Quantcast
Memory Express experiences - Page 13 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13

Thread: Memory Express experiences

Quote Originally Posted by klumsy_tumbler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That one has Seagate's "Backup Plus" software. Wouldn't you need to remove that somehow before adding as a regular desktop drive?
    You shouldn't have to, no. It's probably running in case electronics and not on the HDD itself. The first thing you would do is format the HDD anyway, and the HDD they put inside has the same model number as one you can buy "naked" so there should be no difference. I've bought a couple of Seagate drives like this now and there have been no issues. As for why they are sometimes 50% the cost of the exact same drive sans enclosure, I have no idea. The last one I bought (5TB) was also a "backup plus" model and it wasn't an issue.

Sale ends today if you still want to try it. Best Buy and Memory Express both have them.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 11-30-2017 at 09:41 AM.

My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu3000gt View Post
    You shouldn't have to, no. It's probably running in case electronics and not on the HDD itself. The first thing you would do is format the HDD anyway, and the HDD they put inside has the same model number as one you can buy "naked" so there should be no difference. I've bought a couple of Seagate drives like this now and there have been no issues. As for why they are sometimes 50% the cost of the exact same drive sans enclosure, I have no idea. The last one I bought (5TB) was also a "backup plus" model and it wasn't an issue.

Sale ends today if you still want to try it. Best Buy and Memory Express both have them.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the response! I may go grab one or two myself today then

Gotcha. Thanks for the response! I may go grab one or two myself today then
    No problem. This is the exact drive that's inside it based on the YouTube teardowns I've watched, but I haven't had time to open mine up yet:

https://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Archiv.../dp/B00XS423SC

It's 5900 RPM as well.

You will also need to convert it to a GPT volume if you want to have it as a single volume, or with partitions over 2TB (this is easy to do in a couple clicks in Windows 10 Disk Management).

My Ride
    Bicycle

That one has Seagate's "Backup Plus" software. Wouldn't you need to remove that somehow before adding as a regular desktop drive?
    Format it and it'll be all gone.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Was looking at pricing on GPUs as I picked up pubg and am loving it (also have had fortnite for a bit and wanted to start playing on the desktop vs the laptop with a 960m).

Gtx 1060 $269.99. Cheapest I found it elsewhere was $255. 1050ti seemed like a good deal elsewhere for arounf $160 after shipping, but I wanted the extra longevity and power.

Memex had them in stock south end of Edmonton. Staff ignored me, which was alright as I was sort of browsing/shopping (picked up a mousepad, headphone splitter, was looking at other headphones).

Had a good chat with the teller, but he tried to downsell me on a 1050ti for $209 vs the 1060 for $269. His claim was that 3gb of vram wasnt enough on the 1060. I politely declined, all benchmarks show minimal difference between the 3gb and 6gb 1060 and that is probably due to clock speed. There is a huge difference between the 1050ti, even an oc'd one with 8gb still doesnt touch it.

Edit-
    Overall, happy as usual. Memex is great for wierd splitters and their price is as good if not better than most, with the bonus I can just walk in and grab it. Tried looking for last weeks Black Friday sales to see if any 1060's had deals, but honestly, seems like there werent and cant see much savings waiting until Boxing Day.

When I was playing PubG my Titan X seemed like the minimum GPU you'd want, that game is a resource hog. I get frame rate drops down to 50fps or so sometimes and it uses 6GB of VRAM according to GPUz. This is only at 1440p.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Quote Originally Posted by HiTempguy1 View Post
    Had a good chat with the teller, but he tried to downsell me on a 1050ti for $209 vs the 1060 for $269. His claim was that 3gb of vram wasnt enough on the 1060. I politely declined, all benchmarks show minimal difference between the 3gb and 6gb 1060 and that is probably due to clock speed. There is a huge difference between the 1050ti, even an oc'd one with 8gb still doesnt touch it.
    From the perspective that you can't upgrade VRAM but you can always OC the GPU, he's kinda right.

But if you are running 1080p and don't expect to go 1440p at all (really, you are shopping for 1050/1060, you ain't going 1440p or above anyway). It doesn't really matter. You ain't running ultra on most settings anyway.

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Sure, the base theory is sound, except that a 1050ti will never reach 1060 performance with stock cooling, regardless of overclock or amount of memory on the 1050ti. Its an inferior card .

I laugh a bit at your comment Mitsu. Looking at the gpu charts, the 1060 is a decent card that can run many games well even at 1440. Im not a fps fanboi, as long as its 30fps or better, Im happy.

As for pubg specifically, if you care about doing well, most settings are cranked down anyways. Giving yourself a disadvantage for no reason otherwise. It was never going to be a beautiful game.

Reminds me of the snowmobile thread recently "if it aint 800cc and 163, forget going to the mountains"

Edit
    Since we're offtopic anyways
    http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-...force-gtx-1070

1440 is perfectly acceptable on ultra settings for everything if you aren't doing multiplayer.
    Last edited by HiTempguy1; 12-05-2017 at 02:49 PM.

I didn't say the 1060 wasn't a good card, I said PubG specifically is poorly optimized and really hard on GPUs. If that is the game you want to play, it is something to consider. My settings aren't on high either. Hopefully it's something they can improve with patches.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 12 13