Quantcast
24 Hour License Suspension ? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: 24 Hour License Suspension ?

Default 24 Hour License Suspension ?

i have just received a 24 hour license suspension and im wandering if this will effect my insurance. I was not Ticketed with anything other than a dirty license plate.

The problem escalated from the smell of mary jane in the car. i did some reading and tryed to find the reason for the suspension. i think it was,

24-hour disqualification re alcohol or drug

s. 89 (1) If a peace officer reasonably suspects that the driver of a motor vehicle has consumed alcohol or otherwise introduced into the driver's body any alcohol, drug or other substance in such a quantity so as to affect the driver's physical or mental ability, the peace officer may require the driver to surrender the driver's operator's licence to the peace officer.

so he had a reasonable cause that part is clear.

So is my insurance affected by this? nothing was proved and the only ticket i received was the one described above.

thanks in advance for the advice.

im insured through AMA if that helps any.

You will have no recourse from a 24 hour suspension other than having your license revoked for 24 hours. No record. No fine. No ill effect on your insurance. It wont even end up on an abstract.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Quit smoking dope in the car and learn to spell? You're lucky, you got a warning.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

thanks.

My Ride
    Model S

No record, because it's an unconstitutional bullshit penalty, and there is less chance that it will be challenged if they don't make it too devastating.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by 97'Scort
    Quit smoking dope in the car and learn to spell? You're lucky, you got a warning.
    +1

Wish the government was harsher on people like this.

Originally posted by snoop101

+1

Wish the government was harsher on people like this.
    But, but guys, weed is the best thing ever. Everyone and their kids should be doing it.

Just look at the discussion thread in ask leo about it. Apparently it doesn't impair a person at all, isn't bad for your health, great for kids to do at school and it has no withdrawal symptoms or other effects.

I'm surprised the OP didn't go the typical stoner route and just explain to the cop that it shouldn't be illegal and that he just does it to relax.

My Ride
    Hatred

But it helps with my glaucoma.
    -U

My Ride
    Model S

Really, over weed? People are still that sheltered? I almost feel bad for you guys

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

BrknFngrs - I remember how scared I was before I smoked weed for the first time and realized that it made me drive slow and pay close attention to detail.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    93 integra

I was a strong advocate of weed until it gave me severe bronchitis...I will still toke but i am going to be cutting back quite extremely to maybe a weekend a month.

And OP you are lucky you just got a warning.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

Originally posted by ekguy
    I was a strong advocate of weed until it gave me severe bronchitis...
    Weed also gave you an inability to use logic, I think we have a case here.

FYI bronchitis is a virus, weed does not have the ability to introduce a virus into your system, it can only make you slightly more susceptible to said virus.
    Therefore, you can equally blame your lack of physical activity as blame MJ for acquiring a virus.

How do you know it was caused directly by smoking weed?
    Or are you coming to medical conclusions without evidence and without any medical training or knowledge?
    Tobacco smoke has been known to aid in the acquisition or worsen bronchitis cases, so why do you see smokers go 10 years smoking a pack a day without ever getting bronchitis?

That aside, if MJ is illegal because there is a chance it could cause bronchitis, we should ban strong chemicals and tobacco as well.
    Last edited by Modelexis; 01-23-2011 at 03:44 PM.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Hatred

Weed robbed my mom and punched my dog. Damn you WEED DAMN YOU!!!!
    -U

My Ride
    G6

I had a buddy get pulled over and the officer thought she smelled weed. He told her that he'd been gutting a deer earlier and that some of the odour stuck in the car and that's what she smelled. She let him go.

It'd be my go-to excuse if I smoked weed. Can convince them? Confuse them.

The smell of weed does not necessarily mean you are high. Did you admit to smoking it?
    -Fighting on arrival, fighting for survival-

Originally posted by Modelexis

FYI bronchitis is a virus, weed does not have the ability to introduce a virus into your system, it can only make you slightly more susceptible to said virus.
    Therefore, you can equally blame your lack of physical activity as blame MJ for acquiring a virus.

Or are you coming to medical conclusions without evidence and without any medical training or knowledge?
    Tobacco smoke has been known to aid in the acquisition or worsen bronchitis cases, so why do you see smokers go 10 years smoking a pack a day without ever getting bronchitis?

That aside, if MJ is illegal because there is a chance it could cause bronchitis, we should ban strong chemicals and tobacco as well.
    You know, a quick check of wikipedia would have saved you a lot of typing. You may even learn something if you go right now.

RULE NUMBER 1 IS NEVER ADMIT TO ANYTHING. Hence why it was only a 24 hour suspension. the bong and bag of weed+ several busters helped the cop decide to suspend my license.

officer it was smoked in here approximately 12-15 hours ago. i got away with saying i had smoked it about 3-4 hours ago. no visible signs of being high so they left me alone. this happened only 2 days before this incident, i received 2 tickets in the last 2 weeks all because of my plate being covered. they are looking for it so beware.

on this occasion there was to much paraphernalia in the car because my buddy had it all with him. i received no charges and called my insurance company to see if it affected my insurance, the answer was no. fyi to all the people, there is no way an officer can write you a ticket for dui on dope, you would have to admit to it or be extremely unlucky and get a tester to the area before the highs up. most of the time your high will be done by the time said person arrives. and no ticket will follow because your not high at that instance. my friend panicked and said he was the one smoking it( not a smart choice). oh well live and learn. if your going to smoke a joint take the time and step out of your vehicle and do it outside. the smell alone warrants a search and possible suspension of your license.

no need to voice your opinion on smoking weed i just needed a question answered. the "non-smokers" get upset when they see things like this and its understandable. you are a hazard to other drivers on the road even if you don't think so, you are. this is the same as drunk driving, its fine for you but when you hit that car with the family in it, then it becomes others problem.

My Ride
    93 integra

Originally posted by Modelexis

i was coming to the conclusion because I smoked everyday from when I was done work to when i went to bed...My coughing got worse and worse and worse until finally....bam bronchitis. I know it's a virus. But I know that my lungs were completely tired and done from my constant smoking...I am thinking maybe now is a great time to stop. But either way like I said before OP is lucky to have gotten off pretty much scott free. Cops should have done more than a 24 hour suspension.

Originally posted by adaradar
    RULE NUMBER 1 IS NEVER ADMIT TO ANYTHING........i got away with saying i had smoked it about 3-4 hours ago.....

WUT?

On a related note, dont even call your insurance company. They would have made a note that you smoke weed and will explore that avenue next time you make a claim looking for an out.