Ride

Thanks guys for the advice. Yeah I don't know why I didn't think to have them after merging the exhaust off of the two banks, then I wouldn't even need to get turbo manifolds.

I'm doing things on a seriously tight budget, so I'm using a bit of ingenuity. There's a possibility I won't be able to find matching used turbos, so I might have to just run one for the time being and see what happens.

Performance Evolution

Do you mean you want to spool the turbo off one bank, while the output pressurizes both intake tracts?

Toyota did just that, a few years back in CART. This configuration actually netted them some gains, as they didnt need both banks to spool with.

To do this properly though, would require different cam timing and and fuel mixtures between banks.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by stockEK
    Do you mean you want to spool the turbo off one bank, while the output pressurizes both intake tracts?

Toyota did just that, a few years back in CART. This configuration actually netted them some gains, as they didnt need both banks to spool with.

To do this properly though, would require different cam timing and and fuel mixtures between banks.

Not only did CART do it...but hey SAAB did to, if my memory serves me...

As for finding a of the same turbos its really easy man...depending on what you wanna power and the psi you wanna run a pair of 2G DSM t-25's will serve your purpose perfectly...and they are pretty readily available used man...As well as any snail off of the Turbo Didges will work for you...just need to look and do some research Bro...Have a good time and let me know if you have questions...plus let us know how it all works out for you...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

Well I think the easiest, cheapest and safest thing to do would be to run one turbo after the exhaust tracts merge.

So lets say I was to buy one Garett T3 or similar with an internal wastegate and nothing else. What would I need to do, what else would I need to get to set it up? We're talking about the bare minimum here, and I'm not going to be running very much boost either.

Performance Evolution

My Ride
    Mercedes 190's

I hope your looking at doing all of the piping and excetera yourself. If you get it professionally done its gonna cost a fortune in labor for them to fabricate it all.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by hearse
    Well I think the easiest, cheapest and safest thing to do would be to run one turbo after the exhaust tracts merge.

So lets say I was to buy one Garett T3 or similar with an internal wastegate and nothing else. What would I need to do, what else would I need to get to set it up? We're talking about the bare minimum here, and I'm not going to be running very much boost either.

All the piping for one...both exhaust piping and intake piping...and Intercooler if you so choose, I would run one, kinda cheap insurance...You will for sure need fuel upgrades, injectors and fuel pump and the like...I think your V6 is very smiliar to the N/A Stealth is it not??...if so, check out a Stealth Message Board as I can pretty much promise that there are folks out there who snailed up their N/Z Stealths...whether it be a TT set up or a single turbo...

If you have any more questions, let us know...and PM me...

Have a great day...

Arif
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

Yup, same engine as the SOHC N/A stealth. The stealth boys have the luxury of being able to do a motor swap though.

Where can I get a hold of the type of piping used? It probably should be too hard to find exhaust and downpiping that I can adapt to fit but what about the intake piping?

Performance Evolution

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Really Bro, I would take a look at what you have to work with space wise and what have you..design and build your own if you can...You will save HUGE bones, plus the added "yeah I did the work myself"...Intake piping isnt really that hard either...

Filer to Turbo...Turbo to I/C...I/C to Throttle Body...It all comes down to packaging man...and having never worked on a V6 Daytona not too sure what it looks like under there...
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

I'm just scared that since I'm building this on a budget, I'm going to look like a complete ass, and somethings going to blow.

Luckily I would be able to get higher flow injectors and a higher flow fuel pump from a stealth R/T Turbo or Mitsubishi 3000GT that would easily be capable of handling a lot more than the boost and power I'll be creating on my machine. It's just that these things RARELY come available and when they do, they're redonkulously expensive even from wreckers.

As for space under the hood, it's a little tight, but not too bad. There's pleny of space behind the engine (for some reason) and I'm pretty sure enough space on the sides to run tubing to the front for an intercooler. Dodge made the engine compartments big enough to fit a longitudinally mounted big block V8 for their drag racing programs in the late 80's/early 90's.

I want to design and build my own kit, but it's really running the piping that's going to be difficult. That and I've never worked on a turbo car before. I know *technically* how a turbo works and is supposed to be set up and stuff, but I won't pretend that I'm an expert on this kind of stuff, because this is running in territory I've never been in before.

Performance Evolution

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Dude lots of us here can totally help you out...And as for injectors...I may kno of a few Stealth ones kicking aorund in a guys garage...I will find out if they are the TT ones or not...you may want to think about upgrading your fuel pump as well though man...

Again PM me if you have questions or whatever ok??

Arif
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

Here's the list of parts I've been thinking would work. Can anyone think of anything else I might need?

Fuel Injection Rail (turbo Stealth) used
    Fuel Pump (turbo Stealth) 255LPH rebuilt unit
    Garett T3 Turbo used GC w/ internal wastegate
    Applicable pipes used off of random cars
    Intercooler used Shelby Dodge Turbo
    52mm Throttle Body used 3.0L minivan

Performance Evolution

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by hearse
    Here's the list of parts I've been thinking would work. Can anyone think of anything else I might need?

Fuel Injection Rail (turbo Stealth) used
    Fuel Pump (turbo Stealth) 255LPH rebuilt unit
    Garett T3 Turbo used GC w/ internal wastegate
    Applicable pipes used off of random cars
    Intercooler used Shelby Dodge Turbo
    52mm Throttle Body used 3.0L minivan

Does the rail come with the injectors??...and I know the size of that I/C...I know of a guy who is selling one a bit bigger than that one for not too much cash...

As far as using the Caravan T.B. is that an upgrade the Stealth guys use??...Try to incorporate parts you know the TT Stealth or Swapped in Turbo Stealth guys use...then you know they perform you know what I mean??
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride

well I got a quote of $90 US from an american firm for two used TT injector rails (with injectors)

if someone had just the TT injectors, I could still plug them into my fuel rail with no problem, and that may be a lot cheaper, but I'm not sure who has them available.

The 52 or 58mm throttle bodies off of the minivan fit my intake manifold. If I used the stealth/3000GT TB, I'd have to change my entire intake manifold. This is a direct swap, and it's just to widen the opening a bit and allow the air to flow easier.

How much is he selling the intercooler for? I was just going to pull one off of a wrecked turbo dodge for extremely cheap. I know the shelby dodge intercooler will fit on my car really snugly too.

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

I think he wants 350 for the I/C...its a left to right flow...Prochargers unit...I dont know exact CFM specs and what have you but its a pretty nice piece...I will find out eaxct specs for you...

I know someone with injectors off of a 3000GT, I just dont recall if they are the TT ones or N/A ones...but I will find out for you and get back to you tomorrow...

Arif
    ...@therealarifjina...

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

www.turbododge.com

a couple guys put a single turbo 3.0L in a shadow, turned out quite nice, and really isn't that hard...

just search for 3.0L turbo
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride

thanks man!

Performance Evolution

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast