Quantcast
Sleep Apnea -> Insulin Resistance -> Weight gain/low energy - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Sleep Apnea -> Insulin Resistance -> Weight gain/low energy

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Default Sleep Apnea -> Insulin Resistance -> Weight gain/low energy

A viscious circle of events.

For those of you who know people with Sleep Apnea (specifically obstructive)... did they develop insulin resistence? Did they feel lethargic and sleepy alot during the day? Did they gain weight and when trying to take it off was very difficult?

I'm hoping with the removal of an obstruction in my airway that OSA will no longer occur and my body will have the proper rest so that insulin resistance will reverse itself and lead to higher energy levels and loss of weight.

Anyone with first hand experience where solving a sleep problem helped to get their health back on track?

I used to have Sleep Apnea, but then I lost 150lbs and Voila gone

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Yeah my bro and I are hardcore insomniacs due to sleep apnea. try asking the doctor for Liposom, or liposol, something like that. It really helps put you to sleep, and keeps you sleeping.
    (sorry I'll ask my bro what its called, its been so long since I've taken some)
    For the insulin resistance, no he never notices it, and neither do I, but thats probably because Im a type 1 diabetic.

I'll let you know as soon as I do what its actually called.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Originally posted by Jeremiah
    I used to have Sleep Apnea, but then I lost 150lbs and Voila gone

same here but it was only 30 lbs. Once I lost the weight my health improved a great deal.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    TL

i have sleep apnea, im only 155ish lbs at 5'10". i haven't gotten it fully fixed just because my insurance and the sleep apnea clinic just gave me the run around not really solving anything. i got really involved in school/work, so i had to stop the attempt in fixing it.. mine isn't as severe as most cases but it definitely hit me hard in the gym. im a pretty skinny and a shitty sleep will hinder your gains significantly.

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Default Re: Sleep Apnea -> Insulin Resistance -> Weight gain/low energy

Originally posted by JDMMAN
    A viscious circle of events.

For those of you who know people with Sleep Apnea (specifically obstructive)... did they develop insulin resistence? Did they feel lethargic and sleepy alot during the day? Did they gain weight and when trying to take it off was very difficult?

I'm hoping with the removal of an obstruction in my airway that OSA will no longer occur and my body will have the proper rest so that insulin resistance will reverse itself and lead to higher energy levels and loss of weight.

Anyone with first hand experience where solving a sleep problem helped to get their health back on track?
    Not first hand on myself. But I see a number of clients with sleep apnea. When they get on a CPAP or obstruction gets fixed weight loss will continue.

I see insulin resistance as a major undiagnosed factor in a ton of people trying to lose weight. Some Drs I work with have spotted type 2 diabetes 6 months before irregular blood glucose levels by testing blood insulin.

Lack of sleep has a lot to do with hormone regulation. The weight gain is greatly due to the hormones Grehlin and Leptin. They regulate apetite and storage of energy.

I have noted that many insomniacs and sufferers of sleep apnea have a greater apetite than those with normal sleeping patterns.

Yeah, totally. I found that was happening to me. It got so bad that by the time I was referred to a sleep clinic, I couldn't even play hockey (something I've done all my life) because of lack of energy and because I was falling out of shape so fast.

I use a CPAP now, and have been since the fall. It's made a WORLD of difference for my energy levels. Don't get me wrong, I still have really hard time waking up, and staying up in the morning/early afternoon, and I've found that I'm more of a night-person/worker now. It's when I have my energy.

Once I started treatment, I also noticed that I began to lose noticeable amounts of weight. In general, I think working to solve my sleep problem has made me a healthier person in the past few months.

If anyone needs a CPAP machine and they don't have extended medical or company medical that can cover it, then look into buying it direct from the states.

I'm on a CPAP machine as well. The one I wanted was $2200 here from the sleep clinic in Calgary. It's the "ResMed S8 Elite II" with the heated humidifier. I got it from a distributor in the US for $774.50 all taxes in. Then had a buddy ship it to me here for another $30. Buy the time it landed I was well under $900 for the very same machine that they wanted $2200 for here.

If your work or medical covers it, then great..but if not, look into what I did.

My Ride
    94 Celica GT-FOUR,

sounds like you're pregnant...sorry

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Finally underwent surgery last Thursday to have a complete tonsillectomy; that was the obstruction in the airway causing OCA.

The swelling hasn't gone down yet, and I'm not off the pain killers yet, but I can already feel a significant difference in how much easier it is to breath.

Hopefully this will help resolve my energy issues and also get me back on track to better health.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Just to note - Insulin resistance is nothing you can 'feel'.

It will add weight yes. It will cause higher blood sugar yes, and is not ideal.

The best and EASIEST way to increase insulin (In a normal, healthy body - read no diabetes) is eating a low carb diet.

Working on sleep + diet can and will result in drastic changes.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft