Quantcast
only in Calgary? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: only in Calgary?

My Ride
    mitsu

Default only in Calgary?

what are the i'section lights in calgary like since everyone speaks of uncertainty, hesitation and paranoia when approaching them. do they just change from green to red (and vice versa)?? even if it's a 3 sec delay yellow light, i still think it is enough even if u have a shitty reflex. unless it's like 1,2 secs?

and whats with those 'warnings' that a light is going to change? isn't a yellow, properly adjusted delay light enough???

just curious about your fine town's ways

what streets are they on? i havnt seen any yet....

My Ride
    '99 cbr 600

Originally posted by legereandrew4
    what streets are they on? i havnt seen any yet....
    Man they are everywhere, Stoney Trail for example...

The warning lights that tell you when the lights are going to change are usually placed before more major intersections with higher accident rates. They're usually roads that have limits of 80km/h or more. I think it's safer to know if you're going to have to stop at the intersection

My Ride
    dog sled

Every intersection is different with the intervals of when it chaqnges from green to yellow to red.

people are just paranoid because of the red light cams, people think if you enter the intersection while it's yellow and turns red while your in it, your gona get a ticket. which i don't think is true.

My Ride
    '10 RX350 & '08 e90 335i

I think the warning lights are great they at least give you a preemptive warning whether or not you should punch or start to lay off the gas.
    Autosignature

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

I know lots of the warning lights are for when the intersection is located around a corner, where the traffic light is not easily visible when you are coming up to it.
    Yep, I think the redlight cameras created a lot of paranoia about running lights, before they came out, I never worried if a light turned yellow in front of me, now I do.
    I agree if we had 3 seconds on the yellow, then we would have enough time to stop or decide to go through it, but there are some intersections you get 1 - 2 seconds (though very few).
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

The Red Light camera WILL snap a shot of you if you are crossing a yellow that changes to red before you have cleared the intersection. That's what they're for.

Just stop running the yellow light people, plain and simple.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
    The Red Light camera WILL snap a shot of you if you are crossing a yellow that changes to red before you have cleared the intersection. That's what they're for.

Just stop running the yellow light people, plain and simple.
    I don't think that is true. Well at least in Edmonton. The light has to be red when you enter the intersection. When you first cross the sensor and if the light is red the first picture is taken. It then takes another picture while you are in the intersection to prove that you did actually go through it.

Maybe you are right Roopi, but I think the sensitivity may vary from light to light and city to city. I have stopped short on a couple of yellows and watched people cross yellow and get the flash....who knows

My Ride
    mitsu

I think city council just thought of an easy way of raping its citizens to finance your policing force. Bet all the cams are on intersections with 1-2 sec delay yellow lights. YUCK

My Ride
    996 911 Turbo

Originally posted by pinoyhero
    I think the warning lights are great they at least give you a preemptive warning whether or not you should punch or start to lay off the gas.
    They are there to tell you that you will have to stop not punch it. Thats why we need red light cameras at those interesctions even though there are warning lights. Because there will always be that idiot that thinks he can beat the lights and ends up going through the red. I see it happen everyday going to school at the ones on Kensington Rd. and Crowchild I think it is. The lights start flashing and I start slowing down and some genius blows by only to go through the red. Then the idiot is stopped at the next set of lights and end up right beside him anyway.

Why don't you just slow down when they start flashing??

are those like the ones that flash when its about to turn yellow? liek 100-200meteres back form the intersection?

My Ride
    Turbos n Stuff™

those flashing lights are timed so that if you are doing the speed limit, and see the lights flashing whatsoever, you will need to stop for the light. If you dont, you will at least run a yellow. Then you get the tools that think they have a fast car and floor it, yet they were a good 200meters from the 'prepare to stop' lights. They end up locking up their brakes in an effort to stop for the red, or running it completely.
    Travel

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

In all fairness I have noticed some of those lights are timed badly.
    I can't remember now which intersections, perhaps somebody else could mention them, but there have been many times that I have been going within 5 of the speed limit, I see the lights flashing (even from a couple hundred feet back), so I slow down, and still make it though on a green going 20 under the speed limit.
    I think those lights contribute to people running the ones that are correctly timed.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

I like the traffic lights in Banff that have a little display that counts down seconds before they turn red.