Quantcast
Feb 4, 2011 - CTrain Accident - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Feb 4, 2011 - CTrain Accident

Originally posted by frinkprof
    There's the shell of about half of one station, and that's it.
    not true, my GF's brother has been down into them with city planners

Originally posted by J-hop

The only tunnel that is not currently used by the LRT, that is built for being used by it is the partial station under City Hall.

Some people access it from time to time, and if the person you know accessed any downtown LRT tunnels, it would be this one.
    Last edited by frinkprof; 02-04-2011 at 06:25 PM.

yea that was the one I believe, I was unsure on how big it was as he didn't tell me much about it or why they were down there. However it is clear that it will be too costly to ever go through with the project.

there already is one, the project was however abandoned due to cost because if it isn't already obvious the downtown core is on a flood plain!
    And yet building a parkade 6 storeys deep underground remains feasible.

Oh that's right, each spot provides $20 of revenue a day

My Ride
    NOYB.

Is true, I've been down there.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ wow, how? Pm me if you want
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

i saw a bit on the news where bronco was walking in the tunnel. from what i could tell, it was pretty long. i had the understanding that the tunnel stretched throughout the core. finkprof, are you saying that there isn't a tunnel? just the area near city hall?

My Ride
    NOYB.

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    ^ wow, how? Pm me if you want
    About 10 years ago, due to my being in the fire service, I got to "ride along" with the fire department's confined space rescue team, who was using it for training.

From what I remember, it was easily wide enough for one train each way, and probably two side-by-side in each direction. I haven't been down there in ages, nor on the train aboveground in the area, but when you are heading into the city from Vic Park/Stampede, if you look off to the left while in the tunnel, you'll see a spur that branches off to the left (west) and terminates in a huge wall a hundred or so feet away. Behind that wall is the underground cavern (if I'm estimating properly).

My Ride
    Nothing Good.

^^ sounds like a good venue for the Beyond Band to play?
    A Ferrari is a high maintenance chick, you spend money regardless of what you do with her. You can baby the C63, or slap on all seasons, and you won't be spending anything but yearly maintenance. Of course that's like dating a stripper and refusing to fuck her, which would make you gay.

Originally posted by Rage2

Originally posted by Guillermo
    i saw a bit on the news where bronco was walking in the tunnel. from what i could tell, it was pretty long. i had the understanding that the tunnel stretched throughout the core. finkprof, are you saying that there isn't a tunnel? just the area near city hall?
    Well if you call what is under City Hall a tunnel, then it's both. It does not currently go any further than that.

What currently exists is basically everything in this diagram east of MacLeod Trail.

Here is a Global News story on the infrastructure under City Hall from a couple years ago.

It's also blocked off for those who are ballsy enough to run in the train tunnel to try and enter it :p

My Ride
    NOYB.

That's exactly the area I was talking about. AFAIK, the caged ladder you see is currently the only access, and if the city is smart, its entry point is locked and unsigned, as it was when I was there.

Building it under 8th Avenue will cost godzillions of dollars. If they do an open dig like they are with the west leg, or did with Glenmore through the Chinook area, imagine the disruption above ground that will cause. If they use a tunnel boring machine, it will be super-expensive and may still disrupt above-ground business.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Anyone else think it's retarded that they don't just build that into a C-Train service station, instead of building that one up in the NE?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by Tik-Tok
    Anyone else think it's retarded that they don't just build that into a C-Train service station, instead of building that one up in the NE?
    You mean a storage and maintenance facility? That tunnel is still planned to be used for revenue operations, likely does not have the services (water, electrical, etc.) needed to perform storage and maintenance, and isn't nearly big enough.

The Oliver Bowen Maintenance Facility (new one in the northeast), even though it is brand new, needs to be expanded pretty soon if more LRVs are ordered for future line extensions and/or four-car train operation.

Last edited by kaput; 03-22-2019 at 07:01 PM.

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Since you guys spent hours talking about putting the Ctrain underground so people do get hit, lets all read the update.

A man pinned underneath a C-Train car and taken to hospital in life-threatening condition was released hours later after receiving stitches to his head.

"At least one peace officer tried to assist the man, who appeared to be intoxicated," said Calgary transit spokesman Ron Collins. "But it was too late and he fell between two cars."

Have we actually had a Ctrain incident that was a total 100% accident, because everyone I seen has been because of stupid people.

Default Re: Feb 4, 2011 - CTrain Accident

Originally posted by kenny
    No trains running downtown due to yet another accident (Center St. station). Some guy was pinned under the train, not sure if he survived. Just in time for the evening rush hour!

Shuttle buses running on 6th and 9th ave. See this link for any new updates:

http://www.calgarytransit.com/html/c..._20110204.html
    Was the train ok?

Originally posted by snoop101
    Since you guys spent hours talking about putting the Ctrain underground so people do get hit, lets all read the update.
    "Put people underground, not trains".

My Ride
    2017 Nissan Morano/2018 Chevy Cruze/2001 Dodge2500

Originally posted by LollerBrader

"Put people underground, not trains".
    Woops typo.. lol.. you know what I mean

Originally posted by snoop101

Have we actually had a Ctrain incident that was a total 100% accident, because everyone I seen has been because of stupid people.
    good point, i can't count the number of times I've seen people step out after getting off at a station and try to beat the train to get across to the other side. I want to slap these individuals for being so dumb as to think a train should give right of way to them. In boating the more maneuverable boats are required to give way to the less maneuverable. If you are in a speed boat and get run over by a ferry or a tanker ship then you deserve to die. Same shit with a C-train.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast