Quantcast
I would just like to brag... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: I would just like to brag...

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Default I would just like to brag...

Finally got my SSD installed with Windoze 7 Ultimate. 5 second startup times from cold boot, instant access to programs running on the C drive.

Memory Express had OCZ Vertex 2 pros on sale for $119.99 (60gb) during their boxing day sales. They use the sandforce 1200 controller, which is almost as good as the 1500 which is no longer used in the home user models of ssd's, and the best thing of all is they are competitive with Intel's super retarded expensive SSD's. Its amazing that I get better performance than a RAID setup of raptor harddrives for cheaper!

I think I'm in love

Sweet.

Can't wait to include one in my next build.

My Ride
    W204

SSDs rock.. But do make sure you configure Windows properly, such as eliminating your swap disk, moving temp (in your global temp variables) dirs to an HDD, making sure your programs that likes to write tons of small files to disk (like download manager, SABNZBD, Torrent) are configured to use your HDD for storing temp files, moving email to HDD, moving temp internet file storage to HDD (or just turn it off altogether like I do). That's all I can think of for now. These small writes kill SSD performance.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

I picked up a Kingston SSDNow V Series Gen II 64GB SSD to replace my failing OS HD on my HTPC and the difference was astounding. Its a slower SSD compaired to many on the market but the inpact it had on startup and load times was night and day.

Best of all is that i got it on sale from ncix for $89.

My Ride
    Civicnation

was thinking of getting a 2.5'' for my macbook (1.5 yrs old). 160gig regular drive (?probably 5400 rpm i'm guessing).

anyone done this before? notice a big improvement? im willing to go down on storage space. dont use much anyways.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

yeah i'd like to try a raid on 2 ssds for gaming - im almost certain ill have my mind blown with the extreme cut in loading times, i could only dream (until SSDs drop in price)

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by clem24
    SSDs rock.. But do make sure you configure Windows properly, such as eliminating your swap disk, moving temp (in your global temp variables) dirs to an HDD, making sure your programs that likes to write tons of small files to disk (like download manager, SABNZBD, Torrent) are configured to use your HDD for storing temp files, moving email to HDD, moving temp internet file storage to HDD (or just turn it off altogether like I do). That's all I can think of for now. These small writes kill SSD performance.
    I got a SSD as my OS drive in my new built, while it is speedier compare to a traditional HDD.

Would you mind providing some instruction on how to do what you had described?

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by HiSpec

I got a SSD as my OS drive in my new built, while it is speedier compare to a traditional HDD.

Would you mind providing some instruction on how to do what you had described?
    Places like tweaktown.com, anandtech.com, overclockers.net, and the like all have this info/guides. Probably best to go and search there as you should get very specific info.

As for the suggestion, thanks! I will tweak it after work today, should be interesting. I'm mainly worried about longevity/maintaining its performance as its already mind-blowingly fast

I put a 64Gb SSD in my PS3. GT5 loading times are much more impressive. I use a 256GB SSD on my daily lol. 1 on my ASUS laptop and 1 on my Macbook air

My Ride
    2011 Mitsubishi Lancer GT

meh ive had a SSD in my laptop since last year

My Ride
    958.2 Cayenne Diesel

Originally posted by clem24
    This is really important, I didn't do this and now I am pretty tooled haha Low disk space warnings all the time lol
    Originally posted by arian_ma
    your stomach is full of sulfuric acid

Oh and remember to setup your bios correctly too. AHCI for trim