Quantcast
In the market for a BBQ grill - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a BBQ grill

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Default In the market for a BBQ grill

I'm in need of a BBQ grill but really have no idea where to start as to what to look for, what to stay away from, etc.... Maybe someone can offer some helpful advice?

I guess the first thing I'm curious about is when would a good time to get one? Since it's winter now, are stores typically willing to move on the price easily to make a sale or is it the opposite where stock is usually lower at this time of the year (or some stores not even carry them at all)? I'd love to get a grill sooner than later, but if waiting for the spring is a better idea to save money, I'm fine with that.

Are "mega-store" brands usually okay (ie: Canadian Tire/Costco/Home Depot)? What sort of things should I look for and what should I stay away from?

I should mention that I live in a condo, so getting a grill large enough to roast a hippopotamus isn't going to be happening unfortunately. I do have a natural gas line on the balcony though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

From what I learned when I bought my BBQ. Weber and Broil King are the brands you want to look for in a long lasting quality BBQ.

I ended up getting a Centro 5800 BBQ from Canadian Tire ONLY cause it was on sale and they had a price glitch. It was supposed to be $699 but I snagged it for $349. After all said and done, it works good, stainless steel BUT there is some hot spots and way too big for my small condo balcony but I couldn't pass up 827 sq/in of grilling space and 80,000 BTU's.

As for where to go, hit up Barbecue Galore. They have Weber/Broil King and Viking Grills and should be able to point you in the right direction.

My suggestion is getting a Broil King Monarch 20 or

http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca/
    Last edited by dj_rice; 02-27-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Webber has an excellent reputation.

Don't bother with side burners or the extra rotisserie burner. I never use mine.

Cast Iron grill is nice. Holds the heat and sears nice lines in your steak.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Im a firm believer of "you get what you pay for"....HOWEVER...when I went to buy my ultimate BBQ, I started at places like Trail Appliances, BBQ's Galore, etc and I saw prices of two, three up to $5,000 for a BBQ?!!

Way out of my price range so I went to Canadian Tire and their biggest one (Centro 4 burner with side grill and rotisserie) was $749 (natural gas version) and came with a 5 year warranty. I figured even if it only lasts 5 years, thats still only $150 a year.

Well after having it for four years, I haven't had ONE iota of trouble!! Still going strong. LOVE the BBQ!! I use the rotisserie all the time for chickens and roasts. (I bought the proper attachment).

So..there ya have it. Weber and all those high-end units I'm sure are great....but I'm totally happy with my "bottom of the line" CT special!!

Last edited by C_Dave45; 02-27-2011 at 06:34 PM.

I have a Webber Genesis (natgas) and it kicks butt. One thing to note is that Home Depot's Webber grills are slightly different than the ones at Barbecues Galore. Basically the flavour bars and the grates you put your meats on are different.

The ones at BBQ Galore have stainless steel flavour bars and grates and are much thicker - so they hold heat for a longer time and distribute heat a lot more evenly. The ones at Home Depot, Rona and similar (while still good and will last a long time) are cast iron and may rust over time if you use the wrong cleaning brush or through normal wear and tear over time.

Other brands to look at is Napoleon and Vermont Castings. In my opinion, those are the main ones who deliver good / consistent quality and should stick to them.

The ones at Superstore are crap and should be avoided at all cost. My buddy at work bought one and with the heat, it started to bow - which is crazy.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

I have the Weber Genesis too steaks, burgers, chicken cooks really nice and even... it is WAY better than my old 2 burner CT grill.

I bought mine at Sears Home during one of their sales... i ended up getting the floor model for half price. I wanted a nat gas, but all they had was propane... but the deal was too good to pass up. I tried to price match the exact same model at bbq galore, and after the sales lady spoke with her manager, she just said no way, that wasn't remotely possible.

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

I have a Weber Genesis. The side burner is useful for sauteing mushrooms and stuff.

Cast iron grill in my opinion is better than stainless steel for holding heat and maintenance. They'll rust if you like to scrub the grill after cooking, but all it takes is a brush scrub to get it off. You're supposed to leave the stuff on after cooking and do a burn off before the next meal anyway.

There's a BBQ deals thread at RFD that has a lot of discussions.

Another brand that I would consider is Napoleon (as mentioned above). They make great stuff, and the hood design is pretty good for convection cooking. I'm just not sure about their wavy grill design...I like the straight cross marks on my steak.

It's better to spend $1000 on a good grill that'll last 15 years than $300 on a crappy grill that you'll be unhappy with and will need to replace every 3 years.

Cast Iron vs Stainless Steel
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 02-27-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

I currently have 4 different "BBQs" on my deck, ranging in size and uses. Weber is a great name, no doubt about it, but for the average joe, really not needed. They will age like any other out there, and really, for the price you pay, not really worth it for the average joe.

The things I will point the average joe to would be this:

1) get a stainless steel grill. Yes they are a bitch to keep clean, but they don't rust either. In my opinion, a greasy BBQ is the sign of an enthusiast.

2) get ceramic grill inserts for your grill to cook on. So much easier to clean, will hold some heat, and don't rust, while still being hard as fuck.

now, with that said, really, you should decide WHAT you want to cook most often. depending on what you are cooking, you may be better to get an actual BBQ, rather than a grille. People get the 2 confused all the time. A Grill is a propane or natural gas cooking apparatus, while a REAL BBQ uses only charcoal or briquettes.

If all you really are going to cook is steaks, hotdogs and burgers, a grill is probably best, and in most scenarios for the average joe, a grill is the best.

However, should you decide to take your cooking to a whole new level, I would invest in a BBQ / Smoker. I have 2 of these. I have a bullet smoker and an offset BBQ / smoker. To be honest, I can even cook the same frozen burger on my offset over charcoal, and another on my LP grille, and the charcoal burger wins EVERY TIME! The down fall to a charcoal BBQ is time. it is not as simple as light a match and get the gas going. It takes me 30+ mins to get my smokers going, and that is before I start putting meat on it.

It is a trade off either way you look at it. Grilles cook your food faster, but sacrifice taste. Smokers / BBQs cook better food, but they are not really good for a go on a whim type meal, they take some planning.

best part is, a lot of smokers are cheaper than LP grilles, and if you host a lot of dinners, your guests will love it!

let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

That's awesome, thanks for all the info guys!

I have a 6 year old mid-range Broil King and it is still going strong.

Make sure you get something hot (100 BTU per square inch of grill) and heavy uncoated cast iron grilles.

A good BBQ is only as good as its heat and its grille. Brand names like Weber don't necessarily give you a better BBQ.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by spikers get a stainless steel grill.
    Not this
    Originally posted by sputnik Make sure you get . . . heavy uncoated cast iron grilles.
    This.

I'm a big fan of cast iron. People say it gets rusty, but I that's only a concern if you wash it. Cast iron needs to stay a little greasy, which means it's prefect for a lazzy person. Just scrape off the chunks and you are good to go.
    look up "seasoning a cast iron grille" for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    FIAT SPORT

I also bought a centro gas grill from canadian tire but I only got the $450 two falls seasons ago. Never had a single problem. And the good part was, since it was fall they had some specials and the girl in the cashier said oh, you get a $20 canadian tire store credit. Ends up it was $100 bucks in the card.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    I'm a big fan of cast iron. People say it gets rusty, but I that's only a concern if you wash it. Cast iron needs to stay a little greasy, which means it's prefect for a lazzy person. Just scrape off the chunks and you are good to go.
    look up "seasoning a cast iron grille" for more info.
    Exactly. My grill gets a bit rusty naturally if I don't use it for a while.

All I do is fire up the BBQ and the oils that have penetrated the cast iron quickly come out and the rust is gone. If the grill is dry after heating I just take some peanut oil or vegetable oil and brush it directly onto the hot grill to help season it.

Cast iron is the best surface too cook on.

My Ride
    B7 A4

I got Napoleon Prestige with ceramic infrared side burner which provides additional cooking space and intense infrared heat.
    Did I mention stainless steel cooking grids? Beauty! No flareups!

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

Originally posted by sputnik

Exactly. My grill gets a bit rusty naturally if I don't use it for a while.

All I do is fire up the BBQ and the oils that have penetrated the cast iron quickly come out and the rust is gone. If the grill is dry after heating I just take some peanut oil or vegetable oil and brush it directly onto the hot grill to help season it.

Cast iron is the best surface too cook on.
    Yeah, I'm definitely a fan of cast iron, so good call on that. I probably would've overlooked that had it not been mentioned. Rust isn't that big of a concern to me since I typically brush vegetable oil on anyways.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

The mid level $250ish Broil King will last forever. And like other said don't bother with a side burner. It's always way too windy to even use.

If you want to spend a little more then the base Weber will actually last forever.

Don't bother with a massive 10 burner stainless bbq that takes half an hour and half a tank to warm up.

My Ride
    335i

The weber Q300 is what I have and it's a great bbq. It's not pretty, but the construction is as solid as any bbq I've seen and the size makes it perfect for smaller homes. The cooking area has enough room to cook for a whole family at once, and the heat is distributed right to the very edges so you don't lose any cooking space. I found it at Home Depot on one of their promos for $300.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

I went with the Charcoal weber one-touch gold BBQ and absolutely love it. I find the taste better then propane or gas and its perfect if space is limited.

I also bought the weber chimney starter which ignites the coals ready to cook in about 15 minutes in -15 degree weather. (Haven't had a chance to use it in nice weather yet).

It was also under $200 from BBQ galore and the chimney starter was around $20.

My Ride
    1982 Chevette

Check out Bass Pro shop in cross Iron, they have some sweet BBQ's and smokers... Obviously find something that suits your deck, but BBQ's can last you 10+ years, so the investment into a nicer one is noticeable..

A big thing is to buy the cover, we don't have a wet climate, but a cheaper BBQ will rust after some time...

Also keep it clean. And enjoy =D

I'm a charcoal guy, but I also compete and have placed well in the PNWBA, very well in fact... 3rd overall in Ribs and that's thanks to my Weber Bullet

For grills, I personally suggest Weber as well... you can keep a genesis for a lifetime, as parts are easily available through them.

Broil King/Sterling/Broil Mate are all the same manufacturors, and for a mid-line grill, they offer great value for dollar...
    Honestly if you're looking @ Broil King, might as well go to Home Depot to get a Broil Mate instead.

but in the line of Vermont Castings/Weber/Blue Ember, they're all quite good

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast