Quantcast
U of C Geology program or SAIT Petroleum Engineering Tech Program? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U of C Geology program or SAIT Petroleum Engineering Tech Program?

Default U of C Geology program or SAIT Petroleum Engineering Tech Program?

Hi, anyone out there who can provide some insight on whether I should go for the U of C Geology program or SAIT Petroleum Engineer Tech diploma program?

Both of the programs are 2 yrs for me cause i have transfers from my previous bachelors degree. I am looking to enter the O&G industry, which i do not mind either positions as an Engine tech or a Geologist.

Just wondering which route would lead one to a job easier after 2 yrs of studies and which has a better earning potential in the first couple of years and or later.

I guess its a very subjective thing to advise but just would like to hear from those experienced in this areas or those with these degree or diploma.

Would really appreciate any perspective on these 2.

Thanks

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

Easier to get a job with SAIT but your job options will be much more flexible with a true university degree.

Sait diploma is two years either way. I'd go for the degree if it indeed is only 2 more years... It'll just open up a lot more doors for you in the future

My Ride
    Evo, civic

my friend is taking petroleum at sait and he has 9 midterms every semester so if you decide to go for petroleum it would be lots of work so heads up lol

My Ride
    STi

Most degrees require work, unless you're taking communication studies or something like that. Shouldn't be afraid of putting in some hard work. If you only require 2 years for either of them, I'd personally go with the degree. Your options are usually more restricted when it comes to diplomas.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Are you basically asking if you should be a geologist or an eng tech? That isn't for us to decide, those are completely different jobs!
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Supercharged Cold Air Vespa 200 Turbo

Geologists can make a killing, but they are also the first in front of the firing squad in a downturn. From what I have heard technologists experience a ceiling as far as pay goes, but can move into other O&G functions and become managers ect. just the same. Either is a good way to enter the industry, but do what you enjoy more because it will be hard to succeed if you hate your life every day.
    1990 R32 GTS-T (Project) Build Thread
    1999 Prelude SH - Ghetto Turbo Build Thread
    2001 Acura EL (Vandalized - Write Off)
    2000 Prelude (Rear End - Write off)
    1994 WRX GC8 (Sold)
    1991 R32 GTR (Sold)
    2004 Altima 3.5SE (Sold)
    1995 Civic Si (Sold)

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Geologist > anything sait can provide.

more money, more power, more respect

money power respect all you need in life.

My Ride
    FB6

There have also been threads in the past which say the Petroleum Eng Techs have the hardest time finding jobs.

Petroluem Eng Techs really only work for producers, where you'll be competing with Petroleum, Mechanical, and Chemical Engineers with degrees and mostly likely summer/co-op/intern experience. It's usually one of the most sought after jobs for new grad engineers.

Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Eng Techs are the ones that can find jobs easier because there are WAY more EPCM companies out there than there are producers.

A petroleum eng tech really has no place in an EPCM company. (regarding to related courses, of course they can adapt to project management, etc, but that's not my point)

Originally posted by realazy
    There have also been threads in the past which say the Petroleum Eng Techs have the hardest time finding jobs.

Petroluem Eng Techs really only work for producers, where you'll be competing with Petroleum, Mechanical, and Chemical Engineers with degrees and mostly likely summer/co-op/intern experience. It's usually one of the most sought after jobs for new grad engineers.

Mechanical, Electrical, or Chemical Eng Techs are the ones that can find jobs easier because there are WAY more EPCM companies out there than there are producers.

A petroleum eng tech really has no place in an EPCM company. (regarding to related courses, of course they can adapt to project management, etc, but that's not my point)
    Are u saying graduates in Petroleum Engine Tech have difficulties finding jobs after graduation? It seems that the graduation employment data seems to show that employment rates are pretty high and also median pay scales range the highest of the all the eng tech programs.

I know, any degree or Diploma program requires lots of work, which i am accustomed to. I am just wondering which is a better route and easier way to land a job upon graduation. I am actually changing career, and i already have a degree in Finance and Applied Statistics. I just want an OK paying job, annual pay from 60 to 80K is sufficient.

I just want to know which route is a better route to take, cause i dont mind being a geologist or a petroleum engineer tech, as long as i can get a job easily upon graduation.

I am contemplating cause i have heard and read of geologist majors from U of C trying hard to land a job upon graduation while i have not heard of any SAIT graduates struggling to find a job upong graduation.

My Ride
    MB E420, Honda Civic DX-G

Why is everyone making this so complicated.

A petroleum Eng Tech is exactly what the title says a Tech.

A Geologist is a Geologist, not a Tech.
    (not tech bashing please)

Just saying, if you have the option, I would definitely recommend the path of a Geologist.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I can tell you personally that we (UofC geologists) are having a hard time landing the jobs we want. Wellsite is always an option, as is graduate school, mining camps, field assistants etc however if you're looking for office work downtown it really is a struggle.

No clue about eng techs. I know when the boom was happening, a lot of techs had to put in little no effort to find a job. Hell, that was the case with almost everyone. Now, I'd guess it's getting difficult.

I believe SAIT offers a geology tech program.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    I can tell you personally that we (UofC geologists) are having a hard time landing the jobs we want. Wellsite is always an option, as is graduate school, mining camps, field assistants etc however if you're looking for office work downtown it really is a struggle.

No clue about eng techs. I know when the boom was happening, a lot of techs had to put in little no effort to find a job. Hell, that was the case with almost everyone. Now, I'd guess it's getting difficult.

I believe SAIT offers a geology tech program.
    Hi Thanks man for yr valuable insight.

Are u a U of C geology graduate? Just wondering how long did u get a job upon graduation and what kind of jobs most U of C geology grads land in.

Yes, SAIT did have a geology tech program sometime back but only NAIT offers it now. The petroleum tech program also covers quite a bit of geology courses but more specifically catered to the petroleum industry.

If its true that landing a job is easier to be a tech, then i wouldnt mind taking the tech program. i dont really care about the degree if it doesnt add value to finding a job upon graduation in 2 yrs time. Anyhow, i already have degrees under my belt.

My Ride
    FB6

Have you looked at job postings recently? I'd be surpised if you find many postings for a new grad petroleum eng tech.

There used to be a place for petroleum eng techs in producers, heck, a lot of the older people in my group now are techs. Things have changed though, now almost all new grads in upstream producers have degrees.

Like you said, the petroleum tech program covers mainly on geology, production, reservoir, etc. All of these are really only useful at a producer.

Geologists are also having a hard time finding postions, most geologists I know have a masters degree, which almost seems like a prereq nowadays.

Either way, competition for new grad office jobs in Calgary is always tough.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by zeus247

Hi Thanks man for yr valuable insight.

Are u a U of C geology graduate? Just wondering how long did u get a job upon graduation and what kind of jobs most U of C geology grads land in.
    I'll be graduating in the spring here. I've worked for Natural Resources Canada (government/public) for ~4 years and an 8-month term at a mid-size O&G company over the summer and fall. I'd very likely be back at the O&G company as they were quite pleased with me however because of gas prices, multiple geologists got pulled off of gas projects and shuffled around which essentially took my job - such is life. They don't have the budget to hire new grads and provide training . Had my resume and cover letter reviewed multiple times by professionals and they all said it checked out quite well. Wellsite and doing a research project with the government are options but not my preferences. I've applied to quite a few places and haven't heard anything. I'll be applying more now as the pressure of not having anything yet is getting to me.

That said, I know a few people who had work terms at O&G companies who got taken back. So it's not like there isn't anything out there, it's just tough. Even moreso if you don't have any experience or an 'in'.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-09-2011 at 12:44 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

I know 3 university geologists who have been looking for jobs for over a year, and know many sait "engineers", none of who are currently unemployed

Originally posted by turbotrip
    I know 3 university geologists who have been looking for jobs for over a year, and know many sait "engineers", none of who are currently unemployed
    yes but once those geologists get jobs, their pay will make up for the time off, plus they have the ability to attend grad school...become professional geoscientists etc.
    Originally posted by theken
    Off duty cop means not a cop. At that time he is a normal person.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Yes. Just like a ninja in street clothes isn't a ninja.

i have noticed that many geo-science jobs these days require more than just a bachelors, most require a Masters, especially for those jobs in the US. I dont intend to further my studies anymore after a Diploma, at most, finish the SAIT diploma and then work for a couple of yrs and transfer to those US unis that allow the transfers and then complete the bachelors, only if needed. I am not asking for mighty high salary, i am just seeking annual pay of 60 to 100K, which seems its achievable after 2 to 4 yrs of technologist experience in the O&G industry, so i will lean towards the SAIT program instead of the geology program cause there are simply too many geology bachelors grads who are unemployed. I do know that geologist can make more money than technologist or even engineers, but that is totally useless if u cant even land a job to acquire the experience u need to achieve that kind of level if u are not granted the opportunity. Pay-out eventally will even out unless u are bent on taking a masters in geology, which i dont think i am.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Originally posted by zeus247
    I dont intend to further my studies anymore after a Diploma...I am not asking for mighty high salary, i am just seeking annual pay of 60 to 100K, which seems its achievable after 2 to 4 yrs of technologist experience in the O&G industry
    Umm...

Anyways, VERY FEW companies would require you to have a Masters. Shell and Imperial are the only ones that strongly favor those with one and even then I'm not sure it's technically required.

The sad part is, from my understanding, much of our undergrad programs in Canada with a thesis is more or less equivalent of doing a Masters elsewhere however no one will recognize that. Such is life.

Evaluate what you want to do with your life and figure out the rest later. Academic registration for programs is behind industry demand by something like 2 years, so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-16-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    Ultracrepidarian

After a quick scan of the SAIT job board there are 52 positions posted related to "engineering". I would say ~50% are for civil engineering, ~20% for electrical, ~10% geomatics and the rest split up between mechanical and petroleum.

There were very few jobs requesting a petroleum engineering diploma.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast