Quantcast
I don't get "scotch". - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: I don't get "scotch".

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Scotch Whiskey is something you need to slowly enjoy and not slosh down. Start with blends on the rocks, and then try it neat. Then go to single malts on the rocks and then neat.

Sip it, don't shoot it.

My Ride
    an old black cab

Tullibardine is a really nice blend that goes down smoothly, I usually recommend this for "beginners" but prefer a single malt myself

My Ride
    M5 Competition

If I want a nice warm buzz while enjoying conversation with some friends, nothing is better then sipping on scotch.

You don't get bloated, you don't feel full, and you don't need to piss all the time.

Barlow is offline I was under probation for 2 years

I Love Scotch.

Almost as much as Ron Burgandy, but i do not know enough about it yet, but I am experimenting with neat, diferent amount of ice cubes ( rocks) and also Warm Scotch. Really liking the warm scotch!

Barlow

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Can't do scotch, tastes like turpentine.

My Ride
    2010 MazdaSpeed3

Scotch is good. My first one was glenlivet, and I wondered how I would ever finish the glass. I did, and I've finished many more after that.

Ironically I find the "lighter" ones to have more of that high alcohol bite/burn.

Lagavulin is my favorite, it is rich and smoky. Rich doesn't mean that a newbie won't like it. I don't know Calgary but find a place where you can try lots of different kinds.

A little ice or water is acceptable, lots of people say it enhances the scotch. Keep at it, I like the tips of little sips. Really little ones, that you barely even swallow.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by artieg30
    john walker blue label ftw
    Know how I know you're asian...?

A real nice "starter" single malt is the Robert Burns Single Malt. It's a nice light tasting, fruity scented and flavoured scotch with an incredibly subtleness to it. Very easy drinking, I recommend you try it.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My friends like drinking Macallan 10/ 12, they can't taste the difference between the 2, but sometimes a lounge only carries one or the other soo they'll settle with whichever. I tried a glass once and its definitely an acquired taste, something I don't have the patience for to acquire at the moment. haha

How is canadian club?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

thats a great chart^^ could also be the reason some people that have "tried scotch once" didnt like it...

the willow park scotch fest is feb.23rd... $50 all you can taste scotch and food. good deal, i went last year, got to try a 40 year old $600/bottle scotch that was amazing.... (only one try of that one though!)

My Ride
    1917 Model T, VW Baja, '18 Ram 2500 CTD/6spd

Originally posted by l/l/rX
    How is canadian club?
    That's Rye, not Scotch.

As far as I know CC doesn't have a Scotch in their lineup.
    Last edited by carson blocks; 01-28-2011 at 03:47 PM.

There are multiple factors which influence the flavor of the Scotch. Everything from age to where they're produced and any number of things in between.

If you want to enjoy Scotch it's important to educate yourself about it. I've know a few people who went out spent big money on a bottle, hated it, and it turned them off Scotch entirely.

I would agree with those that have suggested starting with a mild blend. Throw a cube in it, and wait for a minute or two, let the cube melt and dilute in. That's how I always have my first of the night, I find two things, the first is that the cube cools down the Scotch and takes the edge out of it a bit, and the additional water not only does that, but it changes the flavor as well. Once I have one or two of those I'll start drinking them neat.

I find there's nothing quite like Scotch. The best I can describe it is that it tastes like drinking a history book. There is just something about it, you can taste the land it came from. I find it a really great experience.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by carson blocks

That's Rye, not Scotch.

As far as I know CC doesn't have a Scotch in their lineup.
    Nor will they. Scotch has to come from Scotland.

My first was a glenmorangie. I got into scotch when I was bartending at a yacht club. The old captains always wanted to teach the finer points.

what do u mean by 'blends'?
    neat just means drinking it straight?
    What is single malts, or malts?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

Originally posted by nonofyobiz
    what do u mean by 'blends'?
    neat just means drinking it straight?
    What is single malts, or malts?
    Blends are generally cheaper. They're different scotches of different origins and ages put together to make one scotch. It's like the leftover stew of scotches. Good mixers.

Neat is straight, on the rocks is with ice.

Single malt is scotch that is from the same distillery. It may be different malts from the same distillery, but as long as it's the same building it's called "single malt." Must be aged a minimum of 3 years. It's malted from barley. (process:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_Scotch)

I prefer my scotch neat with a cigar. While I don't have a favourite (student right now, I take what I can get), the best I've tried was Glenmorangie.
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    4x4

Favorite is laphroaig 18 but I'm generally settling for a 10yr... zyn had a nice 15 cask strength but no more...

For whatever reason, I like the really heavy islays... Great with a nice dominican ceegar... the johnny walkers now taste like american beer

Kinda missing dewey stevens they used to have just about every scotch on the shelf... 5-500bucks a shot...
    Last edited by AndyL; 02-02-2011 at 05:09 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by 97'Scort

Blends are generally cheaper. They're different scotches of different origins and ages put together to make one scotch. It's like the leftover stew of scotches. Good mixers.
    Just a point of clarification. Cheap scotches are almost always blends, but not all blends are cheap. There are some excellent (and expensive) blends available out there.
    I'm pretty new to the scotch world, so far I'm focusing on the Speyside malts. The whiskey guide - Regions
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '97 BMW 328is M-Sport

^ Hence my qualifier, "generally."
    Originally posted by FraserB
    I think their main complaint is that they did not receive the stolen property they paid for.

My Ride
    4x4

laphroaig other than a 8yr was unobtainable last night... grabbed smokeheads instead - the mystery year and black 18yr.

They're interesting... typical islay - the mystery age one is a lot like a caol ila 8 - but stronger islay peatiness... definitely young... flavour lingers quite nicely...

Not sure on the black 18 yet... it's different; yet very familiar...need to try it again tonite - again very peaty, maybe needs ice...

The mystery age one would make a great intro to islays... price was 40$ so quite inexpensive for a single malt...

My Ride
    01 i30

Originally posted by AndyL
    Favorite is laphroaig 18 but I'm generally settling for a 10yr... zyn had a nice 15 cask strength but no more...

For whatever reason, I like the really heavy islays... Great with a nice dominican ceegar... the johnny walkers now taste like american beer

Kinda missing dewey stevens they used to have just about every scotch on the shelf... 5-500bucks a shot...
    I agree, when my buddy graduated he cracked a bottle of blue open, so disappointed. I honestly haven't tried a blended brand I truly loved.

One of my first times having scotch was at Buchanan's. I ordered it on the rocks and the waiter had to hide the cubes in his hand while bringing it to the tables haha.

My Ride
    '08 Suzuki GSXR600

not tooting my own horn here, but i am a scotch FANATIC.
    i have an absolute stiffy for scotch. one brand im REALLY liking is the bruichladdic line up. got a bottle of the 21 year, and its just fabluss!

i like mine straight up though, no ice, no water. sippysipsip!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast