Quantcast
Build my house part II - How much discount can I get from builder? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Build my house part II - How much discount can I get from builder?

Originally posted by rizfarmer
    I bought a Cedarglen house just under a year ago and was able to negotiate about 2% off the price after being told a few times "there is no room to negotiate on the price"

If you had involved a realator at the beginning of your buying process the builder would have had to compensate your realtor So you definitely do have some leverage to negotiate price

Any other beyonders in Valleyview Estates??
    Don't live there, but a good chance I did the tile in your house. I did about a dozen CG homes in there.

My Ride
    TL

Originally posted by benyl

...beyond meet in Aspen...
    Lots still to be developed on the east side of 85th Street.

Springbank Land Co. still needs to develop / release the rest of Aspen Woods Estates -- that entire area behind Safeway.

There is another development by Quinn Corp that is going to be called Aspen Summit which is around 77st and 13th ave, the access to the 85th st from 13th ave will be cut off and need to go through that new area. 13th ave will go to an Aspen Summit Blvd and also connect to Strathcona Drive. Phase 2 in the smaller lot area looks to be 50% bought by a builder(s). I suspect that you will start to see showhomes there in early summer.

That entire Aspen area is going to be a gong show in 5 years for local traffic. Hopefully, the West LRT will relieve some pressure off Bow and 17th for DT access.

I am building in Aspenshire Estates, 89coupe is building in Aspenshire and I think there is someone else in Aspen Hills that built with Albi.

I'm in Aspen Stone just south of you guys.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Did you try Shane, Prominent or Trico? Or are all the ridge lots sold now?

I am building in Aspenshire Estates, 89coupe is building in Aspenshire and I think there is someone else in Aspen Hills that built with Albi.
    Originally posted by cet

I'm in Aspen Stone just south of you guys.
    Redline has a home in Aspen Stone Estates.

I have another buddy in Wentworth & another buddy in Cougar Ridge.

Fergus & Bix is the watering hole. www.fergusandbix.com

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by vtec96

Who else is going Aspen?

I couldn't find any nice lots with Albi or Morrison...
    These two builders have more free upgrades than touchwood!
    A friend of ours is building with http://www.homesbyus.ca/communities.htm

If you want a big lot you are looking at a million dollars plus to build in Aspen.

It's funny though, I know a few people with big lots, & big ass decks but in the end, they are never out there...lol.

I think the most used space in any home is the kitchen. Seems like more people hang out in the kitchen then any other spot in the home.

We designed our entire home/theme off the kitchen. It's the focal point for us.

My Ride
    2008 Ford Edge

Your best bet is to negotiate a cost-plus contract (i.e. cost plus 10%) and you are more likely to get this with a smaller builder. Do this and you won't be subject to the insane margins builders charge on upgrades.

I built this way and it went beautifully. I have copies of every single invoice that went into building my home - from the $20 for a door handle to the many thousands for framing. Nothing is an upgrade this way, you just choose what you want and the builder gets their margin. My builder told me to buy some stuff on my own as well (appliances, window coverings, speakers/theatre gear).

He would present me with a few quotes on some of the big ticket invoices, give me some advice on which trades he'd used before, and let me choose who to go with. He was constantly on site and held his guys to the highest standards (eg. he threatened to kick the siding guys off the job for leaving some empty Timmy's cups on site one day).

This is the only way to know you're getting the best deal possible.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by Jonrox
    Your best bet is to negotiate a cost-plus contract (i.e. cost plus 10%) and you are more likely to get this with a smaller builder. Do this and you won't be subject to the insane margins builders charge on upgrades.

I built this way and it went beautifully. I have copies of every single invoice that went into building my home - from the $20 for a door handle to the many thousands for framing. Nothing is an upgrade this way, you just choose what you want and the builder gets their margin. My builder told me to buy some stuff on my own as well (appliances, window coverings, speakers/theatre gear).

He would present me with a few quotes on some of the big ticket invoices, give me some advice on which trades he'd used before, and let me choose who to go with. He was constantly on site and held his guys to the highest standards (eg. he threatened to kick the siding guys off the job for leaving some empty Timmy's cups on site one day).

This is the only way to know you're getting the best deal possible.
    That is great, but where in Calgary can you build using a custom home builder without having to buy an old home first to tear down and rebuild?

Originally posted by 89coupe
    That is great, but where in Calgary can you build using a custom home builder without having to buy an old home first to tear down and rebuild?
    Most custom home builders have their own inventory of lots. http://www.canterracustomhomes.com/communities.shtml Canterra is building in Aspen Glen

just google "calgary custom homes" for a huge list of builders
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Many of the houses are between 1.2 - 2 in that area.

Many of the houses are between 1.2 - 2 in that area.
    he's 89coupe. And that's just one example. custom builders have lots all over, including the inner city as well. you just need to do the legwork and find a builder with a lot in an area you're looking for.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Originally posted by lint

he's 89coupe. And that's just one example. custom builders have lots all over, including the inner city as well. you just need to do the legwork and find a builder with a lot in an area you're looking for.
    The whole point behind his comment about a small custom builder was to save money. $1M plus is not exactly money saving territory.

The whole point behind his comment about a small custom builder was to save money. $1M plus is not exactly money saving territory.
    and the whole point of my comment was to answer your question. let me refresh
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    M5 Competition

and the whole point of my comment was to answer your question. let me refresh
    Well next time try and follow the conversation, your point was, pointless.

Well next time try and follow the conversation, your point was, pointless.
    No, it just wasn't the answer you wanted to hear. Your question was:
    but where in Calgary can you build using a custom home builder without having to buy an old home first to tear down and rebuild?
    With the usual 89coupe assumption that if you hadn't thought of it or considered it, it must no exist. And no one would do anything that isn't what 89coupe does.

The answer again is: you can find custom builders all over Calgary, some newer communities, lots of older communities, who have already bought up older houses for the lots and knocked them down. You as a home buyer, don't have to buy the old home first. You just find a builder with a lot in a community you're interested in and work with them to build your house. It's not that hard a concept.

You just never bothered to look, because you're getting such a great deal from the builder on all your upgrades.

And it must be nitrogen
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    M5 Competition

No, it just wasn't the answer you wanted to hear. Your question was:
    With the usual 89coupe assumption that if you hadn't thought of it or considered it, it must no exist. And no one would do anything that isn't what 89coupe does.

The answer again is: you can find custom builders all over Calgary, some newer communities, lots of older communities, who have already bought up older houses for the lots and knocked them down. You as a home buyer, don't have to buy the old home first. You just find a builder with a lot in a community you're interested in and work with them to build your house. It's not that hard a concept.

You just never bothered to look, because you're getting such a great deal from the builder on all your upgrades.

And it must be nitrogen
    I've let go of the rope...

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Re: Build my house part II - How much discount can I get from builder?

Originally posted by vtec96
    Hi Guys,

So I asked about buying the show home V.S build a show home.

Now, I decided to build a show home on the better lot location

Here is my next question....
    How much discount can I get?

The builder want $720K to build the house but the show home was asking $680K only!

Well...the lot is $12K more expensive than the show home lot and I want to built a 24X26 garage..

How much should I offer?
    10% off possible?

Thanks a lot
    So did you make a deal?

My Ride
    08 VQ35HR

Wow didn't know so many beyonders live in Aspen area! Btw, just tryed out Thai tai at the Aspen landing mall and it's actually not bad. I mean it ain't no pho from forest lawn but it's decent enough to make me not want to drive across town for a bowl! I had the sate soup and iced coffee. Somehow I thought it was viet subs only place like the one by western high but they actually have a full menu.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Albi has their showhome up for sale, its a bargain price! LOL

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...dKey=712706622

My Ride
    2018 Audi RS3

Who are they kidding at that price?

I'd rather buy some on the homes for sale in Aspen Cliff estates.

Originally posted by nickyh
    Who are they kidding at that price?

I'd rather buy some on the homes for sale in Aspen Cliff estates.
    They have no intentions of selling at that price.

Jayman does the same thing.

They list their show homes at $100k+ over the price to build it yourself to get people into the show home and make them think that they are getting a deal compared to the price the show home is listed at.

Usually happens most when the builders are slow.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast