Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Looking for new router

My Ride
    lots

Originally posted by Kg810
    Update on the WNDR3700v2

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=62608

Firmware just released a few days ago.

So I again say go for the WNDR3700, but I have heard really good things about the AsusRT-N16

Edit - Forgot to post link for you to price match at memoryexpress if you decide to get it

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...p;promoid=1270
    for this router, you dont even need the price match right now. memoryexpress has it on sale now for $119.99. i picked mine up at lunchtime today. only the north east store has stock left.
    CHEVROLET= Cheap, Hardly Efficient, Virtually Runs On Luck Every Time.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

So, I'm bumping an old thread. I'm looking for a new router, and as per this thread tried the WNDR3700. Works great. But it's not for me for one reason. I cannot port forward more than one computer. This surprised me, and even surprised the tech support guys, after a few hours they told me the unit simply does not have the capability to do that.

So, my search begins again. Any recommendations. And keep in mind, I don't really care about the wireless. I just need the wired ports.

You mean you can't forward the same port to different computers or that you can't forward different ports to different computers?

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by Mibz
    You mean you can't forward the same port to different computers or that you can't forward different ports to different computers?
    You cannot forward the same port or ports to different computers. and port triggering doesn't work when its a block of ports.

Unless maybe you guys know a way to accomplish this...

For example I want to forward ports 27000-27050 on 192.168.1.100 AND 192.168.1.101

Originally posted by DeeK
    You cannot forward the same port or ports to different computers.
    This is intended behaviour. You can't open two connections on the same IP and port.

What are you trying to accomplish?

EDIT: If you can't trigger a range then 5 separate trigger entries should fix that.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

This is intended behaviour. You can't open two connections on the same IP and port.

What are you trying to accomplish?

EDIT: If you can't trigger a range then 5 separate trigger entries should fix that.
    But, you must remember that a router is not a single connection obviously. It flips back and forth between packets, and as such, I need that port open and available for two computers to access through that port.

Triggering is not good for groups of ports, it is for single ports. otherwise I would just trigger my ports open.

EDIT: Im not a networking guru or anything, and don't claim to be. I could be completely out to lunch here..

Also, this can be done on every other brand of router. I've never come across this till I tried netgear.

Here's the goal I'm trying to get at...

Starcraft 2, along with many other of my games have designated ports which I cannot change. They must be opened for certain things to work. such as the blizzard downloader. At this point in time. The blizzard downloader works on one of my computers, but not on the other. Due to the fact that the required ports are not open on that IP.

I need to know how both computers can have access to these ports so that the two computers can play together.
    Last edited by DeeK; 06-01-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Also, this can be done on every other brand of router.
    It certainly can't be done on mine or any enterprise router I've worked on. If an incoming connection request is sent to two computers at the same time only one of them is going to be able to fulfill the connection. It is impossible/retarded to forward the same TCP port to two different destinations.

For your situation I can think of two options.

1. Forward all the ports you need to one computer, do the downloading you need to do and then forward them to the other computer.

2. Since ranges exist, forward half the ports to one computer and half to the other. I imagine this could cause problems on some software though.

This also only applies for things like Blizzard Downloader or torrents or whatever where you need to be accepting incoming connections. To actually play games on Battle.net or Steam you shouldn't have to do a damn thing because the connection originates on your end.

EDIT: Option 3 is that you activate your 2nd IP with your service provider, get a dual-WAN router and NAT each computer to a separate public IP.

My Ride
    RSX Type-S, 335i Coupe

I picked up a DLink DIR-815 dual band and I have to reset the fuckin thing like once a day. I thought it might just be the router but nope that 2nd DIR-815 did the same thing. Any solutions to fix this or should I just give up and buy a different router?

Originally posted by MilanoRedTeg
    I picked up a DLink DIR-815 dual band and I have to reset the fuckin thing like once a day. I thought it might just be the router but nope that 2nd DIR-815 did the same thing. Any solutions to fix this or should I just give up and buy a different router?
    Running the Latest Firmward for it from DLink?

Starcraft 2, along with many other of my games have designated ports which I cannot change. They must be opened for certain things to work. such as the blizzard downloader. At this point in time. The blizzard downloader works on one of my computers, but not on the other. Due to the fact that the required ports are not open on that IP.
    You dont have to manually open any ports or Starcraft2 or the Blizzard downloader, just make sure you have UPnP enabled on your router, and it will take care of it by itself.

I have 1 port open on my router, and UPnP takes care of the rest.

My Ride
    oooo

I have the Asus RT-N16 and it seems to work pretty well.

Getting fiber connected tomorrow so should have a faster connection to the outside world too.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

This also only applies for things like Blizzard Downloader or torrents or whatever where you need to be accepting incoming connections. To actually play games on Battle.net or Steam you shouldn't have to do a damn thing because the connection originates on your end.

EDIT: Option 3 is that you activate your 2nd IP with your service provider, get a dual-WAN router and NAT each computer to a separate public IP.
    Well from what I understand, to be able to use the ingame voice, you need to be able to accept incoming connections. You cannot host custom games. And unless ports are open you are always at risk of being dropped or disconnected.

voice = http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...ategoryId=3636
    Last edited by DeeK; 06-02-2011 at 07:21 PM.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by Alterac

You dont have to manually open any ports or Starcraft2 or the Blizzard downloader, just make sure you have UPnP enabled on your router, and it will take care of it by itself.

I have 1 port open on my router, and UPnP takes care of the rest.
    Univeral Plug and Play only counts for registered devices on the local network. It has nothing to do with connections to and from external sources. It also only extends as far as services. So it is for use with things like printers, scanners, etc.

As far as the blizzard downloader goes.. try it with and without ports open. I guarantee you that it will go 100x faster if you open the ports.
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...ategoryId=3617
    Last edited by DeeK; 06-02-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Univeral Plug and Play only counts for registered devices on the local network. It has nothing to do with connections to and from external sources. It also only extends as far as services. So it is for use with things like printers, scanners, etc.

As far as the blizzard downloader goes.. try it with and without ports open. I guarantee you that it will go 100x faster if you open the ports.
    http://us.blizzard.com/support/artic...ategoryId=3617
    When i use the blizzard downloader, it uses UPnP to automatically open the ports it needs. I can watch it do this in the log, and by confirmation on my routers upnp open ports webpage.

uTorrent also does this for you.

I dont know about the ingame voice, as I use mumble so you are probably right there.

NAT traversal section from Wikipedia on Universal Plug and Play
    One solution for NAT traversal, called the Internet Gateway Device Protocol (IGD Protocol), is implemented via UPnP. Many routers and firewalls expose themselves as Internet Gateway Devices, allowing any local UPnP control point to perform a variety of actions, including retrieving the external IP address of the device, enumerate existing port mappings, and add or remove port mappings. By adding a port mapping, a UPnP controller behind the IGD can enable traversal of the IGD from an external address to an internal client.
    Last edited by Alterac; 06-02-2011 at 08:27 PM.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Yes, I've been researching UPnP over the past hour or so, and I'm getting entirely conflicting information. Some places say its restricted to local traffic only (including the netgear site), IE. Sharing a device connected to a pc, from the other pc.
    Also, it is restricted to UDP connections only, not TCP.

Other sites are saying its a port mapper.. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Port_Forwarding

I'm not sure what to think.
    Last edited by DeeK; 06-02-2011 at 09:23 PM.

It should be pretty easy to test out, depending if your router supports it, and supports showing you what is open. (Assuming you have a DD-WRT Capable router, you will support both)

Open utorrent, enable upnp in that, then grab something from the net.
    Click on the Log tab, and make sure you have some verbose logging (possibly). It should say if it was able to open the port or not.

You can also check on your router.
    Go into your routers webpage, to Nat/QoS tab, then the UPnP SubTab, it should then show you the ports that are open.

I dont know if any commercial routers can show this info.

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Well... I suppose that works.

Just tried it via torrents, sure enough ports open. Awesome.

From my uTorrent Log
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Checking cached host http://10.0.0.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Queueing cached host http://10.0.0.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Discovered host: http://10.0.0.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Found location from upnp notify: http://10.0.0.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Discovered host: http://10.0.0.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Discovered new device: "LANDevice" http://10.0.0.1:1780/control?WANIPConnection
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Mapped TCP port 38408 -> 10.0.0.50:38408
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: TCP port 38408 -> 10.0.0.50:38408 mapped successfully.
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Mapped UDP port 38408 -> 10.0.0.50:38408
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: UDP port 38408 -> 10.0.0.50:38408 mapped successfully.
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Getting external IP
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Host 'http://10.0.0.1:1780/InternetGatewayDevice.xml' added to cache.
    [2011-06-02 21:27:07] UPnP: Got external IP: 174.x.x.x
    And from my DD-WRT Log

Description Enabled From (WAN) To (LAN) IP Address Protocol
    uTorrent (TCP) Yes 38408 38408 10.0.0.50 TCP
    uTorrent (UDP) Yes 38408 38408 10.0.0.50 UDP

Heh, you must have posted while i was typing this out.

You using DD-WRT? or some other router?

My Ride
    VW Corrado VR6

Originally posted by Alterac
    You using DD-WRT? or some other router?
    Netgear WNDR3700

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Surprised nobody has mentioned building their own pfSense router.

An old p4 with 512mb of ram has a throughput on the WAN link of ~800mbit/s

pfSense is stateful which means no opening ports for internal network requests out of the WAN link.

my pfSense box is hosting 3 subnets, a wireless AP, full gigabit connectivity.

Worth the investment for the initial setup costs. I will never have to replace it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast