Quantcast
kid dented my car - what can I do? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: kid dented my car - what can I do?

You should report the hit and run and they guy will get some big fines and insurance hikes but just take care of the damage yourself. It really cant be that much damage probably a few hundred? Better then being screwed around with insurance and having to pay anyways.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    You should report the hit and run and they guy will get some big fines and insurance hikes but just take care of the damage yourself. It really cant be that much damage probably a few hundred? Better then being screwed around with insurance and having to pay anyways.
    well, I tried that but she told me I had to take it to the RCMP office between 8 and 4. i don't think i'm going to leave work just to do that - i'm super busy for the next couple of weeks.

Originally posted by Guillermo

well, I tried that but she told me I had to take it to the RCMP office between 8 and 4. i don't think i'm going to leave work just to do that - i'm super busy for the next couple of weeks.
    you should change your thread title to "kid dented my car - just saying" then.

is this even worth reporting then? we had a very similar situation with our other car last year (it was about 1 month old at the time). our neighbor drove his beater grand prix with bumpers duct taped on into our bumper, and left 3 giant scrapes that match perfectly to the cladding on his bumper. we took tons of pictures, filed a police report, cop interviewed the guy and wrote in the report that the guy was at fault, and the insurance companies are STILL refusing to pay for the repair, calling it 50/50 so we have to pay the deductible. (I honestly think insurance companies do this so they don't have to pay out deductibles.) ...and by the way, this has taken 6 months of the insurance companies giving us the run around, and the fucking car still isn't fixed.

If that's gonna be the case here (which i'm assuming it will be, since this prickhead won't call me back he's going to deny it), i'd rather just pay for the repair myself than report it to insurance.
    You had a pretty bad adjuster then.

With a door hit there shouldnt be any question as to whom is at fault, so it's what I would do.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Default Re: kid dented my car - what can I do?

I was working in the back of my car in a parking garage, when this volvo minivan comes in and parks next to me, 1 foot way. there were probably about 30 open stalls in the immediate vicinity. dad gets out (overweight douche looking guy dressed in black) and goes to the back of his car, leaving his kid in the back seat to let himself out. well, kid is being a snot and KICKS his car door open into mine, and dented the fuck out of it. (my car has 20000 km on it and the paint is mint.) the parents (hardcore douchebags) were standing right there when the kid did it, and I said "WATCH IT BUDDY" to the kid, and the parents just said to me "sorry." i inspected the damage and it just looked like a slight surface scratch, but when i got it out in the light I could see that it was a very noticeable dent. by this time, the kid and his douchebag parents were gone, so I left a note with my name and phone number, assuming that anyone with any sense of dignity and responsibility would call me back to discuss the matter... well, like any major douche, said parents of course never called back. I have their license plate number, is there anything I can do?

Thanks,

Karmas a bitch. If you are who I think you are then this post is hilarious and you deserve it.

My Ride
    some blue car

Originally posted by 403Gemini

You had a pretty bad adjuster then.
    QFT

My Ride
    Super Car(s)

First off... I woulda asked him immediatly for compensation... that was your first mistake.... if he laughed at me, I woulda told him that if you doesn't pay up that we would have a problem... if he walked away, I'd let him, and he'd come back to a completly fucked up and key'ed car....

Fucking idiots kicking open doors... I saw some guy do it to another NICE car at the peelers the other day and called him a douche bag for dinging another persons ride like that... He just looked at me and drove away.

As for what you should do now... I think its too late really to do anything, I dont think the police would help you.. they got more important things to do... like...... handing out tickets.

I'd suck it up and go get it repaired... I got a door ding on my accord when it was brand new, and they did a great job buffing it out.

Default Re: Re: kid dented my car - what can I do?

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Karmas a bitch. If you are who I think you are then this post is hilarious and you deserve it.

The dad just called me. He was REALLY, REALLY nice, and now I kinda feel bad that his kid accidentally kicked open the door like that.

He said he called Ming in Edmonton, and they quoted $150 for the repair (ballpark estimate). He said he could just mail me $150, or I could get an estimate. What do these door dings usually cost to fix? I've PMed TomCO and am waiting for him to send me his email so I can send him pics (anyone know his email)?

^^hey thats great to hear! glad it seems like its working out, good to know hes willing to work with you
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

yea dude! just waiting to get estimates... he offered to send a check for $150 and call it done, but I really have no idea what these things cost. it also looks like it's scratched to the metal, but i'll probably just wash it really good in spring and cover it with touch up paint (probably need that for rock chips anyhow).

^^ then why take the guys money? His kid made a mistake and I'm sure the kid got in shit. Obviously you're not going to use the money to actually get it fixed and just buy a $10 bottle of scratch remover. Do you drive a Lamborghini? Or a Ferrari? If not than I SERIOUSLY doubt a little tiny dent / scratch will cause you to loose any of the value on your car. People make mistakes, get over it. Don't take this guys money if you're not actually going to fix your car. It's a douche bag move.

My Ride
    Nothing

Originally posted by epp01
    ^^ then why take the guys money? His kid made a mistake and I'm sure the kid got in shit. Obviously you're not going to use the money to actually get it fixed and just buy a $10 bottle of scratch remover. Do you drive a Lamborghini? Or a Ferrari? If not than I SERIOUSLY doubt a little tiny dent / scratch will cause you to loose any of the value on your car. People make mistakes, get over it. Don't take this guys money if you're not actually going to fix your car. It's a douche bag move.
    Are you crazy? This guy damaged his property. He should make restitution.

OP - take him to the cleaners! Or at least take his $150 and call it a day - I'm sure you realize 99.9% of people would not have called you back to make it right.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by epp01
    wtf are you talking about? who said i'm not going to get it fixed? I've already emailed 3 shops for estimates. OF COURSE I'M GOING TO GET IT FIXED. there is a dent and it looks like the paint is scratched to metal... although maybe it can just be buffed out but who knows? chill out, dude, and go troll somewhere else.

EDIT: and by "wash it in the spring and use touch up paint," i meant the scratch (to metal), not the dent. properly fixing a scratch like that requires sanding and repainting the door, which i'm of course not going to make the guy pay for.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 03-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

I'm with epp01 on this one. Take his money and get it professionally done. Otherwise, make him pay the supplies do it yourself.

He was in the wrong and is trying to make it right, an honest thing to do. Reciprocate the honesty imo.
    Ultracrepidarian

Originally posted by msommers
    I'm with epp01 on this one. Take his money and get it professionally done. Otherwise, make him pay the supplies do it yourself.

He was in the wrong and is trying to make it right, an honest thing to do. Reciprocate the honesty imo.
    i'm getting 3 estimates to PDR the dent... it was the scratch that I was going to cover up with touch up paint.
    Last edited by Guillermo; 03-16-2011 at 09:08 PM.

FWIW, I just got an email from Lou's auto body, who quoted 500-700 to fix the scratch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2