Quantcast
Blinds - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Blinds

The guy that runs cocowest.ca had a terrible experience with them.

My Ride
    Two from Freemont

Quote Originally Posted by nagooro View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has anyone done their blinds through Hunter Douglas via Costco's website? How was the experience?

Will be contacting Best for Less Blinds and Mars Blinds as well.
    They just outsource to local businesses. You are likely to get better pricing if you go direct.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Here's my cost breakdown for doing every single window in my house with Lutron's Serena Shades. 20 windows total.

2 x 93"
    2 x 74"
    1 x 69"
    1 x 58"
    2 x 53"
    2 x 46"
    10 x 38"

$12,463.83 total, which includes shipping, taxes everything. No dealing with customs at all, Lutron handles all that stuff and gets you a final price in CDN$ to the door.

More details here on the DIY install: https://forums.beyond.ca/threads/397...-window-shades

I did try to go local, but nobody had time for the work. Only 1 shop got back to me (Progressive Home Automation) to come and do measurements (for $500) but that was 2 months later after I already had the blinds installed myself. I'm not a DIY'er, but I also have zero patience and hate waiting and had to take matters in my own hands. The install is easy as fuck even for someone as handyman retarded as myself. Drill 2 holes into bracket (4 for the wider ones), power drill in 2 screws, clip on, done. Anyways, a year later, they work awesome, and my house isn't ridiculously hot anymore, and it's all tied to home automation to close when I leave the house as well as at 11pm, open in the mornings in kitchen for breakfast, etc.

Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

For those that chose Hunter Douglas, did you ever regret the purchase and wish you had gone with a cheaper solution? Or vice versa, went cheap, but wish you paid more for something of better quality?

We just started shopping around - what are the popular types of blinds? Cellular? roller blinds? Any reason to choose one over the other, or is it just mostly the appearance/looks?

Will be visiting some gallerias over the weekend.

Hunter Douglas stuff is very good. I would not buy blinds from any other manufacturer. I did have one window covered with a cheap blind from Home Depot and they fell apart in a couple of years.

Levolor stuff is good too but their product line is more limited.

You can get blackout cellular blinds (there's still a little bit of light bleed around the edges), and they help keep the heat in during winter.

I like shutters myself. For these unless you're going wood Hunter Douglas is overkill. The brand they sell at Calgary Window Fashions are a great price and they're made in Canada. Also they're very easy to repair.

My Ride
    2014 J150 1UR-FE

We recently went with B & B Blinds Ltd. and I would use them again in a heartbeat. Website, Facebook Page,

They were referred to us by a friend whom has used them for both his current and previous home and his restaurants. The price was less than anything else we could find (even ordering and installing ourselves) and only took 3 weeks from order date to install.

They came for a consultation and measurement a few weeks ago, took 5-10 minutes to measure all the windows then we went through different style options, colors and pricing. Install was done in less than 30 minutes for 11 windows, they had 3 people come to install and 1 taking photo's (with our permission). Ended up choosing Vienna blinds for dining room, living room and master bedroom then thermal blackout honeycomb for everywhere else (top down and bottom up cordless).

As an FYI, they speak Cantonese and English and it is a family run shop.

Price was about 1/2 of Home Depot DYI.

My Ride
    LNF

Does anyone have any recommendations for Edmonton? I have a massive shade (hunter douglas) that is not going up in my living room. I can pull the string but it just spins and does nothing.

I am either going to have to repair or replace but it is probably 10-12 feet wide by 4-5 ft high. But it is for a window in a vaulted ceiling which is 18ft above the floor so it will be a pain to get down.

Quote Originally Posted by mzdspd View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations for Edmonton? I have a massive shade (hunter douglas) that is not going up in my living room. I can pull the string but it just spins and does nothing.

I am either going to have to repair or replace but it is probably 10-12 feet wide by 4-5 ft high. But it is for a window in a vaulted ceiling which is 18ft above the floor so it will be a pain to get down.
    I would try calling Hunter Douglas and see if they can do anything for you. Don't they have 25 year warranty or something?

Has anyone used it heard anything about Budget Blinds North Calgary? Their price seems pretty good and they come with a lifetime warranty or so they claim.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Quote Originally Posted by darthVWader View Post
    I used RGO office products.They have a window covering dept and did a great job.
    Me too. Largest blind seller in western Canada.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    *The First*

Thread summary:
    Either call a guy named Cornel at BEST FOR LESS BLINDS
    Or try online at Blinds.ca

Is this still accurate? I've gone the Hunter Douglas route and while they're great quality - I feel they are overpriced. I want an alternative.

My Ride
    2011 Ralliart SB

i would give mars blinds a call as well.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Blinds.ca was a good experience with the faux wood. Very reasonably priced too.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Ikeas motorized blinds starting at $200 a window launches in April. Full integration with your favorite home automation platforms.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    *The First*

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    Ikeas motorized blinds starting at $200 a window launches in April. Full integration with your favorite home automation platforms.
    Something to consider.
    Is your fancy setup still working good? I would have mentioned yours as an option in thread summary but $12k is double what I'm going to spend.
    Looks cool as shit though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePenIsMightier View Post
    Thread summary:

Is this still accurate? I've gone the Hunter Douglas route and while they're great quality - I feel they are overpriced. I want an alternative.
    I did not have a good experience with Best For Less. Waited months after the deposit to get the install, the install was not even, and then they possibly double charged me about a year later. YMMV.

My Ride
    *The First*

I did see that post^
    I'd take that into consideration but it looked like most others were happy.

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Thread summary:

Go to RGO. They are a commercial firm but sell to the public. You should get better pricing than retail.
    "if you disagree with my views are cannot adequately my criticism then ignore my posts." - Nusc

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Just ordered some samples from blinds.ca to check colours. Looking for blackout cellular blinds. Any thoughts on quality or price between RGO, Blinds.ca or elsewhere? Blinds.ca does have a sale on right now, which helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2015 IS350 F Sport

Thread summary:

That's because you are trying to buy blinds at retail. This is why I was saying use RGO. They are a contract commercial dealer so they don't use the same markups as a retail store. I've said this before about flooring and furniture too. You are wasting money going retail.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast