Quantcast
Ice buildup on driveway/sidewalk from drainspouts - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Ice buildup on driveway/sidewalk from drainspouts

My Ride
    '99 Honda Civic SI

Default Ice buildup on driveway/sidewalk from drainspouts

Having an issue with our new house. We have a small stip of grass between us and the neighbours. This of course is now a 2.5'-3' tall snowbank after shovelling the driveway of the snow we've had. Unfortunately our drainspout for the house drains onto that part of grass and with the weather turning nice now we have the water pooling into the driveway and turning it into a skating rink when it refreezes. Anyone have any idea how to prevent this? We are unfortunately on a very shallow slope to the road so its going to be tough to bury a drainage line next spring/summer to prevent this for the following winter. I am thinking I might just have to go purchase a bunch of extension tubing for the drainspout and run it the length of the driveway along the side. Going to make it difficult for shovelling and its not going to prevent the same issue on the sidewalk but will have to just be dilligent with salt I guess.

Anyone run into this problem or have any better/alternative solutions? Thanks.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The slope doesn't really need to be very steep. If there is any incline at all, it will flow. And as long as there are no low points, then provided the starting point of the water is higher than the end point, a drainage pipe out to the road should suffice.

An alternative would be to have the downspout go into weeping tile under your front lawn. If you don't know, weeping tile is a pipe with holes in it to allow a little drainage through the full length of the pipe. It is a little tricky to install though, as it requires a good amount of gravel around it to promote drainage and to keep the dirt from plugging the holes.

I recently installed a direct (solid - no holes) pipe from my rear downspout right along my property line and draining out to a concrete trough that separates my property from the one behind mine. Though the property isn't THAT tilted, my incline/decline is probably more than yours. I guess I'll find out in the next few days how successful the system works...
    Last edited by Kloubek; 01-19-2011 at 04:34 PM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

One of our recent customers had the same problem. What we did for them was built a mini pergola and ran the down spout through it and re-routed the water so it would pool elsewhere. I'll try to find a pic and post it.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

My Ride
    '99 Honda Civic SI

Originally posted by ddduke
    One of our recent customers had the same problem. What we did for them was built a mini pergola and ran the down spout through it and re-routed the water so it would pool elsewhere. I'll try to find a pic and post it.
    Good stuff. Thanks!

Looked a little closer today and it looks like part of the problem is from the neighbours house as well. Their drainspout also empties onto the same small strip and since there is a slight downward slope towards my house I am getting both my runoff as well as theirs.... The house is newly built and still under they 1 year warranty. Anyone think it might be worth following up with the builder?

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

There is supposed to be a grade which funnels the water pretty much directly between the TWO properties. If it is instead coming to your side, then the grade is not likely as intended. I'd speak to the builder - sure... why not? If they can provide enough slope between the two properties then it should at least run down at the property line rather than on your driveway.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    The slope doesn't really need to be very steep. If there is any incline at all, it will flow. And as long as there are no low points, then provided the starting point of the water is higher than the end point, a drainage pipe out to the road should suffice.

An alternative would be to have the downspout go into weeping tile under your front lawn. If you don't know, weeping tile is a pipe with holes in it to allow a little drainage through the full length of the pipe. It is a little tricky to install though, as it requires a good amount of gravel around it to promote drainage and to keep the dirt from plugging the holes.

I recently installed a direct (solid - no holes) pipe from my rear downspout right along my property line and draining out to a concrete trough that separates my property from the one behind mine. Though the property isn't THAT tilted, my incline/decline is probably more than yours. I guess I'll find out in the next few days how successful the system works...
    problem with weeping style pipes from what i've heard is they often get ice build up and water just backs up and eventually creates an ice block.

We have a similar issue and with the road generally higher than the bottom of your driveway in the winter we get pretty bad ice pooling which could create a bad slipping hazard. For now we are just throwing down a ton of sand/grit to keep people from slipping. Would be nice to get a permanent solution though.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

It is indeed possible to get an ice block, yes. But when it is so cold you get that, then it is not likely to be warm enough for a lot of melt-off anyway. At least, that's my theory.

I think in a case like your own J-hop, Ive seen people put a drainage grate across the driveway where the low point is. Seems like a lot of work though...

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

I had a similar problem at my house. What we ended up doing was get a gutter guy in to relocate the downspout. It solved our problem but it all depends on your house.