Quantcast
i have a question about my car.... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: i have a question about my car....

My Ride
    97 si honda civic/2004 chevy silverado

Default i have a question about my car....

i have no where else to ask and really dreaded the idea of coming on here. Because the plan was to never come on here again. But you guys know your shit and i am going crazy not knowing what is wrong with my car.
    So here it is i took it to a mechanics in red deer cause i guess I had a crack in my cv boot on the passenger front side. So i got that fixed. So i thought it was all good. Now it is back in the same shop because I tried to drive it this morning and i kept hearing this rubbing/grinding noise coming from the front drivers side. It would move in its gears and than grind. No it won't even move. But it sounds like a rubber rubbing but stopping the car. the wheels won't even turn. And i am waiting for the shop to call but i can't wait that long so if any of you have any idea as to what is up....please let me know asap.
    Thankyou so much
    Elise
    i am who i am.

My Ride
    Triumph TR7, Buick Century, Ford Explorer

Did you get a new axel put in, or did they somehow put a new boot on?
    Did they have to move some molding to do the work. Maybe somthing on the body underside is rubbing too.

My Ride
    335i

I'm willing to bet that they never replaced the cv axle into the transmission correctly.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    pedals

maybe the messed up the original job. fudged the bearing, didnt install the boot right, clutch went out? numerous things could be the issue...

My Ride
    90 DA9

sounds like you will be getting some cheap work my friend. i think they pooched it, or installed it wrong, or gave you the wrong diagnoses.

My Ride

well its fixed some clip broke. Naa this is the best shop in town.
    Thankyou tho for the ideas i appreciate it.
    Peace
    i am who i am.

My Ride
    Triumph TR7, Buick Century, Ford Explorer

Question

Now.... of course you have to tell us...

What Clip?????

My Ride
    New 07!

Do you mean the best shop in Red Deer? If so, mind if I ask who that is (PM me it if you want)? I just find it hard to believe someone around here does decent work at a good price- I do 99% of my work myself.
    Lovin' my new ride but I miss my old yeller CRX. :'(

My Ride
    STI

I bet its the clip for when you slam the CV joint back into the tranny. I had this happen when i took my old SI motor out and put it back in. I was on my way home and the CV joint poped out and because i don't have a LSD the car just stops moving. Very simple fix ! Just pop it back in!
    glad to hear its back a running!

My Ride

if i knew what was wrong and what they fixed i would deffinitly tell you. But I know nothing about mechanics. I would love to. Learning the art of cars and getting all covered in oil, but i just haven't had the time to learn.
    oh I drew a pic of the new ferrari can't remember which one. But I should have it up by tonite. Some of you might actually like it. Anyways take care
    elise
    i am who i am.

My Ride
    83 Mercedes Benz 300SD & 93 Ducati 888 & 71 Ducati

CV joints - what a curse. When that rubber boot cracks it is so goddamn pricey or awkward if you do it yourself. I thought I had beat the CV joint boot curse when I bought a RWD car, but lo and behold; 4 wheel independent suspension still has CV Joints & Boots.

I have heard stories of people prolonging the deterioration of CV joints that are on their way south by injecting lube into the boot with one of those little grease guns with the needle-like little nozzle slipped under the boot. I have even heard of guys who "bagged" leaky CV boots with plastic wrap, after doing this grease injection trick, to put off an inevitable expense for a few months. I know some cheap bastards, but I gotta admire the extent and creativity of their cheapskatedness.

I have been regularily treating my CV boots with silicone whenever I am underneath the car cleaning things up. (Yes, I actually clean the underside of my car. I know that's obsessive and sick)

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

CV joints on a rear-wheel drive car are better though, since they don't get angled as far, they wear out much slower. I have 18 year old cv shafts joints, and boots on my car, and I bet they have 10 years left, while my other car (Fwd) had 4 year old shafts that were completely ground out.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome