Quantcast
Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread - Page 40 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary Public Transit Discussion Thread

Originally posted by codetrap
    Not to mention the fact that pretty much nobody feels safe on the trains after regular hours. I have a friend that works for CT and she won't ride the trains when she's working late even though the station is nice short walk home. That really says something to me.
    I sort of understand this for females given the handful of recent rape cases. I can't say that I'd ever avoid the train for safety reasons but I avoid it for many other reasons

I've never understood why we don't have silent alarms on the train like in Vancouver. Pretty stupid.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by codetrap
    Not to mention the fact that pretty much nobody feels safe on the trains after regular hours. I have a friend that works for CT and she won't ride the trains when she's working late even though the station is nice short walk home. That really says something to me.
    Even myself downtown around the City Hall area in the wee hours of the morning is sketch ville. There are a lot of weird people and odd shit that goes on around there and that is a pretty public area.

Westbrook at 4:30 in the morning is a complete ghost town and NOBODY is around. It doesn't give people a feeling of safety if they wanted to travel.

My Ride

Originally posted by kertejud2

I'm still not sure why they didn't just make it a $3.25 fare but price out ticket packs and passes as though they were $3.15 each.
    A co-worker of mine suggested they did this to push for the sales of the new Connect card that's coming out soon. Why scramble to find an extra nickle and dime when you can just conveniently load up your card and tap it....Just a theory, could be wrong.

The smart people will go to the bus and put in $3 or less for a transfer and get away with it because the bus drivers don't really care and are actually being encouraged not to enforce payment to avoid conflict or assault

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Why are people so bent out of shape over .10 cents? seriously. So what. Pay the 3.25 and move on.

My Ride
    Has four wheels

I'm starting a new job downtown in a couple of weeks, and due to the location of my current job, I haven't worked downtown in about 4 years.

I'm on the waiting list for a reserved parking spot at the Crowfoot and Dalhousie LRT stations, but I doubt I'll get one anytime soon.

For the people who take the train from the NW every day, how quickly do the free sections of the parking lots fill up? I could go to either Tuscany, Crowfoot, or Dalhousie, but the first two are more convenient.

Judging from some of the searching/reading I've done, they fill up really fast, some even before 6AM, it seems like? Might just be better to pay to park downtown...

My Ride
    Grimace

Originally posted by Stealth22
    I'm starting a new job downtown in a couple of weeks, and due to the location of my current job, I haven't worked downtown in about 4 years.

I'm on the waiting list for a reserved parking spot at the Crowfoot and Dalhousie LRT stations, but I doubt I'll get one anytime soon.

For the people who take the train from the NW every day, how quickly do the free sections of the parking lots fill up? I could go to either Tuscany, Crowfoot, or Dalhousie, but the first two are more convenient.

Judging from some of the searching/reading I've done, they fill up really fast, some even before 6AM, it seems like? Might just be better to pay to park downtown...
    I have a spot at crowfoot I could rent out to you for a bit

Just some of the perks that come from actually supporting other parties leading into an election year:

In a historic move, the federal government has announced 1.5 billion dollars from the Public Transit Fund will be awarded to the Green Line project. This is the single largest infrastructure investment in Alberta’s history.

http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2015/...ard-green.html

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

For that kind of money could they not have put 7th ave underground?

My Ride
    Horse

Oh great, I can finally take the train downtown when I'm in my fucking 50's... At least they're going to use low floor trains though, awesome. Glad to see this plan but man, we needed this like 10 years ago.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    For that kind of money could they not have put 7th ave underground?
    Then they wouldn't get the Green Line, and that is considered the priority.

It is also important to mention that there isn't a plan to put both lines underground at 7th, only one of them.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Is this completely separated from the current lines, or do they join each other downtown?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Is this completely separated from the current lines, or do they join each other downtown?
    Separated. With underground downtown.

My Ride
    Grimace

Good now that some funding is in place. This should be a well used line and is tying in areas where you have to take dumb bus routes before.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

What street will it be going up north on? Can't tell if that's Centre Street or Edmonton Trail.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

Originally posted by Cos
    Wow huge news. Great for us out of towners who can park and use your transit system. Suckers.
    This, no longer will my commute involve taking the train through the NE! although there is sometimes some decent entertainment...

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

Originally posted by Canmorite
    What street will it be going up north on? Can't tell if that's Centre Street or Edmonton Trail.
    It's always been centre. From what I have read of the plans its underground from downtown north to 26th Ave and above from there North.

So does this mean no more temporary brt green line? They are going straight into building the C train?
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

My Ride
    Hybrid

Originally posted by killramos
    From what I have read of the plans its underground from downtown north to 26th Ave and above from there North.
    Pretty sure this part hasn't been decided yet. There was a study comparing 3 (or 4?) options along Centre St, with tunnelling being far and away the most expensive.

I'm pretty sure the way things are going, they'll just drop it straight down the middle of Centre Street and convert the 2 remaining lanes into bike lanes.
    Originally posted by max_boost
    Hey baller, any problem money can solve is no problem at all. Don't sweat it.

My Ride
    Blue Dabadee

From what I read I thought the underground to 26th was pretty well decided. There are a bunch of options for what they are doing north of there between train plus 2 lanes widening the road. Train plus 1 lane with pedestrian infrastructure. Train plus lane plus bike lane etc.

Honestly they basically don't have the option to be above south of 16th IMO. It just won't work.

The city of calgary long term planning paper on it is a lengthy but interesting read.
    Originally posted by Thales of Miletus

If you think I have been trying to present myself as intellectually superior, then you truly are a dimwit.
    Originally posted by Toma
    fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolobimmer View Post

guessing who I might be, psychologizing me with your non existent degree.

The main issue is that the grade needed to have an underground station from downtown up Centre Street would make a Crescent Heights station unfeasible (and be far and away the most costly). However all the options that would allow above grade (and therefore a station between downtown and 16th Ave) are far from ideal themselves.

Essentially it comes down to just how important is a Crescent Heights station and how much are people able and willing to pay for it.
    Last edited by kertejud2; 07-24-2015 at 04:28 PM.

Page 40 of 55 FirstFirst ... 30 39 40 41 50 ... LastLast