Quantcast
I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: I think Vancouver is the nicest city in Canada, Calgary cant compare

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Tram Common

You're seriously joking, right?

You've got that one completely backwards, it's Calgarians that won't shut up about Calgary... shit, we're worse than Torontonians... it's borderline embarrassing hearing every business suit wearing faggot on the C-Train brag about how "world class" this city is.
    That's horse shit and you know it. Show me a thread anywhere titled Calgary is the best city in Canada? Anywhere and compare to all the threads titled like this. Your credibility was destroyed all in one post.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    OMFG the generalization and exaggeration in this thread is ridiculous.

Most of the bullshit posts about vancouver are from kids on here that have visited once or something silly like that.

I moved to Van in late 2006 and vancouver without a doubt clobbers calgary in absolutely every way.

Girls hotter in calgary? Oh PLEASE! They're all grain fed in calgary by comparison and they all think their shit doesn't stink.

Life isn't about Oil & Gas cubicle jobs and a bit more sun, people. Go for a jog around your sea wall and mull that over. Oh wait...
    For people that have to work until retirement age workforce, cubicle jobs is what it's all about supporting a family. Whether you believe it or not ability to make a living and job opportunities is just as big a factor in how great a city is as jogging around the sea. In this area Vancouver isn't even in the same stratosphere as Calgary.

We all know Vancouver is the best place to visit. The best place to work 9-5 and support a family? For the average person I don't think so.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

A $300k place near Kits would not be nice at all. When I was looking at ~600 sq feet places the decent ones were from $450-600+.

My mom was saying the prices of homes continue to climb due to foreign investors/buyers with loads of money to throw around. That messes up the rest of the hard work folks though.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Vancouver is gorgeous, hands down. I'd move out there in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Kelowna's nice also....

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by A790
    Vancouver is gorgeous, hands down. I'd move out there in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Kelowna's nice also....
    Interior is nice as well but has a lot of the same issues as Vancouver. Not a big fan of all the bums and granolas.

BC is blessed with some of the nicest country in Canada but it's also a welfare province so like everything you have to take the good with the bad.
    Last edited by heavyD; 02-27-2011 at 05:51 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by heavyD

For people that have to work until retirement age workforce, cubicle jobs is what it's all about supporting a family. Whether you believe it or not ability to make a living and job opportunities is just as big a factor in how great a city is as jogging around the sea. In this area Vancouver isn't even in the same stratosphere as Calgary.

We all know Vancouver is the best place to visit. The best place to work 9-5 and support a family? For the average person I don't think so.

It's also a good place to go to further your acting career.

OK seriously though, average house price in Vancouver is at least $200k more than Calgary. I love the food, the people, the scene but jesus I wouldn't even want to take my salary to Vancouver. I'll just hang around Calgary and visit the 604 once in awhile haha
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    //M

If I could afford it, I'd live in Vancouver. So expensive to live there. But after a while, Calgary's terrible summers, terrible weather, boring nightlife and downtown, and lack of things to do, was a large consideration for why I was glad to leave. Calgary is still a safe, clean, and great city to raise a family in though, no denying that. Traffic is great too vs Vancouver or even in the GTA. But would I move back? Hell no. Unless the job/money was insane.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

A friend and I were talking about this exact subject after I told him I'm hopefully emigrating soon. We pretty much agreed with what 911fever said.

Calgary is, comparatively, a really crappy place to live unless you have a family and kids you want to raise here. Also, a lot of people just seem to get trapped into their jobs here; Or feel that way at least.

So to the people that don't have families already, get out while you're able to so you can get rooted somewhere nice!

My Ride
    Mk6 GTI

Originally posted by 911fever
    If I could afford it, I'd live in Vancouver. So expensive to live there. But after a while, Calgary's terrible summers, terrible weather, boring nightlife and downtown, and lack of things to do, was a large consideration for why I was glad to leave. Calgary is still a safe, clean, and great city to raise a family in though, no denying that. Traffic is great too vs Vancouver or even in the GTA. But would I move back? Hell no. Unless the job/money was insane.
    x1000

If there wasn't as much money here in Alberta I don't think anyone would live here. Calgary beats Edmonton but Vancouver beats both.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by 911fever

You gotta at least LIKE where you live.

Nightlife was never a huge consideration for me when I was in Vancouver, but its obviously far better there, or in the GTA, as compared to Calgary.

We dont even have a gentlemans club here, like Brandis for instance. (Rage and Kenny should be all over this)

Originally posted by revelations

- women in Calgary are far better looking on average
    - women in Calagry are far NICER on average
    Soooo true. When I went to van with my girlfriend I had random dudes high five me as I walked by with her hahaha. I felt like a rock star walking with a super model when I was there.

And no, I won't be posting pics.

My Ride
    NC1

Originally posted by whiskas

Soooo true. When I went to van with my girlfriend I had random dudes high five me as I walked by with her hahaha. I felt like a rock star walking with a super model when I was there.

And no, I won't be posting pics.
    Sorry bud but when you make a claim like that without proof, in typical Beyond fashion, I have to call
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by max_boost
    Sorry bud but when you make a claim like that without proof, in typical Beyond fashion, I have to call

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

That's horse shit and you know it. Show me a thread anywhere titled Calgary is the best city in Canada? Anywhere and compare to all the threads titled like this. Your credibility was destroyed all in one post.
    How is a thread in a forum the only way to prove something like that? Something tells me you need to get outside more.

And what credibility? My credibility that my statement saying I hear far too many Calgarian suits on the C-Train brag about how amazing Calgary is? I might be wrong, but unless you were there with me on all 500 of my C-Train trips over the past seven years I don't think you can question whether or not my statement is "credible".

BC is blessed with some of the nicest country in Canada but it's also a welfare province so like everything you have to take the good with the bad.
    How is a province which extents services to the homeless and jobless a bad thing?

Oh right, you're a "Calgary is the best city in the world" fag.

... I nearly forgot.

Why would anyone want to live anywhere else, right?
    Last edited by Tram Common; 03-10-2011 at 03:35 AM.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

I like both places - for different reasons I guess.

However when I lived in BC (including some time in the West End - great to hang out), I found my money simply evaporated .... into taxes.....and my time into red tape - no love for either of those.

Didn't mind the rain ... but then I don't mind the snow ... but both suck compared to SoCal weather! lol

But even SoCal was not perfect - hard to "get away from it all". But I did love my time there and was grateful for it.

In the end perhaps it depends on your choice of how you view a place and how you choose to react to it.

And, of course, a little diversity (in wants) is good since we can't all live in one place anyway.

But one thing keeps bringing me back to Calgary - work. Hard to get by without money/affordability.

R
    Last edited by reijo; 03-10-2011 at 05:37 AM.
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

Masoncgy:

Much of the southern tip of the Island is in what's called a Rain Shadow. Meaning that we don't experience much of the gloomy rain as the effects of the Island mountain range block much of it.

But Van however, is grey and ugly and drizzling rain much of the time. Vancouver has many amenities and different, interesting places to check out but nooo way would I live there without going nuts from the gloom.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6