Quantcast
Using car sub in my house: how do i go about this? anyone done it? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Using car sub in my house: how do i go about this? anyone done it?

Default Using car sub in my house: how do i go about this? anyone done it?

I know its possible, some do it. My car sub box just has the standard red/black speaker wire terminals (where you feed bare wire through). Is there a way to perhaps put a reg coax jack on the sub box so that i can just feed reg subwoofer cable through?

Reason why i want to use this sub as my home is because im overdue for a new home sub. i happened to buy a new slimline shallow car sub so i have no use for my old car sub now. I know from past exp. that its nothing but a pain in the arse to sell used car audio stuff. So if i can use this in my house instead itd take a huge burden off my shoulders.

The problem is that my home theater receiver only has a pre-amp output for a subwoofer, so I don't think I can power my speaker through the receiver itself. I have a class D mono amp for my subwoofer in my car, which I think runs at 12V. I was told I can use the car amp to power the car sub while having the sub connected to my home receiver? Is this true? How can I set this up to run in my house exactly? Has anyone actually done this using a car amplifier, and if so, what will I need to do?

This is what you need:

1. Car sub and amp (obviously)
    2. Rca-outs from stereo or computer etc, preferably subwoofer "pre out" and long enough sub cable to go from home receiver sub out to car amp.
    3. Computer power supply (the more wattage the better, keep on eye at 12v ratings. Not sure where you could get a used cheap power supply - anyone want to suggest places?

When you have all the mentioned stuff, just connect sub+rca to car amp and power supply's 12v + and - wires to amp (usually yellow and black cable, easily acquired from molex leads).

You must also make a jumpwire from +12v to remote (which sorry dont know how to do exactly).

And you're done!
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

Battery charger --> capacitor or car battery (cap is safer, no risk of acid leak and looks cleaner) --->car amp--->subwoofer.

Originally posted by mr2mike
    Battery charger --> capacitor or car battery (cap is safer, no risk of acid leak and looks cleaner) --->car amp--->subwoofer.
    capacitor would work instead of computer power supply?
    Originally posted by Thaco
    get an lcd for anywhere, with the 120/240hz it's superior in all ways.
    LOL

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by copynpaste

capacitor would work instead of computer power supply?
    No hes suggesting a 12V battery charger instead.

Youd have to go with a pretty decent charger for a big sub though.

Ya the cap or battery is to try and reduce the on/off draw of the amp for the sub. Its hard on the battery charger, much like its hard on a car alternator.

You could use a computer power supply, but it would look pretty messy because you'd have to figure out a way to turn it on and off. If your amp isnt too high wattage, you can look at some 12V AC adapters that are meant for LCD screens. I see some of them being able to put out 5 amps or more and you can get these cheap on eBay.

If you can find a subwoofer plate amp for a decent price and be willing to cut out a hole in your sub box, this would probably be the cleanest looking approach.

My Ride
    07 Avalanche

why couldn't you just use a 120 to 12 converter? Not enough amps??

My Ride
    1982 Chevette

Just grab a cheapo PS from future shop or mem ex. should be between 50 to 100

Originally posted by nobb

If you can find a subwoofer plate amp for a decent price and be willing to cut out a hole in your sub box, this would probably be the cleanest looking approach.
    That's the issue... it looks ghetto unless you build a little cabinet or something to house things so everyone isn't looking at the setup.

For the shit you're going to go through trying to get this hooked up, and how bad it will sound compared to a real HT sub, just go buy a cheap actual home theater sub, there are lots of bang for the buck subs out there, particularly with online-only companies (SVS, HSU, etc.). You could look at used subs too.

Orrrrrr buy a plate amp specifically for home theater. Just make sure your sub/amp has the appropriate impediance.

http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=BASH500

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    You could look at used subs too.

There are always used ones available for cheap, and like you said - it will sound better and be less messy anyway.

My Ride
    changes every year

why dont you just buy an open banana plug or whatever type of plug it uses, rca etc and hook it up to the speaker wire on the sub then to the amp?? or am i missing something completely?

also, back in the day i did do this(in 1998 when i was 18 or so) and didnt know any better so if you dont i thought id throw it out there.

the magnets differ on car subs vs home subs so if they are too close to your tv, it will burn your tv. it happened to my tube tv when i did it, id move the subs and you can see the burn going away, move it close to the tv again and you can see the burn coming back. just an FYI.
    Last edited by 03ozwhip; 03-03-2011 at 12:30 PM.

i have a car sub in my home theater and it work very well. running it with a qsc rmx2450 bridged into mono with a reckhorn b-1 crossover.
    Last edited by Zorac; 03-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.