Quantcast
Vancouver Island - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Vancouver Island

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Vancouver Island

I know there are a few beyonders on the island and part of my road trip this summer is going to be spending a couple weeks, or longer there. I have a list of things I'd like to do but just started looking at where to do them but more importantly, where would be the most rewarding. In no particular order..

- Scuba Dive
    - Horseback riding
    - Juan De Fuca
    - Surfing
    - Kayaking
    - Fishing
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fat Boy riding a Fat Boy

Default Re: Vancouver Island

Originally posted by msommers
    I know there are a few beyonders on the island and part of my road trip this summer is going to be spending a couple weeks, or longer there. I have a list of things I'd like to do but just started looking at where to do them but more importantly, where would be the most rewarding. In no particular order..

- Scuba Dive
    - Horseback riding
    - Juan De Fuca
    - Surfing
    - Kayaking
    - Fishing
    Generally speaking, the scuba, kayaking and fishing would be best up in the Courtney, Campbell River area. From there you could head over to the west side to Tofino and get your surfing in.

If you want to stay closer to Victoria, you could do the Juan De Fuca trail, surf in Jordan River and fish in Sooke or Port Renfrew. I've seen scuba divers right off Dallas Road in Victoria.

Sailing man, go sailing to salt spring islands.

+1 for Tofino. Stayed here. Absolute relaxation.

http://www.middlebeach.com/
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Tofino is the best surfing for sure. Not sure about fishing, I just go toss a line off the breakwater and get baked haha. Diving, there is tons around Victoria as well as further up island. In the summer there's biking up at Mt. Washington if your into that. Like i said in the scuba thread I should be done my divemaster by then, but if not I'm still always down to take people out.

My Ride
    V8s

Tofino is great, but its super commercial there. It is definitely great when you get a place on the beach and just wanna relax, I wouldn't wanna spend a lot of time there. Another place that's much less commercial, but pretty cool is Ucluelet... small town with a small town feel. If you're passing through Tofino, I would suggest staying over at Ucluelet one night. Some really nice hikes/walks along the ocean.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Sooke is a great place to fish. For sea kayaking I would suggest the gulf islands area. Tubing down the Cowichan river is popular with locals. As someone else said Tofino can be a tourist trap in the summer.

My Ride
    impreza

Gulf Islands can be great for kayaking, it's where I always go. Other places that are supposed to be good are: Desolation Sound, Johnstone Strait/Telegraph Cove, Broken Islands and Campbell River.

I always like going to Parksville. The beach is pretty nice when the tide goes out over a kilometre.

If you want to go whale watching Telegraph Cove is a great spot.

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Sooke for fishing, lots of smaller charters. Kayaking is definite gulf islands. For hiking, the Juan de Fuca trail (China and Mystic beaches are good day trips if you just want to smell the saltwater and do a couple hours of hiking).

There honestly isn't too much you can go wrong with. Hell, I live here and I still haven't been to Tofino.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'm more obliged to travel around the whole island than a particular area.

I've heard Tofino has been quite commercialized now and really not into that. Would much rather take the local paths with little to no luxury.

Freeskier, are people able to get certified out there or should I get that done here in Calgary first? Also, if you're willing to take people out, I'd be more than happy to partake.

Cos, do they have sailing lessons? I have never done it but that sounds like a blast.

Oh, is it worthwhile to drive up to Port Hardy and see stuff around there?
    Last edited by msommers; 01-22-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

Port Hardy is a long, boring drive from Campbell River, nothing but trees & more trees. If you want to do a scenic tour, drive from Victoria to Campbell River on the back roads along the coast as much as you can.

There are some nice spots along the way to get out and take in the views... Cowichan Bay, Maple Bay, Crofton, Chemainus, Ladysmith. Nanaimo offers up lots of great views too. The drive on the 19A from Parksville to Campbell River is nice as well.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

Yeah for sure you can do the whole course out here at any of the shops either in vic or up island. I would book ahead to make sure they are running a course at the time you are here.
    But also you could do the classroom part in Calgary and then schedule the open water dives out here (There are 4 if I remember rightly?).

I miss hanging out on the island, used to be down there half often.

I've lived in Victoria for the last five years. Don't bother driving north past Campbell River. If you want a change go to one of the gulf islands, like Cortes.

Port Renfew is nice, Botanical Beach is a good place to go for hiking and general west coast sight seeing.

I really like Tofino, it's not as commercialized as people make it out to be. Still a great place to go for a weekend.

You've got the right ideas, there really isn't anything to do here other than outdoor activities.

My Ride
    V8s

Tofino is all hotels and restaurants lol. Few locals spend time up there, other than to serve or work at hotels. Lots that I've talked to won't surf there either, they go to Jordan River.

And +1 for botanical beach, but check the tide chart to make sure it's out before you make the visit. Not really worth it if the water is high IMO.

Originally posted by Supa Dexta
    I miss hanging out on the island, used to be down there half often.
    Same here. My old man worked on the Ferries. Horseshoe Bay-Nanaimo run, and I could travel for free. Use to go to the Island a half a dozen times a year...all free travel. Haven't been there since 1991.

Also, depending on the dates there may be car shows or boat shows.

Last year was a huge meet at the end of June with 20s-50s roadsters from all over the states and canada- many trailered in as they are gorgeous show vehicles. This event was free as many of them are and had more cars than world of wheels!

Tall ships boat event was supposed to swing through this summer but its been cancelled. Check around though and there is good chance other shows may happen

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

I lived in Nanaimo for 13 years.

SCUBA - there are numerous artificial reefs right off the coast around Nanaimo.

You will want a dry-suit certificate though, the water is around 4c pretty much year round.

Confined-entry cert would be a good idea if you plan on exploring the reefs.

Kayaking (no huge waves) - around the Gulf Islands would be a nice multi-day trek. Done it before....you can depart from pretty much any city on the east coast though as most rent boats.
    Last edited by revelations; 01-23-2011 at 08:39 PM.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

^ Unless he plans on doing more wreck dives, I'd say the wreck course wouldn't be all that necessary. Most of the wrecks and artificial reefs are pretty decent to dive on without getting into reels and all that.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Great info, thanks.

It seems that The Dive Shop in Calgary will do open water, confined diving and dry suit all in one package so I might try that.
    Ultracrepidarian