Quantcast
Garage floor - epoxy paints - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Garage floor - epoxy paints

My Ride
    M5 Competition

Default Garage floor - epoxy paints

Anyone paint their garage floor using an epoxy paint? How did you like it? Any brand you recommend?

My Ride
    2002 Trans-Am

If I could do it again I'd leave my garage unpainted cement. Paint peals, holds water, and is extremely slippery when snow or water is on it.

Cement dries fast, you can pressure wash it and it's dry in an hr.

My Ride
    M5 Competition

My uncle painted his floor, with a self leveling epoxy paint, haven't talked to him yet to see what he used, but his looks just as good as the day he put it in two years ago.

Originally posted by 02WhiteWs6
    If I could do it again I'd leave my garage unpainted cement. Paint peals, holds water, and is extremely slippery when snow or water is on it.

The stuff my neighbor has is full of a sandpaper like grit, and is not slippery in the least when it's wet.

Originally posted by 02WhiteWs6

Pressure washing a garage floor is MESSY.

Not everyone wants water and mud all over their cabinets and tool boxes after each cleaning. Epoxy paint is much easier to sweep and keeps things cleaner in the long run.

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

I got our garage epoxied through our builder; not the cheapest option, but saved me the headache (from the fumes and the hassle) of doing it myself. Don't have the product name though, sorry!

Ours has the flakes in it to help with traction during the winter months; our next door neighbours, on the other hand, went with the smooth surface. The flakes definitely make a world of difference with traction.

As for cleaning, both clean up just as easily with a broom but ours is definitely harder to get oil stains out of (care of my poor oil changing skills) compared to the neighbours.

As for the comment about the unpainted cement, sure they may be easy to hose off (w/o a pressure washer even), but because ALL non-epoxed cement garages crack, all that grit and grime getting stuck in the cracks are enough reason alone for me to epoxy the floor.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Anyone tried tiles like these, http://www.fastflor.com/ ?

It cost more but I don't want the prep, smell and leaving cars outside for a week.

I want it done in a day and cars back in by night fall.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

Originally posted by mo_money2supe
    As for the comment about the unpainted cement, sure they may be easy to hose off (w/o a pressure washer even), but because ALL non-epoxed cement garages crack, all that grit and grime getting stuck in the cracks are enough reason alone for me to epoxy the floor.
    The epoxy doesn't keep the garage floor from cracking.......
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    2018 Tesla P3D

Originally posted by Zero102
    The epoxy doesn't keep the garage floor from cracking.......
    So far so good... Maybe because the epoxy was laid down after the floors started cracking that I don't notice it? If it still cracks, then shame on me.

Get 6 months of free supercharging & FSD trial when you buy a new Tesla: https://ts.la/simon82305
    Free test drives for actual interested parties! We own both a Model 3 Performance and a Model X 90D.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

check out epoxy-coat.ca

They have 100% solid epoxy coating, which means a thicker layer than water based epoxies. It's not too expensive, around $400 for ~500sq ft, and comes with the entire kit you need to DIY. I'm debating whether to order the clear coating as well... it gets pretty expensive. It's supposed to last over 15 years.

they are the canadian retailer for epoxy-coat.com. and I'm a bit miffed at how much extra they are charging compared to the states. I spoke with the distributor in the states, and they said they are starting to sell at LOWES, but nothing yet for Canada. He said I may be able to special order from our store, but I haven't tried yet.

that's what i'm going to use this summer.

check out garagejournal.com, lots of good info for garage renos

My Ride
    90hp beast

Would you consider Polishing your concrete?

My Ride
    Horse

Industrial Paints and Plastics in builkders park, they have lots of stuff, all the mixes, colors, grit.

Even if you go in and see whats up and compare prices.

I am in no way affiliated with them, just had extremely great times dealing with them
    Originally posted by rage2
    Ya, I built some crazy ass shit with Lego as a kid. I had a thing for AMC Eagle AWD's as a kid for some bizarre reason, so I spent a lot of time going to the library and reading up on how AWD works in that car. I even hitchhiked to the library once cuz my parents were too lazy to drive me haha. Ya, I'm a nerd.

My Ride
    King Ranch with boots and a hat to match

have you considered staining it?

There must be some difference between DIY "epoxy" paint and the real stuff. The last house I did where the homeowner put down epoxy paint, it was the real stuff done by professionals. Took them a few days for prep work and application, and it cost over $8,000 for a 3 car garage.

I guess the questions begs "what is your budget, Brad?" That will determine what product to use. I've never seen any of the "DIY" products stand up to more than a couple of years before it starts to break down and peel, flake away.

I put down 16x16 polished porcelain on mine.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by C_Dave45

I put down 16x16 polished porcelain on mine.
    How much is that for 850 sqft?

Originally posted by benyl

How much is that for 850 sqft?
    The particular stuff I put on mine? Ohhhhh around $13,000, installed. I got a deal on the labour, though

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

Thought about rubber floor tiles. Runs about 2.70 per sq foot. I'm picking up some for my garage, I'll post pics when it's done

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

I've seen people that have done the cement paint thing, costs about $100. Personally, I wouldn't bother with this one.

Another friend of mine had the plastic/epoxy coating professionally done at his place and it looked awesome. Basically sealed the entire floor and up the cement sides so you could essentially squeegee it out. I think this runs about $5-6 per sq ft. There's that garage place in Cross Iron mills that has some product that I think they are charging $6.50 per sq ft to apply. They also have a bunch of stuff for garage ideas, i.e. lifts, cabinets, workbenches, etc.

What is everyone's thoughts on those garage floor sheets at Costco? They are 6.5'x20' PVC rolls for $180. I figure a 20'x22' garage would need 3 sheets or something. The thing I like about this is that it is an economic solution that you could easily discard after a number of years of wear.

VersaRoll PVC Garage Flooring
    http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....0000&eCat=BCCA|20483|20744|20745&N=4009745&Mo=1&pos=5&No=0&Nr=P_CatalogName:BCCA&cat=20745&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-CA&Sp=C&ec=BCCA-EC18385-Cat20744&topnav=

My Ride
    ////M

Originally posted by JordanLotoski
    Thought about rubber floor tiles. Runs about 2.70 per sq foot. I'm picking up some for my garage, I'll post pics when it's done
    Not sure if you have done much research, but does dirt and water get in between the tiles? Are they easy to keep clean?

My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com

There are a full rubber tile, super easy to pop one out if it gets damaged or needs to be cleaned. It's gonna cost me about 1500.00 to do my entire garage. Like the look a lot better then the epoxy.

"BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Instagram @jordan_empirewest
    Ranked #1 RE/MAX Professionals (2013-2022)
    Ranked #2 RE/MAX Agent Calgary (2017-2020)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max agent Western Canada (2013-2021)
    Ranked #56 RE/MAX Agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked Top 100 Re/Max Agent Canada (2013-2020)

Check out my mobile app
    goagent.ca/98F1B2F9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast