Quantcast
I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare

CDave is so easy to troll. Take some anger management.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

If Vancouver wasn't in BC, i'd like it a lot more. Don't mean to generalize and say BC and everyone there sucks, but my years their were definitely the worst of my life. Van is certainly a beautiful city, but it needs a bit more going for it than that. And Canucks

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Vancouver is a beautiful place but everyone I know who lives there has had something expensive stolen at least once.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    Jeep WJ

Van cities my other home and without a doubt the greatest Canadian City.

Calgary isn't shit but Canada's butthole.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 10:53 AM.

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Another thing I was thinking:

Winter in Vancouver may be rainy as fuck, but it does wonders for the surrounding foliage. The whole place is so damn green all the time. I admit I'm a little biased because rain doesn't bother me, but I just find it much more appealing to the eye through the winter months.

Winter in Calgary is often described as, "cold and snowy as fuck" but that's not the whole truth. It doesn't snow constantly for 8+ months of the year. It snows like a bastard for 2 days straight every few weeks, then once that's over it's just brown shit all over the place. Even with no snow on the roads, it sucks driving around because all you have to look at is 4ft piles of solid grit on the side of every road. And it looks like that until late May when they finally get around to sweeping all the roads.

(not a great pic, but you know what I mean)

Personal preference, but I'm getting sick of how shitty everything looks in winter here.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Lots of things can be generalized and debated about, this is not one of them... Vancouver definitely has way more smoking hot chicks per capita than Calgary... although Surrey may bring the average down a little.
    Its very subjective too, like any opinion in this thread.

Are you oriental yourself? Because I much prefer the tall blond look myself (being caucasian). Hence the surprise when I came to Calgary.

The oriental females in Vancouver (which number about 40% of the female population) never did much for me in terms of their looks - with the odd exception of course.

My Ride
    NC1

Love Vancouver; would move there in a heartbeat if only my employment options were not so limited and wages were not the complete shits.

PS: Go Canucks!

Lots of things can be generalized and debated about, this is not one of them... Vancouver definitely has way more smoking hot chicks per capita than Calgary... although Surrey may bring the average down a little.

All things said, Calgary isn't so bad either

Except the Go Canucks part.

Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

i can't believe so many people are ragging on calgary and calling it a shithole, try living in a small town in northern BC with 17,000 people for most of your life. now that's a shit hole. anyone know Grande Prairie or Dawson Creek or Fort St. John? now those are shitholes my friend. i enjoyed living in calgary the last 5 years, but then again i was from the shithole areas i mentioned. i really don't know where i'd like to live if i move back to canada

All things said, Calgary isn't so bad either
    Agree with that statement. I love Calgary as well. I love the fact that I live right in the city and I still get deer in my front yard almost every night.
    I love that I can do a 2-minute drive and sit in Fish Creek and feel like I'm a hundred miles from a city. The bike paths along the creeks and bow river are amazing (all 700 km's of them).
    I love being within an hours drive of the Rockies and camping within the Kananaskis areas...gorgeous.

Even being a born-Vancouverite and still loving to visit there..I don't know if I could ever move back there.

Unless I could afford something like this --> http://www.sothebysrealty.ca/idx/cms/4232/details.html
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-20-2011 at 10:35 AM.

My Ride
    1ST GEN

I lived in Vancouver for 2/3rds of my life so far (i'm 31) and I for the first few years in calgary, I thought cow town sucked ass and was cold and dirty but after a few visits back to Vancouver, I don't feel that way anymore. Vancouver does have nice things, but the rain and grey is too much for too long. Calgary is bright and sunny.

The main problem with Caglary is the hockey team....

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Originally posted by revelations

con

- women in Calgary are far better looking on average
    - women in Calagry are far NICER on average
    YOu think so?

But gas i agree, BC has the higest gas prices in canada. And lots of crime, King george highwayin surrey is the 2nd highest crime rate in all of canada. Its like forest lawn, 99% immigrants. Go to downtown van or abbotsford or langley and its 90% white haha.
    Last edited by copynpaste; 02-20-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

Originally posted by copynpaste

. Go to .... abbotsford.... and its 90% white haha.
    Whoa....you're WAY wrong on that one! West Abbotsford is almost all EI. I lived in Clearbrook and in my son's grade 1 class, he was the only white kid...every kid in his class of 28 students were EI. West Abby is about the same as south King George in Surrey.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Originally posted by Dumbass17
    i can't believe so many people are ragging on calgary and calling it a shithole, try living in a small town in northern BC with 17,000 people for most of your life. now that's a shit hole. anyone know Grande Prairie or Dawson Creek or Fort St. John? now those are shitholes my friend. i enjoyed living in calgary the last 5 years, but then again i was from the shithole areas i mentioned. i really don't know where i'd like to live if i move back to canada
    I've lived in both Grande Prairie and Dawson Creek. I want those years of my life back. Terrible terrible places.

I've lived in Vancouver now for about 2 years ... Lived in Calgary previously for 9 years.

First year in Vancouver I loved the 'no snow' part of the winter.. but then it just wouldn't stop raining!! Try walking to work in downtown when the wind breaks every single umbrella you have... which wouldn't make much difference anyway since the rain comes at you sideways!

Vancouver's roads are pretty shitty (unless you're on one of the roads that were most likely to be used by tourists during the olympics... because the government took money out of everyone's pockets to fix those roads) .. the lanes are narrowers, and it takes for freakin ever to get anywhere because there's a thousand red lights every km (obviously an exaggeration but you know what I mean) People dont drive to work downtown because even 20 kms would prbly take over an hour on a good day.

The gas is ridiculously expensive in Vancouver and the insurance is a bigger scam than Enron (but I believe all the fob drivers have something to do with that)

It's too crowded everywhere unless you go out past surrey. and let's not forget this place is run by moron Liberal party. Every time you think of buying anything, you have to remind yourself the tax is 13%!! ... even when you buy a freakin used car in a private sale!!!!!!

For the price you pay for a 600 sq ft apartment in downtown vancouver ( a decent one), you could buy a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs of calgary.

The transit is awesome in Vancouver...but it is not cheap. I believe its about twice as expensive as Calgary.

And to buy a house, you need to shell out at least $1,000,000. A tear down project house was listed for $1.1M in vancouver's west end last month and it sold for $1.6M!!!

At the moment I'm having trouble thinking of what I can do in Vancouver, that I can't in Calgary. The winters are milder in Van but once in a while you get the CHinook in Calgary. It is definitely easier to keep your car cleaner in Vancouver... but if you factor in the expensive gas and insurance, you could prbly take your car to the auto car wash in calgary once a week and still save money!

/Rant
    Last edited by avishal26; 02-21-2011 at 06:53 AM.

Thought of more points...:

In my opinion people here (in Vancouver) tolerate way too much abuse from the government...

The real estate that the majority of the people can afford here is ruled by Strata Council... which is a major pain in the ass.

Because everyone here is ridiculously wealthy for some reason, it is expected that you should pay for overpriced everything without questioning any aspect of why it is ridiculously overpriced!

I don't know how some people have so much wealth here honestly... the other day I saw a nice Audi R8 with an N sticker on the back (in BC you need an N sticker on the car if you've had your license less than 2 years).... and its almost always a young asian kid enjoying his daddy's wealth...

If you've lived here for a while then you will get the impression that you can only afford to live in Vancouver if you have an easy way of making money.... for young graduates who work long hours like me.... Vancouver is not the place to settle down, stay temporarily yes... but not settle down.

Last but not least... street parking in downtown is enforced 8am to 10pm 7 days a week! No free weekends. Right outside my work it costs a toonie for 20 minutes of parking! However, there are cheaper monthly parking places here than in Calgary.
    Last edited by avishal26; 02-21-2011 at 06:55 AM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Originally posted by avishal26
    I've lived in Vancouver now for about 2 years ...

For the price you pay for a 600 sq ft apartment in downtown vancouver ( a decent one), you could buy a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs of calgary.

The transit is awesome in Vancouver...but it is not cheap. I believe its about twice as expensive as Calgary.

And to buy a house, you need to shell out at least $1,000,000. A tear down project house was listed for $1.1M in vancouver's west end last month and it sold for $1.6M!!!

/Rant
    Again...WAY too much generalization. And you've been there 2 years? Wow...you obviously know everything about Vancouver.

Is Vancouver Real estate more expensive than Calgary. Yes, for sure.

Is it too expensive to live there? Hardly. I find Calgary just as expensive. You mention a house that went for 1.6 in Vancouver..So? Whats the diff? ---> typical Calgary in-fill. $1.9 mil

Everyone that I worked with and hung around with make way less money than a lot of Calgarians. Family income of 40-60k was normal. And they all bought houses in the Greater Vancouver area:

Tons of house in the $400-$600 range

That was just one simple search. Drive another 30 minutes towards PoCo, Maple Ridge etc, and you can easily find nice homes and duplexes for under $400k.

Even downtown apts. Over 200 different units that cost under 300k in and around the Vancouver Core:
    apts <$300k

Sure gas is a little more expensive. Maybe 6-8 cents/litre more.

Transit twice as expensive as Calgary?? How do you figure that?

Vancouver:
    Weekdays from start of service to 6:30 p.m.
    1 Zone $2.50

Weekdays after 6:30 p.m. and all day Saturday, Sunday and Holidays:

All Zones $2.50

Calgary:

Adult Fare $2.75

The differences between living in Calgary and Vancouver are virtually nil.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-21-2011 at 11:29 AM.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

-No, I disagree insurance there rocks; it is way more moderate.... my insurance there was ~1600 a year, when initially moved to Calgary the cheapest I could find was 5400, for less coverage... private insurance is such BS.

-Agree, tax in BC is stupid high.... I blame the NDP, Liberals are not much better.

The insurance system is pretty much cut and dry, if you are a good driver you are rewarded for it on a discount scale. I get 45% discount for my clean record.

Taxes are brutal from HST on almost everything to paying PST on private used car sales WTF

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast