Quantcast
Calgary to stop fluoridating water - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Calgary to stop fluoridating water

My Ride
    2009 Impreza

Default Calgary to stop fluoridating water

Story Link

Calgary may soon see fluoride flushed from its drinking water after council voted Tuesday to eliminate the additive.

In doing so, council will end a 20-year practice introduced to improve Calgary's dental health.

Council has also decided not to put the issue to voters or an expert panel being offered up by the University of Calgary.

While a number of other Canadian cities fluoridate water supplies in the name of preventing tooth decay, critics argue it is a potential poison.

Since fluoridation was introduce in 1991, various studies and arguments have come out about both its health benefits and risks.

© Copyright (c) Postmedia News
    Eagerly awaiting ZenOps' reply.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

They have chose to do this because the repairs to fix the pumps used to distribute the flouride are too expensive apparently.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

$6 Million to upgrade the fluoride system.

Before people go off on rants about how fluoride is government mind control juice.

http://www.greenfacts.org/en/fluoride/index.htm

http://www.skepticnorth.com/2010/10/...g-new-is-said/

At least this was brought about by budgeting concerns and not the fringe morons with their magic magnets and healing pyramids.

My Ride
    '04 Solara, and planks of hardrock maple.

Flouride is toxic to our bodily systems, hence why we rinse and spit out as much of it as we can when at the Dentist. If anybody thinks the trace amounts of it in our drinking water is doing anything to prevent cavities, you are a moron.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Yeah, I am torn.

I have a baby coming in 4.5 weeks. I am not informed enough to make decision on whether I think it was good idea or not to remove it. I wonder how his teeth will be affected without it. At the same time, now that he won't be poisoned by the City of Calgary gives me some solace too.

I am leaning to the side that removal is a good idea. There is floride in your toothpast, and you can get mouth rinces. It works topically. Makes sense.

Then again, I drink a lot of water from the tap and only have 1 filling. (then again, I see my dentist every 6 months).

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Your water is loaded with naturally occurring and irremovable chemicals and poisons, same with human added ones and indirectly added ones like all the lovely ladies estrogen. If you're all worried about trace amounts of fluoride then I feel bad for all the other uncontrollable stuff you worry about on a daily basis, is it a conspiracy that you inhale more carbon monoxide in the city? STOP THE PRESSES!

I don't think it really is a big deal. If you've ever lived Calgary for a few years then moved to a city without fluoride in the water, and seen a dentists there they can defiantly tell you have lived in a city with fluoride in the water, all my dentists I've had outside Calgary have said my teeth enamel was good.
    Last edited by derpderp; 02-09-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Originally posted by Pollywog
    Flouride is toxic to our bodily systems, hence why we rinse and spit out as much of it as we can when at the Dentist. If anybody thinks the trace amounts of it in our drinking water is doing anything to prevent cavities, you are a moron.
    I assume this is sarcastic.

Hitler used Dihydrogen Monoxide in death camps, a primary component in some of the most lethal chemicals, not to mention how lethal it is on it's own.

BAN IT!

My Ride
    Whiney '02 WRX

Originally posted by NuclearPizzaMan

Hitler used Dihydrogen Monoxide in death camps, a primary component in some of the most lethal chemicals, not to mention how lethal it is on it's own.

BAN IT!
    The ooooold Dihydrogen Monoxide trick... eh? (H2O)

I'm stoked that one less chemical will be going into my body. Forced medication can suck my balls. You love fluoride so much, get the Hydrofluorosilicic acid from Lucier Chemical Industries Ltd just like the City of Calgary, and put it into your drinking water!

My Ride

I assume you have done no research on topically applied vs injested flouride.

The Nazi mind control will finally end!

Some people miss the point that there are 2 debates here. One is that fluoride is harmful, the other is that it’s none of the governments damn business adding anything to our water to begin with. Using the argument that our water still has impurities in it is completely idiotic beyond belief. If we could, we would make the water as purse as possible. Our water treatment plants are the best we can come up with to get the water as clean as possible. If you can’t see the difference between that and purposely adding an unnecessary chemical to the water after the fact then you need help. And on the second point that fluoride is harmful. I’m willing to bet %99 of people that say it’s not haven’t read jack shit on it. They just parrot media propaganda and argue from authority (quick after reading this post, google “debunking fluoride is unhealthy” realizing you really know jack shit about it, cut and paste that information in this thread and pretend you have just informed yourself)

I assume you have done no research on topically applied vs injested flouride.
    Originally posted by wikipedia
    Fluoride's effects depend on the total daily intake of fluoride from all sources.[12] About 70–90% of ingested fluoride is absorbed into the blood, where it distributes throughout the body. In infants 80–90% of absorbed fluoride is retained, with the rest excreted, mostly via urine; in adults about 60% is retained. About 99% of retained fluoride is stored in bone, teeth, and other calcium-rich areas, where excess quantities can cause fluorosis.
    Unless they have gotten to wikipedia?

Seriously. an argument on whether it's worth the price, especially since fluoride is so common in all dental products, is fine. Weigh the benefits with the cost, come to a conclusion.

Unfortunately this is another one of those topics that bring out the rejects the crazies and the morons who seem convinced that fluoride is some sort of conspiracy against them.

I just googled “debunking fluoride is unhealthy”. The first link is to thezeitgeistmovement.com. Welcome to the end of enlightenment.

My Ride

Unfortunately this is another one of those topics that bring out the rejects the crazies and the morons who seem convinced that fluoride is some sort of conspiracy against them.
    I don't think any of us are convinced it is some sort of "government conspiracy" or "mind-control device".

On a side note, if flouridated water is so beneficial, why not throw some multi-vitamins and aspirin in there as well?
    Last edited by Pollywog; 02-09-2011 at 01:23 PM.

i want flouride in my water. and no, that's not sarcastic.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-01-2019 at 12:51 AM.

I don't think any of us are convinced it is some sort of "government conspiracy" or "mind-control device".
    Then why do they do it?

If anybody thinks the trace amounts of it in our drinking water is doing anything to prevent cavities, you are a moron.
    Right, I forgot. It's not that they are wrong. They are just all really fucking stupid.
    BigMass seems to think the CDC was actually just a propaganda tool for Big Fluoride.

Fluoride is added because it's cheap, has a significant benefit, and minimal problems. That's it.
    Last edited by NuclearPizzaMan; 02-09-2011 at 01:39 PM.

My Ride
    BMW 135i

I better stock up on tap water before they remove fluoride!
    "looks kinda like a hair cul-de-sac"

Taking flouride out of the water will increase incidence of caries in children, thats proven with research all over the world. A famous study was done in Saskatchewan, Saskatoon (flouridated) vs. Regina(non fluoridated) and showed statistically relevant data that supported that. Don't ask me to pull up the research, I learned about it years ago in Dental school and I have no care to prove it.

That being said, there are very relevant points made that fluoride can be systemically harmful to the body. For this reason, I personally agree with Flouride being pulled out of the water supply. The increase in caries rates was more predominant amongst lower socio-economic groups that had low Dental IQ's, and poor oral hygiene.

The truth of the matter is, brush your teeth twice daily, floss everyday, and just generally take care of your oral health, and this is simply a non issue.

As for the dentist population. I can tell you there is a large divide amongst the dentists. Despite the fact that some may acuse dentists of wanting flouride out of our water system for our personal economic benefit. No dentist I know wants to see children in our practice with more cavities. Children can be more difficult to work on, so we work hard with our families to educate them, and work on a strong preventive program. Thats much more effective and safe than any fluoridation system.
    2016 Tesla Model X
    2018 Lincoln Navigator
    2016 Porsche GT3 RS

So.....this means I need to start brushing my teeth then?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 ... LastLast