Quantcast
Obama lifts suspension on military terror trials at Guantánamo Bay - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Obama lifts suspension on military terror trials at Guantánamo Bay

My Ride
    //M

Default Obama lifts suspension on military terror trials at Guantánamo Bay

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011...-trials-resume

Barack Obama has given the green light to resume military trials of terror suspects detained at Guantánamo Bay, making a sharp departure from his election promises to close the camp and bring America's fight against terrorism back into the remit of civilian law.

The US president lifted a suspension on so-called "military commissions" which he had imposed on his first full day in the White House. By so doing, he permitted the revival of trials conducted by military officers, with a military judge presiding.

Obama also signed an executive order that moved to set into law the already existing practice on Guantánamo of holding detainees indefinitely without charge.

The president sought to sweeten the pill among civil rights and liberal groups of the resumption of two of the most widely criticised aspects of George Bush's war on terror by emphasising that he still wished to see Guantánamo close. When he came into office in January 2009, he repeatedly promised to have the campclosed within one year. It was set up in the wake of 9/11 in 2001 and thereafter the war in Afghanistan.

As another sweetener, he also defied Republican opposition and said he would continue to allow terror suspects to be tried in federal civilian courts, known as Article III courts, on the US mainland. "I strongly believe that the American system of justice is a key part of our arsenal in the war against al-Qaida and its affiliates. We will continue to draw on all aspects of our justice system including Article III courts to ensure that our security and our values are strengthened," he said.

But civil rights groups condemned what they saw as a decision that flew in the face of the president's earlier promises to close the camp. "The irony could not be more pronounced," said Wells Dixon, a lawyer with the Centre for Constitutional Rights (CCR).

"He came into office saying it was one of his national security priorities to close Guantánamo, yet he has now become one of the first presidents to codify a policy of indefinite detention."

Critics see the resumption of the military trials as confirmation that Guantánamo will be closing no time soon. Under the executive orders allowing detention without charge, there is an in-built review process that allows cases to be reconsidered after the first year and then every four years thereafter.

CCR said that was in itself a tacit admission that Guantánamo would remain a place of extra-judicial detention.

Dixon said that the four-year reviews were also, in legal terms, strikingly similar to the so-called combatant status review tribunals set up by the Bush administration in 2005 and struck down by the supreme court as essentially unconstitutional in 2008.

"This is creating a bureaucratic morass that will achieve nothing legally but will ensure Guantánamo remains open," he said.

Some relatives of victims of the September 2001 attacks said that they were also disappointed by the resumption of military trials. Colleen Kelly, whose brother Bill Kelly Jr died in the Twin Towers on 9/11, said that she knew all too well how important it was to protect all people, not just Americans, from the threat of terrorism.

"There are some seriously dangerous people being held in Guantánamo Bay, I think the world understands that.

"But I think there's also a huge opportunity here being missed to show the world that not only does the US talk the talk, we walk the walk also." She said that the past nine years since 9/11 showed that the criminal system of justice had proven to be fully robust enough to deal with difficult terrorism cases. "There have been more than 170 successful anti-terror prosecutions in civilian courts since 9/11, which to me suggests they work."

Some 172 detainees remain in Guantánamo, of whom fewer than 40 have been earmarked for trial in either criminal courts or military commissions.

Before the military commissions were suspended by Obama, only a handful of cases were ever fully processed under them. Most of them involved guilty pleas, such as that of the Australian David Hicks who was returned to Australia after his conviction.

Salim Ahmed Hamdan, Osama bin Laden's driver, was convicted by military tribunal in 2008 and was returned later that year to Yemen to serve the remainder of his five-and-a-half-year sentence.

It is not yet clear how cases will be decided in terms of whether they should be heard in a civilian or military setting. The issue has become a political hot potato, with Republicans strenuously opposing the transfer of terror suspects to criminal courts on US soil.

The revival of the military commissions is likely to stoke speculation surrounding Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the suspected principal architect of 9/11. The Obama administration had announced that he would go on trial in a criminal court in New York, but the move provoked a storm of protests from across the political spectrum.

Other possible candidates for a military trial include Abd al-Rahim al Nashiri, the alleged mastermind of the 2000 attack on the USS Cole warship in which 17 American sailors were killed.

EDIT:
    Obama sees the light and realizes that the only effective way to fight terrorism is to use military tribunals, civilian ones are ineffective at best. Congrats to him and Robert Gates. My approval of Obama soars again!
    Last edited by 911fever; 03-07-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Default Re: Obama lifts suspension on military terror trials at Guantánamo Bay

Originally posted by 911fever
    My approval of Obama soars again!

There have been more than 170 successful anti-terror prosecutions in civilian courts since 9/11

Before the military commissions were suspended by Obama, only a handful of cases were ever fully processed under them. Most of them involved guilty pleas.

Originally posted by 911fever
    Obama sees the light and realizes that the only effective way to fight terrorism is to use military tribunals, civilian ones are ineffective at best. Congrats to him and Robert Gates.
    I'm struggling to see how you came to your conclusion. The article seems to clearly state otherwise. I know you aren't being sarcastic, because everyone knows you love Obamma.
    Last edited by broken_legs; 03-07-2011 at 07:55 PM.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    G37S

Obama also signed an executive order that moved to set into law the already existing practice on Guantánamo of holding detainees indefinitely without charge.

So... guilty until proven otherwise?

My Ride
    CRF 250L

Originally posted by ReflexFX

So... guilty until proven otherwise?
    NO No.

You got it all wrong man, democracy, freedom and human rights only go to countries with oil, and only if the said country is not friends with the USA.
    TRUTH: it's the new hate speech.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act. - Orwell

My Ride
    Bicycle

Obama is setting himself up to be 1 term president. Logistically, it's probably true that nobody want these detainees. But he keep backing out from promises. Change my ass, it's more of the same.

The only way Republicans lose against Obama is if the keep feeding the trolls of the fringe. Come back to the middle and Obama is history.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    Obama is setting himself up to be 1 term president. Logistically, it's probably true that nobody want these detainees. But he keep backing out from promises. Change my ass, it's more of the same.

The only way Republicans lose against Obama is if the keep feeding the trolls of the fringe. Come back to the middle and Obama is history.
    "Now it's REALLY time for a change!"

Obama 2012 Presidential slogan

Default Re: Re: Obama lifts suspension on military terror trials at Guantánamo Bay

Originally posted by broken_legs

I'm struggling to see how you came to your conclusion
    dont stress too much, a logical mind will not be able to understand his thought process