Quantcast
Weekly Trip: Calgary to Edmonton. Suggestions? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Trip: Calgary to Edmonton. Suggestions?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by roopi
    Well since you're willing to miss half the classes why don't you just miss them all (except the exams)? Go to the first day of class and find 2 students sitting at the front who seem to be taking good notes. Offer them each $50.00 - $100.00 week (so costing you $100-$200/week) for a photocopy/fax/email of their notes each day.

They make some easy cash and you save time travelling.

From what I remember of University I rarely attended classes and never felt like I missed much.
    True but that's in regular semester. Spring is a totally different ballgame because it's sooo condensed.

Now that I think about it some more, this is gonna cost me lol. I have to think this through.

Curse you, UofC!

I'd wait it out, but if you have to do it, I would either pay someone to record and take notes of all the lectures, or I'd just bite the bullet and live in Edmonton for the 6 weeks or however long the class is. Making that drive 2x a week is brutal.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Gadgetboy
    I'd wait it out, but if you have to do it, I would either pay someone to record and take notes of all the lectures, or I'd just bite the bullet and live in Edmonton for the 6 weeks or however long the class is. Making that drive 2x a week is brutal.
    Living in Edmonton is not an option since I have to take a class at UofC too.

I hope I can find a smart person that's willing to make extra cash for their notes.

If they say no, they shouldn't be in Economics. Then again, if I'm making this decision... Shit.

Is it just you that's doing this? Maybe carpool?

But +1 for drive your own vehicle.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I used to drive to edmonton for the weekend every weekend. I wanted to kill myself by the 2nd month. That and nearly losing my license because of those fuckers in Ponoka, tickets for going 10 over. Avoid at all costs.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Quattro A4 Avant 1.8T 5MT

i know you really want to graduate on time, but why dont you just take the spring semester off altogether and work, and then when they offer the course after the spring semester at MRU take it and your tuesday/thursday courses all at once - whats a few months anyways? id much rather delay graduation a bit than waste a ton of time/money/energy and burn yourself out...
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by Cooked Rice
    Is it just you that's doing this? Maybe carpool?

But +1 for drive your own vehicle.
    No carpool; I wish haha. I think I'll just hunt someone on Day 1 and see if they're interested in making cash while learning.

Originally posted by rage2
    I used to drive to edmonton for the weekend every weekend. I wanted to kill myself by the 2nd month. That and nearly losing my license because of those fuckers in Ponoka, tickets for going 10 over. Avoid at all costs.
    Shit. My dad always tells me to by 1km BELOW the limit whenever we pass Ponoka. Vultures.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Flying sucks. I've literally dropped friends off at the Calgary airport, only to pick them up at the Edmonton airport at the end of their flight. By the time they went through all the security/waiting/boarding/debarking/luggage crap.. it was a straight wash.

If you're stuck on flying, maybe check out Sunwest, or another small charter outfit.
    Last edited by codetrap; 03-04-2011 at 03:48 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by codetrap
    Flying sucks. I've literally dropped friends off at the Calgary airport, only to pick them up at the Edmonton airport at the end of their flight. By the time they went through all the security/waiting/boarding/debarking/luggage crap.. it was a straight wash.
    Sounds like a TG competition lol. Why didn't you just drive them?

Originally posted by tobypaddock
    i know you really want to graduate on time, but why dont you just take the spring semester off altogether and work, and then when they offer the course after the spring semester at MRU take it and your tuesday/thursday courses all at once - whats a few months anyways? id much rather delay graduation a bit than waste a ton of time/money/energy and burn yourself out...
    Well this course that I have left (ECON359, ECON385 is the UofA equivalent) is only offered next in Winter 2012. That means I won't graduate till Spring 2012 and it's not financially motivated or bank-related, etc. whatever.

I'm trying to finish on time to accomplish a personal reason.
    Last edited by flipstah; 03-04-2011 at 03:50 PM.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Have you looked into athabasca?

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by jwslam
    Have you looked into athabasca?
    Yup; no UofC equivalent and I checked UofL too.

This is starting to become off-topic for Travel haha. Maybe a mod can move this to Campus Chat, please?

My Ride
    is Invisible

Buy one of those recording devices.

Speak to the prof the first day and hopefully he will understand ur case. Have him record the lecture and then send them to you via mail(expedited). Or try an look for a recording device that could be transferred via usb onto a comp.

If he doesnt wanna do so, than talk to students in ur class and offer them some money as well on top.

Repeat until successful.

Walk-out of the exam with a smile.

Hey man, I go to UofA, and I go to Calgary at least once a month for picking up my medication.

If you need someone to tag along sometimes, Id definitely join you, and it can cut down on the gas cost =)

PM if you want to talk more.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see it was Spring class, thought you were doing this already.
    Last edited by [Yu]; 03-04-2011 at 09:23 PM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Originally posted by adidas
    Buy one of those recording devices.

Speak to the prof the first day and hopefully he will understand ur case. Have him record the lecture and then send them to you via mail(expedited). Or try an look for a recording device that could be transferred via usb onto a comp.

If he doesnt wanna do so, than talk to students in ur class and offer them some money as well on top.

Repeat until successful.

Walk-out of the exam with a smile.
    I think this is one of the last resorts. I'll just bribe college kids with monies for their notes haha.

Originally posted by [Yu]
    Hey man, I go to UofA, and I go to Calgary at least once a month for picking up my medication.

If you need someone to tag along sometimes, Id definitely join you, and it can cut down on the gas cost =)

PM if you want to talk more.

EDIT: Sorry didn't see it was Spring class, thought you were doing this already.
    Thanks for the help though! =)

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

With Greyhound you are looking at $70 bucks roundtrip (if you book in advance) w/ student discount (I know they offer one). Probably what you would spend on gas if you drove and depending what you drive.

twice a week...6 week course...approximately $900. A lot better than the price of flying IMO.

Good luck with your class
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

If it's possible, why not pay one of the kids to setup a laptop on your behalf in that class with a webcam? (if there's a wi-fi connection of course). Then also talk to the professor about the possibility of just mailing in your homework via Purolator or other couriers. That way you can just view the lecture via stream in Calgary. Then drive down for exams and what not.

First of all - I think commuting for a course is a terrible idea.

That said, the bus is most definitely the best option. Flying is going to take the same amount of time when you consider transportation to and from the airports, going through security, waiting for flights, and unexpected delays. the bus has the advantage of not having to do anything - you just show up at the bus and spend the 3 hours sitting in a seat, instead of riding in taxis, getting frisked at the airport, etc. you could at least sleep or study on the bus.

Still - this is a TERRIBLE idea. it's just a fucking credit, man... at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what class you take as long as you get your degree. it's definitely not worth the time and the stress.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

If I had to wait even just one more semester to graduate for one fucking course, I'd burn that mother down.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Exploded.

Thanks again for all your help, everyone! =D

Originally posted by Guillermo

Still - this is a TERRIBLE idea. it's just a fucking credit, man... at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter what class you take as long as you get your degree. it's definitely not worth the time and the stress.
    As msommers said, I only have one class left between me and walking the stage and if I have this option, I'm taking it. It's not the greatest one but it's my last resort.

Compounded to the fact that my associate dean's advice to my dilemma is "see you in winter 2012", it just pushes me even further to finish ASAP.

You've probably already thought of this but why not take all of your spring semester courses at UofA instead of splitting them between the two? If they are offered by the UofA I'm sure the credits would be transferable.

Also not sure if anyone still does this but there may be some flights that run into edmonton city center airport saving time and security. This may no longer be an option though.

My third and final suggestion is http://www.connectair.ca/ConnectAir/Home.html not sure on price or schedule but this avoids using the main terminals at both airports saving a huge amount of time when it comes to check in, security, and parking. Since they're relatively new they may be running discounted fares to attract business. Also if you chose this route or to fly at all rent a car, a car can be rented for cheaper then a round trip cab fare 99% of the time.
    You start with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast