Quantcast
CIVIC Rally Car Ideas!!! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CIVIC Rally Car Ideas!!!

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Default Budget CIVIC Rally Car!!!

Hey Beyond! Haven't posted many times before, but would like some advice or ideas if you have the time. I am really interested in trying to get a civic rally build going! I have seen some pretty impressive stuff done before with civic hatches. My goal is to find a SUPER cheap car to start with, spend almost nothing on parts or upgrades, and get some rally skills going. I know that almost stock civics can be VERY effective for rally and autocross. Finding a car is being a little bit of a challenge but I'm looking for a ef hatch for around $200 to $400 (I know it super cheap - but that's the point).

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ255791519

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ246251064

If there is anyone out there with cheap civic let me know I want to prepare this civic for this:

http://members.shaw.ca/jdascollas/school.html

After I may keep the car and build it up a little more or just get a new one.

Is it possible (or safe) to do this? what can I do to prep this vehicle for this? and Does anyone have a car they want to get rid of? I know this would be a challenge and I am looking forward to it!
    Last edited by happycamper; 02-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.

My Ride
    RHD-S13/LHD-S13

Cut the roof off

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Your going to need a much larger budget than just $400, if you want a car that won't fall apart and/or blow the motor after the first turn of your first race that is.

My Ride
    See sig

Your budget is too low. $1k minimum for a car that runs.
    Rally will be out of the question, even if your budget were 5k. You'll spend that in safety equipment alone, not including the cage.
    1978 Porsche 924//1987 Chevrolet Chevette
    //1987 Kia Besta//2000 Audi A6//2013 VW Jetta//2006 Kawasaki ZX6

My Ride
    1989 JDM SW20, 2013 Civic LX 5Spd

What they said. I'd look at getting an AWD wagovan from the states too if you were serious about it.

But your budget seems a bit low...

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Thanks for the advice! And yes - I know my budget is way too low. That was part of the challenge. Sorry, I'm used to going to http://www.jeepforum.com - where you can get by with a $300 build. I understand that all of the safety equipment required for a real rally car is very expensive. But my goal is to get something running and if it turns out to be a keeper, then i can play with some upgrades. Sorry I wasn't very clear in my original post. Anyway, looked at another one today

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ258311175

Its just a cx that wont run (but seems fixable), with some nice seats in the front. How easy is it to replace an alternator btw? Instead of towing it, can I throw in another alternator?

Thanks again!

My Ride
    Depends on the day

It's probably not an alternator problem.

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Starter works, Alternator stopped a couple days ago. I think the two cylinders stopped shortly before this alternator problem.

Horrible idea.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Originally posted by OBDIIM50
    Horrible idea.
    Look, I don't have a lot of cash - and I'm trying to have a little fun and learn something. If you don't have any passion or the appetite for challenge and adventure, please don't reply to this post. Thanks for trying though.

My Ride
    CNG Injected

Sounds like a good idea to me.. But I do agree budget is too low.. Should have a b series with LSD to get things going!

OP not to sound like a huge canoe and tromp all over your ideas, but I think if you are asking how hard an alt job is then your budget is way to low because I'm assuming you are not equipped to build a rally car and are going to have to either pay a shop to do a lot of the work or learn and equip your workspace. I am not a great mechanic by any means but in the first 4 years of getting into working on cars I dropped nearly 5k on equipment alone and I don't even have anything special in my garage. Rallying is also one of the more expensive motorsports IMO so anything short of a 10k budget as an INTRO into the sport is too low if you want to really enjoy the sport IMO.

As a starting point before you get serious with rallying may I suggest you participate in a snow cross event (if they have any more left this year) or I think trail of the Gnu you can enter as an amature.

My Ride
    Forester STI

Unless your mechanically inclined, have ready access to a workshop and can get spares for cheap, I wouldnt go for any of those beat Civic's. The cost to repair just the listed problems for any of them would blow your $400.

At their age and condition I would, at the minimum, be doing fuel, air & oil filters, trans fluid, engine oil, clutch fluid if its hydro, brake fluid, brake pads, probably rotors, spark plugs, plug leads, distributor cap & rotor, injector cleaner, main relay rebuild, replacing shocks.

Your idea isnt a bad one, but you'll need a much bigger budget and you really need to start with a better car (Not a $200 beater thats not running)
    The Lazymans Signature (tm)

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

OK, cool... Well I still really like that $200 EG that doesn't run. I am going to pick it up today. I like the idea of a b18, so I plan on swapping in a used b18 non-vtec (vtec if i'm lucky i guess - but it can wait). I have seen some selling in the market place for around $600, which would work for me. If anyone has anything like that - I would be very interested .

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Or, could it be a good idea to grab a b18 out of an integra from pnp?

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Hi again!

I have towed the civic to a place where i can tinker with it (a bodyshop that I work at). It turns out that a couple months ago, oil was spilled all over the engine compartment. soon after, it started running on only 2 cylinders. The previous owner was driving it like that for two months until one morning, it didn't start. I haven't been able to spend a whole lot of time on it, but here is what I know. There is no spark. I tried another distributor, still didn't go. And the battery is good. The PO said that it was the alternator, but I don't think that would stop it from starting (It looks pretty clean too). Any thoughts on what it could be. Anyone have any similar oil spill - related starting issues? Thanks for your help!

my first course of action would be to go through and check ALL the fuses, then work your way through the ignition system ensuring your coil is getting power etc. I don't think oil would conduct electricity very well so chances of it shorting something out are slim, however it could eat away at harnesses in the long term.

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Thanks J-Hop! I'll check all of the harnesses for oil. I tried some degreaser on the engine - but that stuff is caked on really good.

My Ride
    91 Jeep XJ, 95 Civic

Lunchtime at work, got the valve cover off to take a look and found a bent valve and you can just see that the timing belt is loose. Anyone have any tips for changing the belt? Never done it before. I guess buying a civic that doesn't run is a good learning experience for this stuff.

My Ride
    GR Supra MT, MK8 Golf R

Good luck OP but as has been said get ready to spend much more coin then you are planning too lol. When I swapped a turbo talon motor into my N/A talon i budgeted $3000 and ended up spending over 6k to get everything running properly and I did all of the work myself (less the electrical).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast