Quantcast
Any advice for a very nervous 1st time flyer? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Any advice for a very nervous 1st time flyer?

My Ride
    K-car

Default Any advice for a very nervous 1st time flyer?

....I HATE planes, have so since i was about 5 when my great aunt wanted to show me the inside of one (she was a flight attendant) i wanted no part of that machine AT ALL!!

I'm now 32 and realize its time to let go of this fear of flying, besides, a great opportunity has come my way that involves a trip on a plane. My fear is not so much crashing, just more of a trapped feeling... and i dont like any kind of strong g-forces (aside from hard cornering in a car) or sudden drop feelings, like amusement park rides. Im not proud of this fear..quite ashamed really, i feel like a little baby!

Anyone here offer some advice or tips? I'm already super nervous and the trip is still over a month away.

My Ride
    Ram 1500, '68 Camaro, S14

Find someone with anxiety issues, borrow some ativan, mix it with booze. Good to Go, that's how i fly. Haha or just take the ativan alone... prob a better idea.. Or Go to your doctor, he'd prob give you a prescription anyway if you told him what's up.
    It's all good, i don't like flying either and i've probably flown 20+ times haha..

My Ride
    G37S

My Ride
    Quattro A4 Avant 1.8T 5MT

earplugs for take off, and candies to suck on so your ears dont "pop"

have a few drinks beforehand to relax a bit too.

just keep calm and breath and the g forces will be over before you know it.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

My Ride
    MY97 WRX

have a drink, its gonna happen, its no worse than riding on a greyhound bus, take off is really the only pressure you feel. if youre that uneasy about it, close your eyes and the once youre up, game set match

i have never really been a "fan" of flying, but its really not that big of a deal. you`ll be goods my friend.

My Ride
    Hatred

I've seen more car crashes than crashed planes....
    -U

My Ride
    Axis powers

i enjoy the g forces, sucking you back into your seat, it's true torque

i didn't take my first flight until i was 22 and was pretty nervous but i sucked it up and took a window seat and watched out the window the entire time that includes take off and landing

the sudden drops still get me, there's no way around those

bring some headphones and some cash for the bar and enjoy the in flight entertainment and try to zone out, if you're a smoker it will be worse so bring some nicorette gum if you can
    Sig nuked by mod.

My Ride
    Horse

yeah the feel of it taking off is amazing, same as slowing down is fun.

It is really not to bad, my gf was terrified, now she is on the laptop the whole time or watching tv
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    335i

Sleeping pills to help you pass the time, as once it's in the air things get really boring.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

Just don't worry about it.

There's nothing but a thin layer of aluminum, and some fiberglass held together with aviation tape separating you from the brutal -60*C air outside 40000 feet in the air going 500kph. Oh and the wings, they're full of fuel.

In roughly a month most migratory birds start their journeys, I hope you don't catch one in the engine!

My Ride
    POS

It's nothing like an amusement ride and is much, much more tamer. You feel a bit of pressure but that's about it. If you are prone to motion sickness get some dizzyness pills whatever they are called and take it an hour or so before you takeoff or land. If it's a long ride, get an isle seat if you can.

LOL @ Reflexfx and Whiskas, you guys are cold!

Originally posted by Unknown303
    I've seen more car crashes than crashed planes....
    But I know more people who have survived car crashes than plane crashes....

Honestly your going to be nervous and if you seem drunk they wont let you on the plane. Just ignore these guys, albiet funny, not very helpful.

I have flown a fair lot in my life (30-40 round trips) for work and personal, and I find it almost boring and frustrating now. Except for Take off and looking out the window. Two things I cannot get enough of.

Just try not to think of it. Stay away from what scares you (if you are afraid of heights dont look out the window) and do your best to remember that you WILL be okay that the fear you have is all in your head.

Do your best to enjoy it, there is something about flying that I just love.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by Cos
    Take off and looking out the window. Two things I cannot get enough of.

Just try not to think of it. Stay away from what scares you (if you are afraid of heights dont look out the window) and do your best to remember that you WILL be okay that the fear you have is all in your head.

Do your best to enjoy it, there is something about flying that I just love.
    Great advice. I absolutely love flying too, I took so many amazing pics while flying over the swiss alps, and just of the amazing clouds etc. Its amazing to see the world from up there. It just never gets old.

You can have a few drinks to take the edge off, but if it helps, bring a laptop and watch movies.

Most pilots can handle any situation, so dont worry about that either.

About that trapped feeling, thats a toughy, maybe take something for anxiety related problems. Or find out either through a doctor or psychologist how to deal with those problems.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 02-22-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

Go to the Doctor.
    Get a prescription.
    Enjoy your flight.
    Use the extra to enjoy wherever you're going.

My Ride
    2003 Civic

to help with the "trapped" feeling, consider getting an aisle seat, that way it is easier to move around if you need to...

Take comfort in the fact that if something bad should happen, at least a ton of other people will go down with you

Like you, I had a fear of flying. A 16 hour flight does not make a good impression on a 1st time flier who is a nervous wreck. But the chances of something going wrong with a commercial plane is pretty small taking into fact how many commercial planes fly around in a day.

Drink a shot or two before you take off, and sleep the whole way through. Or pull an all nighter the night before your flight, so that by the time the plane goes airborne, you'll be fast asleep.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Dude, I have been flying more times than I like to remember. My pilot's log book has almost 780 hours on it.

I am also probably one of the only people you will know that has survived a plane crash.

even the crash was not that bad. Really, flying is extremely safe. Even safer than trains. Honestly, have a beer or 2, and get on, bring your camera, and take some pics out the window.

The first time you do it, it is really exciting.

Think about it like the first time you had sex. Nervous and excited all at the same time, and you have so much fun, it ends too soon!
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

after you fly more than 10 times a year... flying becomes quite mundane and boring. i just want time to go faster once we're airbourne... or at least give me some drug to knock me out until we land. I hate it cuz I cannot sleep on a plane. If you can afford it, get onto business class... the seats are wider, you have more room to breathe, and you don't feel as confined. I try to rack up as many aeroplan points every year to get the Aeroplan Gold Elite status, which gives me upgrade credits I can use towards flights... those flat beds in business class are awesome...

nothing worse than being stuck in a plane for 15 hours, then transferring onto another plane for another 5 hours. It's hell. I just put on my headphones (get good ones that can drown out all ambient noises), and shut my eyes.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast