Quantcast
Distracted LRT driver - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Distracted LRT driver

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

Originally posted by G-ZUS

And then Markham will plagiarize it

But on a serious note, that's bullshit really. One day, a life would be taken and how would any of us know some fatass wasn't doing a Sudoku that day?

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by Disoblige

But on a serious note, that's bullshit really. One day, a life would be taken and how would any of us know some fatass wasn't doing a Sudoku that day?
    Exactly. And Calgary transit would issue a warning to pedestrians to pay attention.

Originally posted by Tomaz

At least he cant swerve into the next lane. lol

That's fucked up. I can understand taking a sip of a drink, but my god, you might need to stop one day.
    Haha true, there is a bit less to worry about on tracks, but they still need to be attentive.

This is just a single example of many as to why our transit system has absolutely no redeeming qualities, and so desperately needs a complete overhaul. That doesn't stop prices from rising each year though.

And for anyone wondering, yes, that dial is definitely the speedo. I used to watch train drivers all the time when I used transit.

I also think they are paid quite a bit of money to move that little throttle stick forward and backward (like $30ish/hr if I recall). The least they can do is look where they're going when pulling 600 people around.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-10-2011 at 04:32 PM.

Originally posted by frizzlefry

Exactly. And Calgary transit would issue a warning to pedestrians to pay attention.
    Whether he's paying attention or not wouldn't make a difference. Trains don't stop for retarded pedestrians even if the drivers see them. They could risk injuring dozens of people on the train or running over the one douche who wasn't paying attention. In most situations drivers don't have enough notice to stop even if they area paying attention.

I'm not saying that what this guy's doing is okay, just that in most situations it doesn't make a difference.

Originally posted by tha_bandit

apply to CSIS bahaha
    Nah, if you work for CSIS you'd just need to ask the technical assistant to:

Enhance! Zoom in. Enhance. Zoom in. Zoom in. Zoom in.

Bam, got the drivers face reflected off the chrome nut holding the wiper blade to the wiper arm.
    ---

My Ride
    Has four wheels

Originally posted by Mibz
    Gauge in the middle looks like a speedo, though I have no way of knowing for sure.
    Yeah, the gauge in the middle (just below the "2039 B" sticker) is the speedo, I know that for a fact. It looks like its around the 50K mark, but I don't know for sure. Either way, the train is moving. You can see the throttle lever under his left hand too.

There's also that horizontal bar below the three white buttons on the right side of the panel. Its a grey metal bar that I've seen LRT operators holding before. From what I know about trains, there's often a button or a lever that the driver has to press/hold every so often to prove to the train's computer that he's awake. If he's not holding that lever for a certain amount of time, the train hits the emergency brakes and stops itself.

Usually when I'm on the train and if I decide to watch the driver through the window for a few seconds (if I'm bored lol), they will nearly always be holding that bar on the right side of the instrument panel. I guess he took his hand off it for a few seconds to do his crossword, and planned to pause the puzzle when the train started beeping at him. Either way, this needs to go to Calgary Transit (heck, the media too) ASAP. There was a story on CTV.ca a couple of weeks ago about Toronto bus drivers texting and driving too.

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Originally posted by Stealth22

Yeah, the gauge in the middle (just below the "2039 B" sticker) is the speedo, I know that for a fact. It looks like its around the 50K mark, but I don't know for sure. Either way, the train is moving. You can see the throttle lever under his left hand too.

There's also that horizontal bar below the three white buttons on the right side of the panel. Its a grey metal bar that I've seen LRT operators holding before. From what I know about trains, there's often a button or a lever that the driver has to press/hold every so often to prove to the train's computer that he's awake. If he's not holding that lever for a certain amount of time, the train hits the emergency brakes and stops itself.

Usually when I'm on the train and if I decide to watch the driver through the window for a few seconds (if I'm bored lol), they will nearly always be holding that bar on the right side of the instrument panel. I guess he took his hand off it for a few seconds to do his crossword, and planned to pause the puzzle when the train started beeping at him. Either way, this needs to go to Calgary Transit (heck, the media too) ASAP. There was a story on CTV.ca a couple of weeks ago about Toronto bus drivers texting and driving too.
    There is also a deadman's pedal that they must always rest their foot against to keep the train in motion. I've seen it as well.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by Stealth22

Not the same video, but same context.

Calgary Transit not convinced train was moving, even though the photographer says it was, the speedo indicates it is and the throttle position is at least half way up.

GPS data also sent to the Calgary sun (geo tagged photos im assuming).

Will the union save this driver? :P

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/colum.../17571781.html
    ---

Default Re: Distracted LRT driver

Originally posted by kenny

Picture from http://d.pr/kQSe (Nick Heer, a beyonder I think)
    Stalker

I guess they're just erring on the side of caution for now. I swear I wasn't moving the camera. Dial in the middle is the speedo and it's at about 30 km/h.

Last edited by nich148_9; 03-10-2011 at 06:03 PM.

that'll be the last calgary transit mentions this subjest.
    he'll get off.
    2011 Chevy Colorado Z71 - 5.3L LH9 - Daily driver
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Originally posted by broken_legs
    Perfect examples of why public unions are the scourge of the Earth.
    While today's Unions are a shadow of what they were(now they are mostly corporate)...you owe your whole way of life to those folks who bled and died for workers rights! The middle class would not be what it is and quality of life would be much lower with out them!

Woah there chief. Incidents of a guy doing something unsafe can occur with or without a union. Right now, Transit's official word is that they're making sure the train was moving and that the photo is legit. I happen to know it is, but that's only because I was there.

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    looks to me like the camera was moving, not the train.
    This poster demonstrates the need to ensure the train was actually moving. I'm sure they've identified the driver and aren't letting him drive until they've confirmed whether or not the photo is legit. That's fair.

My Ride
    soopra

I dont see it as a huge like all you guys are taking it, a train is on tracks which doesnt veer, or make sudden turns lol. you arent looking at a crossword the whole time, you gotta look around and think until the word just comes to you.. haha
    id rather be on this train while this guys doin this, than on the road beside most of you who text that fail at it and swerve and all that, whats the difference?

camera wasn't exactly still.
    -the dash seems pretty clear, but the operators shoulder is out of focus/moving, the smear is up and down. where as the smear of the railroad ties is considerably left to right.
    -the throttle is pushed forward
    -and the speedo says the train is moving.
    -witness on the train (photographer)
    conclusion: hard to deny the train is moving.

only thing that could only add more verification is more witnesses. window shows a reflection of someones feet. someone wearing converse shoes was there.

OP's transit receipt could verify the GPS stamp with time of issue.
    (would be hard to deny transit issued proof)
    Last edited by syritis; 03-10-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

at 3pm during the sun is to the south southwest and lower to the horizon.
    shadows are moving across the dash so i'd presume the train is going southeast.
    i'm sure calgary transit could verify the OP's story by checking if the 2039b train was headed southbound between the SAIT and sunnyside stations at 3:18:20pm and that the driver was a fat ass wearing glasses.
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

Originally posted by Mibz
    Whether he's paying attention or not wouldn't make a difference. Trains don't stop for retarded pedestrians even if the drivers see them. They could risk injuring dozens of people on the train or running over the one douche who wasn't paying attention. In most situations drivers don't have enough notice to stop even if they area paying attention.

I'm not saying that what this guy's doing is okay, just that in most situations it doesn't make a difference.
    but if there is a car on the tracks going into downtown I'm sure and alert driver would get on a brakes pretty quick cuz having a car wedge between the train and a couple poles is going to stop the train a lot faster then the brakes. or another train in the way. or a mechanical problem with the train.

if you watch mayday on discovery channels a lot of train accidents are caused by distracted drivers.
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

My Ride
    //M

wow this is the first thing I think I've ever agreed on with you
    Destroying anti-US trolls and idiots like broken_legs since 2009.
    Dallas, Texas

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by nich148_9
    Woah there chief. Incidents of a guy doing something unsafe can occur with or without a union. Right now, Transit's official word is that they're making sure the train was moving and that the photo is legit. I happen to know it is, but that's only because I was there.
    While that is true, Union shop usually get away with it while other shop would mean dismissal on the spot. Which means eventually worker doesn't care as long as you don't get caught too often violating standards.

Originally posted by Xtrema

While that is true, Union shop usually get away with it while other shop would mean dismissal on the spot. Which means eventually worker doesn't care as long as you don't get caught too often violating standards.
    i work in a union shop. this is very true.
    2003 Mazda B4000 on 35s

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast