Quantcast
Police to investigate Chara hit. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Police to investigate Chara hit.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Default Police to investigate Chara hit.

Holy crap!! Really?

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

CTV.ca News Staff

Montreal police have announced they will investigate a devastating hit that sent Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty to hospital with a cracked vertebra, as public outcry over the incident continues to grow.

The police force confirmed Thursday that it has launched a criminal probe at the behest of Quebec's director of criminal and penal prosecutions, Louis Dionne.

"Like all police investigations, evidence will be gathered and an investigation report will be submitted (to the DCPP)," Dionne's spokesperson Martine Berube said Thursday.

"(The DCPP) will then evaluate to see whether there's grounds for prosecution."

When asked what kind of punishment might result from the case, Berube said it was too soon to say.

"That would depend on what charges are laid. That's a little difficult to predict at this point."

Pacioretty remains in hospital recovering from a severe concussion and a fractured vertebra he suffered in a hit by Boston bruins captain Zdeno Chara on Tuesday evening.

During a news conference on Thursday afternoon, Prime Minister Stephen Harper urged the NHL to deal with the growing number of serious injuries in the league.

"I want to express sympathy to Mr. Pacioretty, his family, his teammates," Harper told reporters, adding that he hopes to see the 22-year-old "have a full recovery and get back on the ice.

"I think we're all concerned, and I hope the league is concerned, about the number of very serious injuries we've seen in recent times -- and I do think that is something that they're going to have to address."

The QMI news agency also reported Thursday that Air Canada has sent a letter to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman saying that it does not want to associate its brand "with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents; action must be taken by the NHL before we are encountered with a fatality."

The company's letter adds: "…from a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents."

Bettman responded Thursday by saying that Pacioretty's injury is horrific, it's part of the game.

"Our hockey operations people are extraordinarily comfortable with the decision that they made," Bettman said. "It was a horrific injury, we're sorry that it happened in our fast-paced physical game, but I don't think whether or not supplemental discipline was imposed would change what happened."

Bettman also said the league can replace any sponsors that pull out.

On Wednesday, NHL senior vice-president Mike Murphy said Chara will face no further league discipline for the hit, which he called "a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface."

He added, "I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

Chara was given a penalty for interference and a game misconduct.

Gary Lunn, the federal minister responsible for sport, has said the league should take action following Chara's hit and put out a clear message that it was unacceptable.

Police in Montreal have had to ask Canadiens fans to stop calling to file complaints against Chara. Police said their emergency lines started getting flooded shortly after the league announced there would be no suspension.

Pacioretty says he's "disgusted" that the NHL didn't suspend Chara for the hit.

"I am upset and disgusted that the league didn't think enough of (the hit) to suspend him," Pacioretty told TSN's Bob McKenzie Wednesday.

"I'm not mad for myself. I'm mad because if other players see a hit like that and think it's okay, they won't be suspended, then other players will get hurt like I got hurt."

"It's been an emotional day. I saw the video for the first time this morning. You see the hit, I've got a fractured vertebra, I'm in hospital and I thought the league would do something, a little something. I'm not talking a big number, I don't know, one game, two games, three games... whatever, but something to show that it's not right."

Dr. Blaine Hoshizaki, an expert in sport concussions at the Neurotrauma Impact Laboratory at the University of Ottawa, says while he doesn't know the details of the injury, there is a very real possibility that Pacioretty will never play for the NHL again.

"Not only the fractured vertebra, but also the severe concussion -- both can be career-ending injuries," he told CTV's Canada AM from Ottawa Thursday.

"Any time you damage the vertebrae, it's a serious injury. Fortunately, it's not displaced, which is very important because often these injuries can be resolved. However, it really depends on the type of fracture that occurred."

Hoshizaki notes that injuries such as this one are not altogether common, but nor is this an isolated case in hockey, since hits are an integral part of the game.

"It doesn't really matter if the hit was illegal or not illegal. The question that has to be asked is: is that risk that is part of the game reasonable for anyone who wants to play hockey to have to accept that sort of injury risk?"

Harper said it may not be up to politicians to deal with the problem at the professional level. Instead, federal officials may "take action" to deal with what Harper said is a growing number of serious injuries in children's sports.

"You are seeing a growing number of head and brain injuries in sports competitions at the child and amateur level, and this is something that we are looking to address," he said.

With files from The Canadian Press
    Last edited by Kennyredline; 03-10-2011 at 01:47 PM.

My Ride
    jdm b18c

wow
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    18 Model S, 20 Macan S, 67 Camaro & 11 SLS

If he wasn't french, they wouldn't have investigated... fucking Quebecois.

But on a serious note... there was nothing wrong with the hit, it just happened to be in a bad spot. I don't think Chara meant to do that, he just happened to be doing what he's paid to do, but the glass started where the check ended. Maybe they should look at making the rinks safer?

Default Re: Police to investigate Chara hit.

Originally posted by Kennyredline
    Holy crap!! Really?

[url]
    Police in Montreal have had to ask Canadiens fans to stop calling to file complaints against Chara. Police said their emergency lines started getting flooded shortly after the league announced there would be no suspension.

Who does this?

My Ride
    2005 F350

this is fucken rediculous.

the NHL should just move the Montreal Canadiens and never have to deal with the retarded Quebecois again.
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

NHL needs to angle the glass at that location. Easy fix that would eliminate major injuries but huge to those that called 911 because of this.
    ---

My Ride
    DA6, R59

WOW... That has gone a little too far IMO. I agree with Pacioretty that there should be a suspension but thats where it should end. Hitting is apart of the game and yes if you want to play hockey, you have to be prepared to get hit. What's next, no physical contact in any professional sport or better yet so the teams dont suffer from emotional trauma lets take out scoring while were at it..

/rant

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Wow. Even if you think the hit was dirty (which it wasn't), does it *really* need to involve police? Seriously....

My Ride
    (maah raahde)

No you idiots! The Onion News is fake! Oh wait...

My Ride
    Red with stripes and a shitbox truck

Default Re: Police to investigate Chara hit.

Originally posted by Kennyredline
    Holy crap!! Really?

"Yes? Yes Allo? Is dis da police? Yes, I wanna see that monster Chara in jail! TABARNAC!!"

Nothing wrong with the hit. Chara's just a beast. This kinda shit happens in the NHL. Quit your bitching Frenchies.

Fucking Quebec, I have a hard time believing any of this would be happening if it was a Bruin laying on the ice. What was Chara supposed to do? Let him skate by?
    Michael Scott: "Do I want to be feared or loved? Um... easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."

My Ride
    Sentra spec5-T

They say there are investigating just to shut up all the stupid habs fans, no way he'll be convicted of anything.

I'm surprised they are not investigating the shit-kicking they took during the winter classic.

Clean hit, agree with the angled glass at that point. I actually brought that up on after hours right after Edmonton game years ago with the same sort of hit.

My Ride
    RSX Type-S, 335i Coupe

Somebody please tell me that Boston is playing in Montreal again before the end of the season

My Ride
    an old black cab

March 24 Boston will hosts the frenchies

My Ride
    2016 Golf R

Wow this is nuts, who calls the police over a hit?! hahahaha

The hit was clean. Just wrong place at the right time. He had no intent to hurt the guy. I do agree they need to angle the glass there.
    Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Wait. Tom, THE Tom?
    Originally posted by Rusted Bumper
    As far as I can tell, tom_9109 has the most detailed and correct answer

Mr. Molson just gave a public statement on behalf of the team basically calling the hit violent. I'm pretty sick of people using this as a catalyst when at least a dozen worse hits exist.

My Ride
    2003 VW Jetta 1.8T Wolfsburg

Lots of people are pissed off at this though....Chara should be suspended, to at least quell a friggin' riot!

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityne...over-chara-hit

The NHL’s decision not to penalize the Boston Bruins Zdeno Chara for his hit on the Montreal Canadiens Max Pacioretty could end up costing big bucks.

The player was released from hospital on Thursday, two days after Chara knocked Pacioretty into the glass partition between the benches during a game. Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and a non-displaced fracture to the fourth cervical vertebra in his neck after the hit.

Air Canada, one of the league’s biggest sponsors, has sent a letter to the NHL threatening to withdraw its financial support if it doesn’t immediately crack down on violent headshots.

The letter was sent from Denis Vandal, the airline’s director of marketing/communication, and states that “from a corporate social responsibility standpoint, it is becoming increasingly difficult to associate our brand with sports events which could lead to serious and irresponsible accidents.”

Another major player in Canadian hockey, Tim Hortons, is also weighing in on hockey head injuries.

"From the youngest Timbit players to the old-timers’ recreational leagues, hockey is a wonderful team sport, with a special connection to communities in Canada and the U.S. Tim Hortons encourages the NHL, the teams and general managers and the NHL Players Association to continue to work towards addressing concerns with head injuries," the company said in a statement Thursday.

Meanwhile, Quebec's Director of Criminal and Penal Prosecutions requested a police investigation into the hit Thursday morning.

The agency has sent its recommendation to the Quebec Public Security department.

However the request doesn’t guarantee an investigation will occur.

The hit has once again re-ignited the debate over violence and headshots in the NHL.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper spoke out about violence in hockey on Thursday, saying the league needs to take a serious look at the issue "for its own sake," but would not comment on the Chara hit. Sudbury NDP MP Glenn Thibeault has asked the Conservative government to support a bill to reduce concussions and serious injuries in amateur sport.

Within the NHL, many of Paciorretty’s teammates are also speaking out.

''Looking at the replay, it looked pretty blatantly obvious what was trying to be done there,'' said Montreal goaltender Carey Price ''It's pretty sad to see someone take someone's life into their hands like that.''

"What I remember about it was the sound — it sounded like a gun: bang!" said Pacioretty's linemate Scott Gomez. "Stuff like that is tough to look at."

However, both Chara and league officials are holding firm in their assessment of the hit.

"I feel bad about what happened," Chara said. "I was trying to make a strong hockey play and play hard and it's very unfortunate, like I said, that a player got hurt and had to leave the game."

"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly — with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards,” said NHL senior vice-president Mike Murphy.

Pacioretty remains in the hospital. He has said he is upset with the league’s decision because he doesn’t want other players to get hurt.

With files from The Canadian Press

My Ride
    2018 Lexus IS350 AWD F-Sport 3

lol at people saying this was a clean hit.

Dude got a 5 minute major for interference. If it was a "clean" hit there wouldnt have been a penalty issued.

Couple things to go with my point:

The "wrong place" argument isn't really valid.
    I could say the same thing for a hit from behind. Well if it happend in the middle of the ice his face wouldnt have hit the boards, i guess he was in the wrong place

Chara has played in Montreal numerous times, knows exactly where he is, knows exactly the kind of damage going into the turnbuckle can cause, and gave him an extra shove to get him there

and yes there are tons of other hits out there that are worse, but you have to go on what the NHL has done in the past...

he broke his neck, on a play where a 5 minute major was called, that should result in some sort of suspension

avery was suspended for 9 games for hurting dion phaneufs feelings.......

Pacioretty may have just ended his carreer, he is an RFA at the end of the year, meaning he doesn't have a contract lined up for next year, who is going to take a chance on signing a guy in 4 months who recently broke his neck, dudes hockey future is completely up in the air,

Chara should have been suspended for at least a couple games.
    These opinions are entirely my own and do not represent any other person or organization.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast