Quantcast
Haskayne Part time mba - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Haskayne Part time mba

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Default Haskayne Part time mba

Hello,

I am applying for admission into the part-time mba program at the UofC. I am currently debating between the morning and evening program. I am most definitely leaning towards the morning program, as you don't have to kick around downtown till ~10pm, but the next intake is in January, where as the evening program's next intake is in September.

Is anyone here currently enrolled in the MBA program at the UofC? part-time full-time, or have completed the program.

I am looking for reviews, advice and just your general experience.

Cheers!

My Ride

no body eh? common guys

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Do yourself a favour and do the executive program. I did the part time and worked full time (you are actually a full-time student as you take 3 classes / semester).

You will have no life for 3-4 years doing part time.

My Ride

Originally posted by benyl
    Do yourself a favour and do the executive program. I did the part time and worked full time (you are actually a full-time student as you take 3 classes / semester).

You will have no life for 3-4 years doing part time.
    Hey Benyl,

The EMBA requires much more experience then the part-time MBA. So that is not an option.

Did you do the evening or morning program? And how much "homework" is there to do?

Thanks in advance,

My Ride
    the bandwagon!

Why not just take a year off and enjoy a MBA program somewhere else?

My Ride

Originally posted by 7thgenvic
    Why not just take a year off and enjoy a MBA program somewhere else?
    Many reasons:

Marriage only a year in

Bought a new house
    ------------------------------------

I guess two reasons.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

There was no morning program when I did it (finished in April 2009).

Expect at least 20 hours / week of homework on top of class time.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by desi112

Many reasons:

Marriage only a year in

Bought a new house
    ------------------------------------

I guess two reasons.
    MBAs is a high cause of divorce... haha

My Ride

Hey Benyl thanks for the input.

Couple more questions if you would oblige.

How was the experience in a nutshell?

Were your classes at the DT campus on the main campus?

And are there exams for each course.

Again TIA>
    Last edited by desi112; 03-08-2011 at 12:21 PM.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

I know a girl taking her MBA at night. She's hot as hell, but I'm glad I'm not dating her.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    2002 e46

I am doing my Full-time MBA as we speak (Sitting in Finance class right now). I heard that the morning MBA program didn't get the numbers they were hoping for.

As of next Sept, I am switching over to part-time as I found an MBA internship. I have an elective where I am the only daytime student, and it is very hard to coordinate people. Night classes take up 3 of your nights a week, so getting together is hard when working on deliverables. The whole MBA experience is focused on working in teams, there is minimal individual work.

That being said, doing the DT morning program could be exceptionally difficult as with so much team based work, I suspect organizing deliverables would be the hardest with that program.

My Ride
    2002 e46

Originally posted by CUG
    I know a girl taking her MBA at night. She's hot as hell, but I'm glad I'm not dating her.
    Name???
    Description?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by sk8r3124

Name???
    Description?
    Pics??
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    13' IS 250AWD 09' MDX

I did the night program before there was an morning option. It was pretty intense working all day then going to class until 9:30 (i got in before the co-hort program came in)

In a nutshell...the program was decent and I basically got out of it what I put in. When I had fewer work constraints I put more effort into the MBA and vice versa. Also, you have to decide if you're going to major in anything. People that majored in the finance MBA had a lot more work to do (at least in my experience) than those doing a general MBA.

The one thing I found was that there weren't a ton of "finals. There were papers or major group projects that were always due at the end of the semsester for the majority of courses. I found the finance and accounting based courses always had a final exam.

Honestly, if you're not working then it doesn't matter what you pick. I found that people taking the night classes were easier to deal with. everyone understood that people had time constraints and weren't able to meet all the time to work on projects. I took some classes with the day program MBA's and the majority of them were pretty anal. (Had to work on their time, very competetive, etc...), but they got their shit done.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Originally posted by CUG
    cool starry bra

My Ride
    a car

I am starting the evening MBA program this September. I am sure this plus one full time job and one part time job will keep me quite busy.

My Ride

Originally posted by E90_330xi
    I did the night program before there was an morning option. It was pretty intense working all day then going to class until 9:30 (i got in before the co-hort program came in)

In a nutshell...the program was decent and I basically got out of it what I put in. When I had fewer work constraints I put more effort into the MBA and vice versa. Also, you have to decide if you're going to major in anything. People that majored in the finance MBA had a lot more work to do (at least in my experience) than those doing a general MBA.

The one thing I found was that there weren't a ton of "finals. There were papers or major group projects that were always due at the end of the semsester for the majority of courses. I found the finance and accounting based courses always had a final exam.

Honestly, if you're not working then it doesn't matter what you pick. I found that people taking the night classes were easier to deal with. everyone understood that people had time constraints and weren't able to meet all the time to work on projects. I took some classes with the day program MBA's and the majority of them were pretty anal. (Had to work on their time, very competetive, etc...), but they got their shit done.
    Hey thanks man, thats exactly what I was looking for.

Again thank sman

My Ride

Originally posted by smc
    I am starting the evening MBA program this September. I am sure this plus one full time job and one part time job will keep me quite busy.
    pmd

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by E90_330xi
    I took some classes with the day program MBA's and the majority of them were pretty anal. (Had to work on their time, very competetive, etc...), but they got their shit done.
    Very competitive is an understatement. It was like being in undergrad when I had class with day time people.

The evening people "get it." Most of the day timers (not all) are people who couldn't get a job or failed out of one. That is why they have the time to go full time.

The evening people, in general, are more mature (in mentality and age) and are doing this to supplement their career, not define it.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Originally posted by desi112
    Hey Benyl thanks for the input.

Couple more questions if you would oblige.

How was the experience in a nutshell?

Were your classes at the DT campus on the main campus?

And are there exams for each course.

Again TIA>
    Nutshell:

It was good. Good for knowledge on how business "should" work. Not necessarily how real businesses operate. I do read news differently. Critical thinking is a must. If you don't know how to do it, you might have a hard time.

Main campus.

Not all classes had a final. Many of the HR courses only had papers and a group project. Get used to working in a group.

I would also suggest you do spring/summer if you can hack it. Doing block week courses at the beginning of each semester is a great way to get things out of the way (if they still offer it).

Take Business Negotiations with Loren Falkenberg. It is easy, will help you in life and business and she is a great prof. In your papers, telling her the most obvious things is what she is looking for. It seems that it isn't obvious to everybody.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast