Quantcast
Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread

finally rode on the new train today, def not digging the seats.

Originally posted by TimG
    i noticed that my train this morning had an LED panel at one end showing current time and next stop, but it wasn't updating the next stop.
    Yeah apparently some of the older SD160 units are being fitted with them, but the actual operation, involving a GPS/RFID system, still has some bugs to work out.

You will soon start seeing similar displays put up at the LRT stations in preparation for the realtime arrival system that is supposed to be online by 2012.

Originally posted by TimG
    Can you please make it CT policy for the train operators to at least inform the passengers as to what is going on? Nothing is more frustrating than sitting in a train between stations and not knowing if it's a 5 min delay or something major.
    Yeah, I agree that sort of stuff could be improved a lot, and not just at the operator level, but with social media, smartphone applications, LCD display, intercom updates, etc.

Who are you referring to though?

Automated LEGO C-Train setup. 2 trains (one old, one new), 3 Stations (Zoo Station, one old downtown, one new downtown). Check out near the end where you can see the LEDs that change colours on the roof canopy of the new downtown station, just like they do on the real version.

Last edited by kaput; 03-22-2019 at 07:01 PM.

No. I do like LEGO (well I did as a kid), and I like C-Trains, but I have not yet decided to mix those.

I find it funny when people are standing at the downtown stations freezing their asses off, and I step inside of one of those little mini shelters and push that button for instant warmth. mmmmmmmmmm
    Originally posted by rage2
    #1: don't ever question me.

My Ride
    2009 Forester

is that the CT planning department?
    Tim

Reservable parking stalls at LRT lots opposed

By Lea Storry, Calgary Herald February 13, 2011 7:12 AM

Some aldermen are criticizing a proposal to make up to half of the parking spots at LRT park-and-ride lots reservable while charging $70 for the service.

The proposal, to be discussed by city council Monday, comes in the wake of the December decision to axe the daily $3 parking fee. The changes are slated to take effect in April.

[...]

Ward 5 Ald. Ray Jones voted to get rid of the daily fee, but said keeping up to 50 per cent of spots for reservations is too high.

"I think we should start with 25 per cent . . . and see how it works," said Jones. "We should at least experiment with it."

[...]

A survey done this past January by the transportation department found 23 per cent of current and former park-and-ride users would be interested in paying for reserved parking spaces with the average willing to cough up $70 a month.

[...]

Will Stach takes the LRT to get to his classes at the University of Calgary. The 20-year-old used to park at the Southland LRT Station, but stopped after the fee was introduced. He added he won't be shelling out 70 bucks for a primo parking spot either.

"It's not really in my budget to do that," said Stach. "I'm used to taking the bus now to the train. It's a habit."

[...]

"People want more transit," noted Pincott. "I think Calgarians are saying, and have been saying for years, if you give us an efficient transit system that works, then I will use it."
    Link to the rest of the article

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by frinkprof
    How much is that? I want one!

A survey done this past January by the transportation department found 23 per cent of current and former park-and-ride users would be interested in paying for reserved parking spaces with the average willing to cough up $70 a month.
    So reserve 30%, why start with 50% when only 23% are interested?

When 30% are met, mark more spaces.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-13-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 10:44 AM.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    I can't help but noticed the overhead line of the West LRT cantilevered over my head on Eastbound Bow Trail last week; I heard that when that section of the track connects to the other side, "Phase 2" is officially started.... which scares me because it sounds like they are planning a lot of new road closures.
    The upcoming and ongoing road closures are detailed in the latest West LRT newsletter:

http://www.westlrt.ca/files/Status%2...t%20Feb-11.pdf

Looks like some lane closures during off-peak periods on Eastbound Bow Trail and there will be a detour re-alignment of Bow Trail upcoming too.

Most if not all of the road closures and detours will be finished by the end of the year, with some areas improving by as early as spring.

My Ride
    TL

Thanks for the link frinkprof. Living in the Westbrook area, the delay of finishing the Bow Trail / 33rd Street work puts quite a bit of strain on west Bow Trail.

To compound that, the reduction to 2 lanes on West Bow trail now due to the bridge work just before Crowchild will make getting out of the core an utter gong show.

City approves park-and-ride reserved spots

Last Updated: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 | 8:20 AM MT

Commuters who want to reserve a parking spot at Calgary's LRT lots will soon get that chance.

The current $3-a-day fee will be done away with on April 1.

However, the city will move to a system where commuters can pay $70 a month to reserve a spot in the park-and-ride lots.

Up to half of the spots in each lot will be designated as reserved, starting in April.

City administration is also going to study the feasibility of offering free or reduced-price spaces for carpoolers.

City council voted 10-5 to kill the park-and-ride fee in December. The fee has been used to improve security and conditions in the parking lots since being introduced in 2009, but many see it as a nuisance.

[...]
    Link to the rest of the article

Stupid idea, you're going to end up with empty parking spots, forcing more people to park in nearby neighborhoods because of it.

Not to mention the inevitable. "For rent: Dalhousie LRT Parking. $100/month". How do they propose to prevent that from happening. Patrol enforcement? Hahahahaha.

I don't even ride the train, I might snap up a spot and make some money on the side.

Originally posted by whiskas
    Stupid idea, you're going to end up with empty parking spots, forcing more people to park in nearby neighborhoods because of it.
    The motion passed allows for a maximum of 50% of the stalls to be reserved. If takeup or usage is lower than that, and large numbers of empty parking spots are the result, the number of reservable spots can be reduced. It isn't 50%, no more, no less from this day forward.

Not to mention the inevitable. "For rent: Dalhousie LRT Parking. $100/month". How do they propose to prevent that from happening. Patrol enforcement? Hahahahaha.

I don't even ride the train, I might snap up a spot and make some money on the side.
    That would be on the assumption that demand for the reserved spots would be much higher than their availability, which I think is an overestimation by quite a bit.

More information on the Park and Ride paid reservation system.

On April 4, Calgary Transit will implement a reserved parking program at some LRT park and ride lots. The cost to reserve a space will be $70 per month. The number of parking spaces set aside for reserved parking in each lot will be based on customer demand for each month up to a maximum of 50% of the spaces in each lot.
    Calgary Transit was directed to begin implementation of this new service on the following schedule:

Lots at terminal stations - Crowfoot, McKnight West Winds, and Somerset Bridlewood, plus continuation of reserved parking at Fish Creek Lacombe.
    Lots that currently have the highest usage (in addition to the above) – Dalhousie, Brentwood, Barlow-Max Bell, Shawnessy, Southland, Chinook, and 39 Ave S.
    Remaining LRT station lots (depending on demand).
    Reserved parking will not be available in parking lots that serve bus routes at this time but may be added to the program at a later date, based on customer demand.

It is anticipated that it may take approximately two months to fully establish the reserved areas in all of the lots and this too will be based on customer demand.

If you would like to be notified about when we will begin accepting reservations and how the program will work please sign up for Calgary Transit Email Alerts for park and ride, starting Wednesday, February 23. You will be able to specify which lots you are interested in learning about. When you have signed up, we will automatically email you the information as soon as it is available.
    http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/park_and_ride_changes.html

My Ride
    Bicycle

I'm sure there are ways to capture that, you probably still need to submit a plate number per reservation. How else can they tell if the car need to be towed from a reserved spot.

I think it's fair since many in this thread already brought up that free lot means more cars which will lead to waking up earlier to fight for spots.

A reserve system is the best way to deal with it.

Just don't know how they would implement it operationally. Would the Park Plus system remains for reservation check-in's?
    Last edited by Xtrema; 02-17-2011 at 01:21 PM.

7th ave corridor down for installing new realtime signs this weekend. A nice idea, but they are less competent than I thought if they have to shut down every bloody station for the entire weekend. I look forward to seeing a lot of people at the game not realize that they are going to be trapped waiting for shuttle buses after the flames game friday.

Last edited by kaput; 03-22-2019 at 06:57 PM.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

reset the system.

Page 6 of 55 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast