Quantcast
Automatic transmission, which gear to use for city? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Automatic transmission, which gear to use for city?

My Ride
    '98 Maxima SE, '97 I30t

Default Automatic transmission, which gear to use for city?

I have always wondered, what is the BEST way to preserve the life of an automatic transmission other than the basic fluid changes?

I do mostly city driving (~90%) and a lot of that is stop and go driving..just wondering if I drove in "2" (4th gear not used) would that help save unneeded wear and tear on the transmission or is it wiser to just drive it in "D" or "OD" (4th gear is used)? On my old car I use to drive on "2" because of the better speed control but ever since I got my new car, I've been driving using the D/OD, basically for fuel economy reasons. I've always been taught to use "2" in city and "D/OD" in highway.

Right now I'm more concerned with longevitiy of the car over trying to squeeze out any last mpg.

Any advice is appreciated!

SHIFT_

The less manual changing of gears the better, ie; don't start off in first from a light and shift up like you were driving a standard!! This is teenage experience talking here
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    335i

It's an automatic transmission - let it do the shifting. Keep it on D.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    240sx, 1991 Supra mk3 tt, 4-speed 93 Benz 320e

Drive-Overdrive, it's called automatic for a reason

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If your nissan works like a honda where if you put it in 2, it stays there then you are working the torque converter harder than you need to. put it in D.

My Ride
    '98 Maxima SE, '97 I30t

Well typically in city driving, I'm in and around 50-60km/h...in "2", my rev's are 2,500-3,000rpms while in "D" w/ OD on, I'm in at around 1,100-1,450rpms...Isn't that underreving the engine and wouldn't it be bad for it?

There is a thread on the Maxima forums that you shouldn't keep turning the OD on and off while driving but with OD off, it seems to give me the best rpm selection, right around 1,700-2,100rpms..

I'm sort of torn as to which one should be best..

SHIFT_

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

Just leave it in 'D' and turn off your 'OD' when you're in the city.

Originally posted by CRX-R
    The less manual changing of gears the better, ie; don't start off in first from a light and shift up like you were driving a standard!! This is teenage experience talking here
    Depends on the car, i can do that in my benzo no problem....

My Ride
    ...BNT0B0X...

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Depends on the car, i can do that in my benzo no problem....

Also depends on the driver...Pulling Schuey type downshifts in an Auto...bad idea...Neutral Drops...although maybe "cool" as the kids say, again...not too healthy...
    ...@therealarifjina...

i know in my car... when im in D the transmission gear brakes (a downshift when i come off the gas)... but when im in OD i can coast without downshifting.

My Ride
    S/C 03 eclipse, 00 accord, 96 shadow, 06 TJ Sport

Thats funny people with autos trying to drive like they have a manny.

My Ride
    88 solownoma

use od in anything over 80km/h and d with anything under tats what i was told

My Ride
    a wrx.

leave the car in overdrive and let the tranny do its job. "overdrive" is just a mode that allows the tranny to use its highest gear. u should leave it in OD so that the car can use all of its gears. if u are worried it wont be in a low enough gear for power, dont worry about it!! the tranny will still downshift to a lower gear if it needs to, even in OD!! if that still isnt enough, well then the problem isnt the tranny, its that the car is underpowered to begin with.

the OD button is present on most cars to allow the driver to turn off OD when going up or down a hill to prevent the tranny from "hunting" between 3rd and 4th nonstop.

Originally posted by sputnik
    i know in my car... when im in D the transmission gear brakes (a downshift when i come off the gas)... but when im in OD i can coast without downshifting.
    actually the way it would work is that when u are in D, the tranny is in 3rd and as a result will engine brake harder than when ure in OD (4th gear). there is still engine braking, but its less noticeable cuz of the gearing.

and btw, a transmission doesnt do any braking, the engine does. a transmission only transmits power between the engine and wheels.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    leave the car in overdrive and let the tranny do its job. "overdrive" is just a mode that allows the tranny to use its highest gear. u should leave it in OD so that the car can use all of its gears. if u are worried it wont be in a low enough gear for power, dont worry about it!! the tranny will still downshift to a lower gear if it needs to, even in OD!! if that still isnt enough, well then the problem isnt the tranny, its that the car is underpowered to begin with.

the OD button is present on most cars to allow the driver to turn off OD when going up or down a hill to prevent the tranny from "hunting" between 3rd and 4th nonstop.

I was preparing to type out a long post, but GTS Jeff already has it covered. As was also mentioned earlier in the thread, its called auto for a reason. Only time you need to interfere with the gearing is when you are going up a hill at highway speeds or towing. If you absolutely must fiddle with your automatic, sell your car and get a car with a manumatic transmission (automatic tranny but you select the individual gears like with a manual transmission).

Originally posted by 1badPT
    If you absolutely must fiddle with your automatic, sell your car and get a car with a manumatic transmission (automatic tranny but you select the individual gears like with a manual transmission).
    Very well said
    You don't wanna race me.... you've seen taillights like mine a thousand times!!!!

RIP T.T. Feb 09 2004

My Ride
    '98 Maxima SE, '97 I30t

Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't manually shift my auto, but with the roads and inconsistent speeds and my light foot, I'm finding that I'm needlessly using the 4th gear and when I hear my engine under rev and the car shake it bothers me.

Isn't under revving stressful to the engine?

SHIFT_

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

If you car is shaking, you may need a tune up of sorts...

Have you gotten your trannie fluid flushed lately? Changing old fluid can do wonders for smoothness.

My Ride
    2009 Elantra Touring

True, and don't go cheap on your tranny flush. The crap they have at Walmart will ruin your transmission (they say they have a formula that will work in all transmissions - NOT POSSIBLE). Most transmissions have a very specific formula (Chryslers/Hyundais/Mitsus typically uses a super light ATF-4 while GM's typically use a thicker fluid with a Dexron additive - Dexron is crucial for GM transmission while it will destroy a Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsu transmission). I dunno what your transmission uses, but whatever its costs, pay it, its well worht it. When did you last have it tuned up?

My Ride
    a wrx.

Originally posted by Bonka
    Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't manually shift my auto, but with the roads and inconsistent speeds and my light foot, I'm finding that I'm needlessly using the 4th gear and when I hear my engine under rev and the car shake it bothers me.

Isn't under revving stressful to the engine?
    well chances are that if the ecu says to use 4th, then 4th gear is probably fine. the car shouldnt be shaking at all if u are driving with a light foot, even when the revs are low.

if the engine shakes at lower revs, then theres something wrong wid it.

My Ride
    '98 Maxima SE, '97 I30t

Originally posted by 1badPT
    True, and don't go cheap on your tranny flush. The crap they have at Walmart will ruin your transmission (they say they have a formula that will work in all transmissions - NOT POSSIBLE). Most transmissions have a very specific formula (Chryslers/Hyundais/Mitsus typically uses a super light ATF-4 while GM's typically use a thicker fluid with a Dexron additive - Dexron is crucial for GM transmission while it will destroy a Chrysler/Hyundai/Mitsu transmission). I dunno what your transmission uses, but whatever its costs, pay it, its well worht it. When did you last have it tuned up?
    I guess it makes sense to get it dealer serviced?

I bought my Maxima used but it was dealer serviced only but it's due for an oil change which I plan to switch to synthetic..

I plan on a full tune up as I need a few things addressed: alignment, fuel filter, air filter, etc..

Would there be any benefit to using synthetic transmission fluid or should I just use whatever the dealership puts in there? I plan on bringing in my own motor oil and spark plugs rather than use their stuff..Yeah I'm pretty picky in what goes into my car
    Last edited by Bonka; 01-08-2004 at 08:07 PM.

SHIFT_

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast