Quantcast
did u just buy a 98 green durango - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: did u just buy a 98 green durango

My Ride
    2000 honda civic

Angry did u just buy a 98 green durango

so hears a story for who ever bought a 98 durango from country auto about 2 weeks ago.

i sold my durango to them for $2,100 with 280,000km

2 days later they sold it for $5,000
    but what they dont know is that the kms were changed to 190,000km

who ever bought this durango got ripped off and i would let the owner know he got takin for a run and should take a stand and take the durango back and get something with lower kms

durango had flow master exhaust

i hate when people change the clunster and fuck with the kms on a car to make a quick buck

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Default Re: did u just buy a 98 green durango

Originally posted by mrlucky1313
    so hears a story for who ever bought a 98 durango from country auto about 2 weeks ago.

i sold my durango to them for $2,100 with 280,000km

2 days later they sold it for $5,000
    but what they dont know is that the kms were changed to 190,000km

who ever bought this durango got ripped off and i would let the owner know he got takin for a run and should take a stand and take the durango back and get something with lower kms

durango had flow master exhaust

i hate when people change the clunster and fuck with the kms on a car to make a quick buck
    How do you know the mileage was tampered with?

My Ride
    2000 honda civic

it was on kijiji with 190,000 for 4900 the next week

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

That isn't enough to say it was misrepresented to the buyer as having 190,000km. If you had viewed the vehicle and had seen the odometer maybe that would be enough, but a simple typo on Kijiji a fraud does not make.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by Zero102
    That isn't enough to say it was misrepresented to the buyer as having 190,000km. If you had viewed the vehicle and had seen the odometer maybe that would be enough, but a simple typo on Kijiji a fraud does not make.
    While I agree with you, we ARE talking about Chinook Auto Sales here...

Used car lots always pull that crap, a few years back I went to look at a ford escape ltd, 2005 with 80, 000 km, when I got there it was a rat-bagged piece of junk with 250,000 on the clock.
    "Well can I show you something else?" says the salesman.
    Maybe they just hadn't gotten around to rolling the odo back.
    You could say that again. Booze just kept flowing. We walked home (tried to plow at that elgin monument hill park thing) haha...too cold, but that explains the night.
    -WH

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

a simple typo on Kijiji a fraud does not make.
    Ok Yoda.

He's right though - perhaps the ad was incorrect. Easy to figure out if you do manage to find the new owner though.

I find it hard to believe a dealership would be this blatant though - even questionable ones. Way too easy to get caught.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by Kloubek

I find it hard to believe a dealership would be this blatant though - even questionable ones. Way too easy to get caught.
    Exactly this, odometer fraud is one of the oldest tricks in the book. I report mine every time I buy or sell a car to help prevent anybody in the future from getting screwed this way.

Generally dealerships will mis-report the mileage when they are posting ads online to try and draw people in to view the vehicles so they can start the high pressure in-person sales tactics.

I would bet the odometer still read 280k if they sold it. Most likely they sent it to auction or took significantly less than the $4900 they were asking if it went that quick.
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    K-car

I remember selling my old GMC truck a few yrs ago to some guy off Kijiji, it had 350,000kms when i sold it to him.
    A few weeks later i see it back on Kijiji (it was a VERY distinctive truck) with 150,000 kms along with this bs decription that he inherited it from his father in law etc... triple the price i sold it to him for. A month or so later a AMVIC guy showed up at my place asking ME if i had rolled the odo back, he got busted anyhow as this weas not the first time he did that.
    It's not allways the seedy used lots that turn back odometers. It's also a criminal offence with huge fines or jail tim. just not worth the extra $$ imo

My Ride
    2000 honda civic

ya thats the problem with digital cars, easy to swap out the old one for a lower km one

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by mrlucky1313
    ya thats the problem with digital cars, easy to swap out the old one for a lower km one

Actually, cars with digital odometers have made it more difficult. With a mechanical one you could sometimes roll them back, or just swap the whole cluster. Newer cars have cluster IDs embedded into other devices in the body, such as transmission computers, ECU's and body control modules which will all refuse to work should any component's ID change.

My Ride
    03' SVT Cobra 10th ann vert

the big dealerships do it too, just in a different way. its a door crasher, they will have 3 or 4 simalar cars on canadatrader, one will have super low km and the others will be higher and the price is the same for all. In reality there is no low km car there (they say its been sold) just to get you calling. and then they try and sucker you into the higher km ones.

Actually, cars with digital odometers have made it more difficult. With a mechanical one you could sometimes roll them back, or just swap the whole cluster. Newer cars have cluster IDs embedded into other devices in the body, such as transmission computers, ECU's and body control modules which will all refuse to work should any component's ID change.
    was going to say, I know with newer VAG cars it is not a simple task to swap clusters.

My Ride
    2000 honda civic

i know in dodge trucks its as easy as acouple screws and just swap the old for the new one, i know a guy that did it to his dakoda along time ago. just went to pick n pull and got a low km cluster and popped it in.

but who knows till we track down that durango

Default Re: did u just buy a 98 green durango

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 08:33 PM.

Originally posted by J-hop

was going to say, I know with newer VAG cars it is not a simple task to swap clusters.
    But with the proper software/hardware its VERY easy to change the odo without a cluster swap.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Yes, on VAG cars it is remarkably easy with the correct software

That said, it is highly illegal to tamper with the odometer on any vehicle, not to mention unethical. It should never be done under any circumstances except when "rolling forward" an odometer to match your vehicle's true mileage.

Also on VAG cars it is the cluster that refuses to play nice with everything else instead of the other way around.

My Ride
    6.2L V8

never thought there could be so much VAG in a car thread.

the mileage inconsistency would show up in the carfax/carproof, but I guess it's the unsuspecting consumer who doesn't do the proper background checking who gets screwed.

Yes, on VAG cars it is remarkably easy with the correct software

That said, it is highly illegal to tamper with the odometer on any vehicle, not to mention unethical. It should never be done under any circumstances except when "rolling forward" an odometer to match your vehicle's true mileage.

Also on VAG cars it is the cluster that refuses to play nice with everything else instead of the other way around.
    if I am correct (i'll have to check with my buddy who was a VW tech) you can only roll the odometer forward with dealer software.

unless there is some software I don't know of.

Edit: looks like with the ross-tech with a NEW cluster you can change it once, but it specifically notes you can never change this again, so you'd have to buy a new cluster for the vehicle.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast