Quantcast
pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room?

My Ride
    1999 Chevy Lumina

Default pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room?

OK one more post for the night; I couldn't find a question quite like this in a search of the site.

I was stopped at a light on 16th Ave N. There were several cars in front of me and behind me, and a solid line of cars to my left and right.

Then, a fire truck comes up my lane, and people behind me started one-by-one moving over as much as possible. I tried shuffling over to the right as much as possible but ended up at a bit of an angle (like a few other cars my lane) because we couldn't get clear over enough.

Any suggestions on a better course of action for future incidents like this? I felt like a major knob because the fire truck had to squeeze past me.

My Ride
    CNG Injected

Default Re: pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room?

Originally posted by alberta_gamer
    Any suggestions on a better course of action for future incidents like this?
    Perhaps learn to drive?

on serious note just wait for the traffic light to go green and then move where you feel theres more room
    Last edited by streethondas; 02-10-2011 at 12:03 AM.

My Ride
    911 & Cayenne

You're going to have to ignore all the hate everyone is going to give you.

But you did fine, if you pulled over as much as you could I don't see much more you could do.
    We stopped checking for monsters under our beds when we realized they were inside us.

move as much as u can was the right thing u did

if u where the first in line and had no where to go just run the fucking thing red

thats what i did when a fire truck came behind me and there was a post right beside me that i couldnt go over i just ran it red after i made sure every one was stoped and then took the right and moved out of the way.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Im sure some of the bucketheads here will chime in but in situations where there was a line of cars at an approaching red light we'd always go code 3 into the mainly empty ONCOMING lane to get past the intersection.

My Ride
    NOYB.

Officially you are required to move: "to a position that is clear of any intersection and parallel to and as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway" (or if on a divided highway or one-way road, "as close as practicable to the curb or edge of the roadway that is nearest to that other vehicle" - in other words, left curb is OK). (Alberta Rules of the Road regulations, section 65(1))

As an emergency responder, I am just grateful that you acknowledge my presence and move at all; it would be nice if you were to all pull to one side or another (and/or at least give me one single lane I can pass through instead of doing a slalom).

Doing what you described is perfectly acceptable in my book.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Default Re: Re: pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room?

Originally posted by streethondas

on serious note just wait for the traffic light to go green and then move where you feel theres more room
    REALLY? That was your serious note? lol

I would hate to be the guy driving the fire truck or ambulance to see some idiot wait for the light to turn green so he can go through.

My Ride
    2015 CLS63s AMG Coupe

You have to do what you can do...

Personally whenever there is any emergency vehicles approaching from behind, I always try to look around and see what other vehicles are doing (a.k.a to see if there is going to be a clear path for the emergency vehicle). After seeing what few people have done (who noticed it coming up), I position myself accordingly to make sure I extend that "clear path" that has been made.

It still shocks me how many people still don't notice emergency vehicles. There's been times where everyone has moved as much as they can but there is still one or two ***** or ***** drivers who are in la la land, who are totally blocking the emergency vehicle. There's been times where I've seen emergency vehicles honking with sirens on at them, and it taking up to 45 seconds for them to notice.

The sad ones, even after realizing they are blocking, just inch forward a few inches tapping the breaks (like WTF???).

Thankfully I'm in an SUV, so I can just easily pull on to the sidewalk or curb if need be. Just remember that if you move, try not to do anything that will stop someone else from moving...

Ultimately, do whatever you can do... I think the other guy summed it up pretty good, as long as your trying!
    Sig was pwned by Moderator!

Default Re: Re: pulling over for emergency vehicles if there is no room?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 10:47 AM.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I usually spot them from over 5 blocks back visually or audibly so I prepare by getting in the right lane and usually will wait in advance if I know they are near.

I hate being the last asshole to get out of their way. So now I'm the first asshole

My Ride

Originally posted by revelations
    Im sure some of the bucketheads here will chime in but in situations where there was a line of cars at an approaching red light we'd always go code 3 into the mainly empty ONCOMING lane to get past the intersection.
    I see this a lot on 16th ave and 29st nw right by the foothills hospital... ballsy as fuck

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I'm kinda curious myself as to what the rules are. I've had situations where I'm in the middle lane at the front of a red light, and see that there's absolutely no room for the emergency vehicle to get past. Since the entire intersection is stopped, I run the light, and everyone behind me follows, opening up the middle lane for the emergency vehicle. Mission accomplished, but can I get in shit for that?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I don't think so Rage, I have run a red or two before and had the camera go off. Never got a ticket so I assume that when they review the tickets they see that there is an emergency vehicle in the picture too. Even if you did get a ticket, what cop wants to show up to court and bash the guy who did everything to get out the way, the crown would probably toss a camera ticket too.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Maybe Jay911 can chime in. Curious how many people actually do that, or just sit around and act like sheep and move 3 inches to the curb, accomplishing absolutely nothing.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Originally posted by rage2
    I'm kinda curious myself as to what the rules are. I've had situations where I'm in the middle lane at the front of a red light, and see that there's absolutely no room for the emergency vehicle to get past. Since the entire intersection is stopped, I run the light, and everyone behind me follows, opening up the middle lane for the emergency vehicle. Mission accomplished, but can I get in shit for that?
    It happened to me once when a COP was trying to get by....I r an the light....No shit whatsoever

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Yeah, I've run the red light a couple times too but only when there's no other options. I mean, what are you gonna do? Stop in the middle of the intersection and wait for your light to go green while you're holding up traffic?

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by rage2
    I run the light.
    I don't hesitate for a second. If I'm at a red light with an emergency vehicle behind me, I run it every time. I can't believe the number of people that sit at the light because of the 'rules.'

Emergency trumps traffic light (provided you can blow it carefully). Theoretically, the intersecting vehicles with a green light should be yielding at this point.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Only time in recent memory I ran a red light was when there were two cars beside me, and driver in the rear got out, started walking up to the car beside us with a pistol pointed at it. Seemed like a logical reason to run a red.

But back on track - if there is no room, there is no room. Nothing you can do. Just try to move over to where the others in your lane are going, and find the first opportunity to clear the lane when you can.

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Now on the topic, do you guys pull over when on a divided highway?

I usually just let them overtake me, but still travel at the speed limit. I read Jay's comment of the rule, but not 100% sure on this one.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

If on a highway, I'll pull over to the right (about half on the shoulder, half off) and usually let myself do a coasting slowdown.

Now that I'm actually thinking about it, the coasting slowdown probably doesn't really help in any regard. But at least I pull over.

To me, it isn't about the "rules". It is about ensuring the individuals in the emergency vehicle perfectly know my intentions, and have enough safe room to do what they need to do.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast