Quantcast
Water from bathroom ceiling fan - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water from bathroom ceiling fan

My Ride
    2015 Lexus RX350

Default Water from bathroom ceiling fan

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this issue for me as I don't know much about houses

This is for a brand new 2 story townhouse that was finished being built on January 24, 2011

We have 2 bathrooms on the upper level and in one of the bathrooms water drips from the ceiling fan.

Now I know it's sometimes normal for small amounts of water to drip due to humidity and condensation, especially in the winter months.

But here is the kicker, on 2 different occasions, once after a shower and once when nobody was home, as much as a Pepsi can full of water has dripped from the fan. It CANNOT be normal for that much water to drip.....right???

The water has now caused a watermark in the ceiling right beside the fan.

Photo below shows the ceiling right after a major drip

[IMG][/IMG]

This photo shows the yellow stain after it has dried. You may have to look really closely at the picture to find it

[IMG][/IMG]

I have talked to the builder and they say the watermark is normal and it will just dry. Well no crap it will just dry but it is now stained and if I am not mistaken that means there could be mold and damage in the ceiling/attic.....???

Just wanted some opinions and what course of action to take before I go to the New Home Warranty.

Thanks!!!

EDIT: One more thing....what causes a showerhead to constantly squeal when turned on?? We have 3 bathrooms and one the showerhead in the same bathroom mentioned above squeals loudly!!!

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

There is another thread about this on here...it happens to almost everybody when the weather is really cold....(including me)...the moist air is freezing on the vent on the roof, when it gets warm (the sun) thaws the ice and it leaks back down the vent pipe
    "Life is tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."

^ This.

Or it could be what I had. I have a central humidification system and I usually turn it up in the summer and down in the winter. I had forgotten to turn it down one winter and condensation was collecting in the attic on the inside of the roof and eventually dropping on the ceiling.

Turned down the humidity and it was gone

that is really odd though that this would happen, wrath's description sounds dead on but I still find it weird that this should happen. We had ceiling fans installed about 10 years ago on all our washrooms and have never had this issue. Possibly a poor design?

Originally posted by J-hop
    that is really odd though that this would happen. We had ceiling fans installed about 10 years ago on all our washrooms and have never had this issue. Possibly a poor design?
    No.

Originally posted by soiledunderwear

No.
    explain...

obviously there is something different about the way our systems were designed, this should not happen.

My Ride
    2005 F350

This does not happen at my house. in either bathroom.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

Found the Thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325384/ba...n-fan-leaking/

Do a google search....lots on there about it too...

My Ride
    2015 Lexus RX350

I understand that this happens once in a while but to the point where it leaves a watermark on the ceiling??? Isn't that a little too much water??

Couldn't this cause mold or any type of damage in the future??

We do have a central humidification system as well and will turn it down

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

Originally posted by J-hop
    that is really odd though that this would happen, wrath's description sounds dead on but I still find it weird that this should happen. We had ceiling fans installed about 10 years ago on all our washrooms and have never had this issue. Possibly a poor design?
    It also could be that the vent pipe in the attic is not insulated properly. (I doubt our in our town house is)

The vent by code must be insulated a certain distance from the roof....so there might be ice forming in the pipe as well...

Originally posted by Wrath
    Found the Thread

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/325384/ba...n-fan-leaking/

Do a google search....lots on there about it too...
    yea I totally agree with your explanation, but the point is that ceiling fans venting like this are of a very poor design. I just looked at mine and the vent for the fan is not directly above the fan it is a fair bit to the side of vertical, thus it doesn't leave a straight vertical path for the water to drip back down into the fan thus we don't have this issue.

edit: and You are probably right about the insulation, I haven't looked in our attic but I have a feeling it is insulated the whole way up

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

Also...a Mod should move this to Home & Garden

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

This shouldn't be happening at all. There should be no water coming back in through the ceiling fan. None.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by soccernut
    ^ This.

Or it could be what I had. I have a central humidification system and I usually turn it up in the summer and down in the winter. I had forgotten to turn it down one winter and condensation was collecting in the attic on the inside of the roof and eventually dropping on the ceiling.

Turned down the humidity and it was gone
    This shouldn't be happening either. Means that you don't have a proper vapor barrier. There shouldn't be anything venting into your attic at all. No condensation or anything like that.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    2023 Durango SRT 392

Originally posted by codetrap
    This shouldn't be happening at all. There should be no water coming back in through the ceiling fan. None.
    No it shouldn't happen.....but it IS quite common.

If you vent connection is bad in your attic...thats all it takes.

I'd guess its a bad connection

My Ride
    BMW, should buy Toyota

Default hmm

This will sound a bit crazy but on the exit tube of your fan there is a little flapper valve-check to make sure that opens and closes properly. It is placed where the fixture meets the "plumbing"-sorry can't think of any other way to describe the pipe going out.

Another common problem is that if the exhaust pipe isn't exactly straight ie curves/dips/is too long etc it can collect water (condensation) the cold air coming back from the roof vent will turn it back to liquid and bamo puddle on your floor.

** This is not normal and you should not let the builder tell you this**

You shouldn't ever have condensation in your exhaust duct or have water dripping into the bathroom, that's a problem. Tell your builder to get a clue and get that fixed.

I would guess that the pipe itself isn't properly insulated or the region where the vent exhausts to outside is inadequate, allowing vapours to hang out up top and condense.

Either way, it might be common but it's a problem that needs to be corrected.

My Ride
    oooo

I posted this in the other thread instead of here by accident...

"There is actually a very simple solution for this. Basically the duct should be wrapped in insulation. New homes they don't do this a lot so you end up with condensation etc dripping on the floor.

It's way to cold to go up in your attic and wrap your duct now so for the time being just pull down firmly on the fan cover, it will drop about an inch. THen squeeze the clips with your fingers and remove it. Put a towel on the floor under the fan because it will drip directly on the floor. nothing bad will happen, but it will prevent the cover from holding water and letting it seep into the ceiling drywall.

All the parts inside are metal so if they are a little wet nothing its ok, you just don't want the ceiling to get wet or it will stain and look like crap.

When it gets warmer out grab some foil backed insulation from home depot, lowes, totem etc and wrap/tape it around the duct so it doesn't happen again."

how do i know this? because I had the same problem in our master bath suite the first winter in our new house. I insulated it and its been fine since.
    Last edited by sillysod; 02-24-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    2017 VW Jetta 1.4T (winter car)
    2010 F-350 Nortruck Tool Shed
    2007 BMW 5 (Wifey's)
    2004 Audi A4 1.8T 6spd Stage III w/ Meth
    1985 F-250 6.9L IDI w/ATS turbo

My Ride
    Gas guzzler!

I had this last year in my house, its not normal because in the house I had before this did not happen in the 5 years we were there.

We had the builder fix it, something along the lines the vent was upside down and was open to the snow side and would of course let water back down when the temps became warmer.

It hasn't done it since.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

The only time I've ever seen this was a contractor that wasn't exactly bright and put all the vapor barrier and insulation on the ceiling of the attic instead of the floor so that the home owners could use the attic for storage. So all kinds of moisture collected in the attic, couldn't get out, froze and then dripped down when it melted.

Some ideas to think about.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast