Quantcast
looking for computer networking job - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: looking for computer networking job

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

Default looking for computer networking job

looking for a entry level computer networking job... i got experience in windows 2000 networking... got a diploma from cdi college for internet network specialiest...

ive been out for a year now and still looking for steady work... i know how to setup a windows 2000 server with active directory and got experience with novell and linux/unix

i dont have any mcse or a+ certification but i have like 4 years experience in trouble shooting and designing custom computers

any help would be great...

im even gonna consider voluntering just to gain more experience and get my self in some where......

thanks
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

How strong are you in remote office installations? Any experience? Namely, remote office VPN, routing, remote site AD servers, replication, etc.

How strong are you in network security? (most important)
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Still pretty cut throat in this market but it's getting better.

Do you have any backgrounds in other field of network operations? (helpdesk/desktop support etc)

It's pretty tough to jump into networking field unless you're lucky, self employed or employed as a co-op student.

Most people I know work their way in through helpdesk/desktop support then upgraded their career.

My Ride
    1991 HDJ81 Land Cruiser

what about helpdesk/support is there a way to get in to that???
    where will the road take me?
    Certified Vale PDR Technitian

My Ride
    13 Scion FR-S, 11 Mitsu Outlander

Try Telus and Shaw for some quick tech support experience.

Khyron
    That's not sweat. It's your fat, crying.

yo.. rage

you seem like you can hook someone up

can you find something for a person with:

-bcomm degree specializing in information systems from UofC
    -cisco certificate

looking to get into networks

LMK

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

haha yea, I can hook ppl up. But I'm looking for hackers, not college/university grads .
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bicycle

Looking for people to test your perimeter?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

No, looking for someone to replace me so I can get a promotion.

I'm not gonna hire a stupid person. I'm not gonna hire someone that'll qualify for desktop support, 1st level support, ppl that do support out of manuals, people that got into it for the money (what money??), people that don't enjoy this stuff, no experience at all, booksmart school kids that sleep early.

I'm gonna hire someone that knows security/networking/active directory/vpn and other stuff really well, learns fast, and doesn't need babysitting. I need a hacker that's played with this stuff extensively so they know whats up. Need something that'll impress me. Grew up on Doritos and coke in their parents basement trying to hack stuff, mod other people's codes, put together interesting and useless projects just so they can. Sleep at 9am, wake up at 5pm.

If I can't find that person, I'm gonna hire a manager to be my boss, so I can stay in the high level tech/network/security field and not get tied down to meetings and planning .

gimmie email so i can send resume...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by wanna-be
    gimmie email so i can send resume...
    Before you send me a resume, do you qualify for what I've stated? You said you want to get into networking, so I'm assuming you've never done much hands on stuff?

Not to be rude, but I get hundreds of resume's a day, so I'm hoping that unless you qualify for what I've stated, don't even bother sending me a resume.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Model S

Originally posted by rage2
    No, looking for someone to replace me so I can get a promotion.

I'm not gonna hire a stupid person. I'm not gonna hire someone that'll qualify for desktop support, 1st level support, ppl that do support out of manuals, people that got into it for the money (what money??), people that don't enjoy this stuff, no experience at all, booksmart school kids that sleep early.

I'm gonna hire someone that knows security/networking/active directory/vpn and other stuff really well, learns fast, and doesn't need babysitting. I need a hacker that's played with this stuff extensively so they know whats up. Need something that'll impress me. Grew up on Doritos and coke in their parents basement trying to hack stuff, mod other people's codes, put together interesting and useless projects just so they can. Sleep at 9am, wake up at 5pm.

If I can't find that person, I'm gonna hire a manager to be my boss, so I can stay in the high level tech/network/security field and not get tied down to meetings and planning .
    Damn, where were you like 3 years ago?

My Ride
    Bicycle

You have no idea how much you'll miss the grunt work until you're a paper pusher (manager). All you deal with is numbers and relations, red tape and beaucrats. Try to get management to agree to a number and not piss off your subordinates so you can deliver the number.

But I guess everybody wants a promotion and you can't do grunt work forever.

Funny that what you mentioned as prerequisite fits me pretty well but that's the me from 3 years ago. I've mellowed out since and try to enjoy more non-digital part of my life.
    Last edited by Xtrema; 01-13-2004 at 05:31 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

hehe I'm currently the manager as well as the sr. techy/geek. I'm trying to split my job into 2 roles so I can concentrate on just the one.

Chances are, I'll stick with being a geek, and not get pay raises for a while. Gotta enjoy your work ya know heh.

Hmmmmz a l337 h4x0r lik3 m3......

Hmmm to be a white hat... Not sure if thats me

Let me know how the search goes. I know a few people who would be interested, if you are still looking rage let me know and I will see if they are interested.

networking is fun.... not easy to get a job.

CCNA and CCNP are too easy.... if you get your CCIE then you'll have a better chance =)

QuA

Originally posted by wanna-be
    yo.. rage

you seem like you can hook someone up

can you find something for a person with:

-bcomm degree specializing in information systems from UofC
    -cisco certificate

looking to get into networks

LMK
    2008 BMW 135i AW/Cora Red Interior| 6M | M-Sport Package | JB3 | BMS DCI | BMW Perf. Exhaust

My Ride
    APR Audi S4

Just hire bol. Sounds like he's a perfect match.

Default Re: looking for computer networking job

If it has been a year and you haven't secured any work, you may want to consider doing a program at SAIT or somewhere similar that provides work experience as part of the program.

Although it is a huge time commitment, you do learn a lot, a lot of the programs provide you with formal ceritfication (which does help at larger companies in many cases to get in the door), and you will meet a lot of people.

Also, you get to be a student, which in my opinion is the world's best lifestyle choice, and 50x better than having a job.

Originally posted by VeilOctane
    looking for a entry level computer networking job... i got experience in windows 2000 networking... got a diploma from cdi college for internet network specialiest...

ive been out for a year now and still looking for steady work... i know how to setup a windows 2000 server with active directory and got experience with novell and linux/unix

i dont have any mcse or a+ certification but i have like 4 years experience in trouble shooting and designing custom computers

any help would be great...

im even gonna consider voluntering just to gain more experience and get my self in some where......

thanks

Default Re: Re: looking for computer networking job

Originally posted by E36M3
    Also, you get to be a student, which in my opinion is the world's best lifestyle choice, and 50x better than having a job.
    AGREED!

Rage2:
    Good luck - I haven't met many people who seem to have these skills you speak of, and the ones I have heard of are pretty sought after (IE: They never need to find a job).

I assume pay is 60K+/year for that role?