Quantcast
Commerce concentration advice - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Commerce concentration advice

Default Commerce concentration advice

I'm in my 4th year at u of c at Haskayne. I'm still undecided about my major. I'm thinking about Energy Managment or just do General Mgmt.

Energy mgmt I haven't really heard about the program, all I know is that the avg salaries are just as high as what finance major just over $50,000/yr. General Management I haven't heard anything about it.

I have taken all the 317s and nothing really appeals to me (maybe mktg ) I know that an Accounting degree gets you a job within a few months of graduating but I can't stand acct. My folks always tell me its always better to suffer now and reap the benefits in the future.

I have been going around in circles thinking about all this.. Please I need some advice or tips.

My Ride
    Honda

If you plan to work in Alberta, Energy Management > General Management.

I graduated last year with Energy Management, if you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Not sure when you are hoping to finish up, it will take you another year to get the Energy Management degree, the required courses all only have one section offered as it is a small concentration. The courses are not overly hard, but then again I also found most of it interesting so it helps when learning.

There are definitely jobs out there for Energy Management students, and I found it helped in interviews and now in my work to have the background knowledge that the program offered.

Salary isn't everything, I wouldn't go into accounting just because you think you can find a job a bit quicker and the salary might be a bit more appealing, to me it's a lot more important to try and find something that interests you and you won't hate.

Originally posted by cjab
    I graduated last year with Energy Management, if you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

Not sure when you are hoping to finish up, it will take you another year to get the Energy Management degree, the required courses all only have one section offered as it is a small concentration. The courses are not overly hard, but then again I also found most of it interesting so it helps when learning.

There are definitely jobs out there for Energy Management students, and I found it helped in interviews and now in my work to have the background knowledge that the program offered.

Salary isn't everything, I wouldn't go into accounting just because you think you can find a job a bit quicker and the salary might be a bit more appealing, to me it's a lot more important to try and find something that interests you and you won't hate.
    May i ask what it is you do? I'm in Energy Management also!

I knew someone in energy management that ended up working a non-technical (well there was a bit of SQL) IT role.

An Analyst role for natural gas trading. If you've taken ENMG 385 (I believe that's the course #) it's very similar to some of the stuff covered in that course.

Originally posted by cjab
    An Analyst role for natural gas trading. If you've taken ENMG 385 (I believe that's the course #) it's very similar to some of the stuff covered in that course.