Quantcast
I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare

Default I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare

Maybe its just me but each time I go to Van its tough coming back home. Its just too bad Vancouver is so damn expensive to live and a dried up work economy. The city is a crazy tourist attraction - people don't come to Calgary unless its work related. Vancouver has Grandville, Stanley Park, the Sea bus, west van, north van, the Skytrain, Metrotown, the Pacific ocean, robson, two chinatowns, all the city subarbs (Langley. Richmond, west minister, White Rock, burnaby, King George, Whister, Naimo, surrey etc) within a ridiculously short driving distance from each other and how you can get to pretty much all of them on the skytrain shows you how a modern transit system should be. Anyone else feel the same? When you go to van it doesn't even feel like canada cause its so different from calgary or any other city in canada.Montreal is just as nice but I prefer vancouver.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 02-20-2011 at 05:19 PM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Vancouver is beautiful. When it is sunny.

Otherwise, it is a wet, rainy mess of a place.

It also takes a long time to get from one end to the other; Calgary is much better in that regard.

My Ride
    Axis powers

Default Re: I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare

Originally posted by copynpaste
    Maybe its just me but each time I go to Van its tough coming back home. Its just too bad Vancouver is so damn expensive to live and a dried up work economy. The city is a crazy tourist attraction - people don't come to Calgary unless its work related. Vancouver has Grandville, StanleY Park, the Sea bus, west van, north van, the Skytrain, the Pacific ocean, robson, two chinatowns, all the city subarbs (Langley. Richmond, west minister, White Rock, burbaby, surrey etc) within a ridiculously short driving distance from each other and how you can get to pretty much all of them on the skytrain shows you how a modern transit system should be. Anyone else feel the same? When you go to van it doesn't even feel like canada cause its so different from calgary or any other city in canada.Montreal is just as nice but I prefer vancouver.
    this is all great because you're a tourist, live there for awhile and it all becomes stale as well
    Calgary has tonnes of stuff to do but most people have done it all and it has become boring as well

plus the drivers there are fucking terrible
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Vancouver is an AWESOME place to visit, and I go out there 3-4 times a year, but I'd never live there.

The island on the other hand...
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    SR20 240sx / 2002 Jeep

too bad the Canucks play there.

I like Vancouver, but I'd never live there. Too big, too crowded and the roads are terrible. Nice to place to visit though.

The 'wet & rainy' season beats dealing with cold & snow for 9 months of the year, that's one thing it has going for it, virtually no winter. People always say that about the coast... "oh, it rains for 6 months straight" ... no actually, it doesn't.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Default Re: Re: I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare

Originally posted by adam c

this is all great because you're a tourist
    +1 The buts you mentioned are just a start. How many times have you had a gun of knife pulled on you for no fucking reason? When I lived there lots, but here 0. If I was single with no kids and could actually find a good job would I move back? Maybe. With a family hell no! My last year of high school there were 3 or 4 murders student on student in my school. Fuck my friend Lucky got shot in the head over lunch hour for lighting a smoke in this guys house. Lucky wasn't so lucky
    Last edited by kvg; 02-18-2011 at 08:06 PM.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Oh and I fucking hate snow, so I hate Calgary weather.

Originally posted by masoncgy
    I like Vancouver, but I'd never live there. Too big, too crowded and the roads are terrible. Nice to place to visit though.

The 'wet & rainy' season beats dealing with cold & snow for 9 months of the year, that's one thing it has going for it, virtually no winter. People always say that about the coast... "oh, it rains for 6 months straight" ... no actually, it doesn't.
    I agree, too croweded. Its like a mini toronto with some banff thrown in cause there's so many tourists everywhere you go. I do like the downtown in van though, I think it has some of the nicest pieces of land and artictecture that you will ever see. The streets are better than calgarys with them being much wider here and most of the roads are on angles (looks really nice esp downtown). But the roads are confusing and way too many traffic circles. The rush hour is much faster moving in van than in calgary even when going to and from the little suburbs (which makes no sense cause it should be the other way around). Very little stop n go traffic in rush hour compared to calgary. In calgary rush hour, you go 30km on deerfoot. Here its very smooth and fast moving.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 02-18-2011 at 07:41 PM.

My Ride
    2010 Subaru Forester XT

I live in Vancouver now and I can tell you you're way off about the roads.

Even major roads like Granville Street don't always have left turning lanes so when someone wants to turn left, boom, you've lost 33% of your lanes right there.

And in residential areas, it's very very common for the roads to be narrow so that there's enough for cars to park on either side of the road, but only one car can pass through, so you have cars taking turns passing through narrow lanes rather than being able to proceed through them simultaneously.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Vancouver is beautiful. When it is sunny.

Otherwise, it is a wet, rainy mess of a place.

It also takes a long time to get from one end to the other; Calgary is much better in that regard.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    Axis powers

Originally posted by copynpaste

Very little stop n go traffic in rush hour compared to calgary. In calgary rush hour, you go 30km on deerfoot. Here its very smooth and fast moving.
    unless things have changed recently the #1 is a cluster fuck of a road during rush hour
    Sig nuked by mod.

Without oil, calgarys just another part of Saskatchewan.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

Vancouver is beautiful no doubt. It's the economy and the mentality of the people that ruins it.

Originally posted by kvg
    Vancouver is beautiful no doubt. It's the economy and the mentality of the people that ruins it.
    You dont like the van people?
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    Depends on the day

For the most part no. I still enjoy the visits there and believe it or not I like rain. People out there are alot less friendly then here and you can walk to the corner store without a weapon. In the end though I have a more stable life here for me and my family.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

If Vancouver had as much opportunity for someone in my profession I'd be living there now. I'm originally from the Southern USA so I've experienced both places from an outsider's perspective. Lived in Calgary for about 9 years now. All my extended family lives in Vancouver so I've been visiting there for all my life.

Calgary has an incredible economy, better roads (even though they're shit), cheaper housing, better winter sports, and an overall more friendly feel.

Vancouver has more to do, a better nightlife, much better food, beaches, beautiful scenery, better transit, and far more cultural diversity. I don't mind rain too so that helps.

The people in Vancouver are kinda pricks though. Everyone's such a smug asshole. Being stuck with a bunch of fucking idiot Canucks fans would be a HUGE negative too.

Okanagan Valley still gets my vote hands down.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Okanagan Valley still gets my vote hands down.
    Yeah the Okanagan is dope. I'd probably choose living on Vancouver Island rather than the mainland if at all possible though.

My Ride
    2011 Audi TTs

my ex lives in vancouver so fuck em all.

haha kidding aside, vancouver city itself is a great place to visit, but living there is a pain in the ass in terms of traffic and availability of service, you think wait lines for docs and emergency hospital visits in calgary are bad, vancouver is a hot mess with more demand than supply.

my brother lives in vancouver, and my sis lived a lil further out near coquitlam, i went there several times over the last 4 years....i definitely would consider it as a place to live, but nothing stacks up to the quality of life in calgary, big city with a lot of little city feel to it....and yes, it does rain in vancouver and there's a good chunk of the year that can go by without any proper sunlight, it's depressing as fuck when that happens, but if you go when it's warm and nice out...its a beautiful place.

also remember it gets cold as fuck there too without the snow, the humidity is high and you feel the cold at higher temps than u do in calgary, just because it doesnt snow doesnt mean it doesnt get cold...that and more recently theyve been getting some pretty hefty downfalls of snow...and you'll wish that u were in calgary when that happens, people there run on summers year round, good luck getting good road cleaning and decent winter drivers when that happens.

that and i prefer moisture solid and on the ground over wet and constantly falling on me whenever i go out. it's impossible to live in vancouver without a raincoat/umbrella handy for half the year...the rain/cloudyness is definitely a downside. but the flipside is that the city as a whole is huge and diverse, and insanely clean for the amount of traffic that runs through it everyday (minus e hastings)....

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast