Quantcast
2011 Hyundai Elantra tops Honda Civic, best selling car in Canada - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 61

Thread: 2011 Hyundai Elantra tops Honda Civic, best selling car in Canada

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,155
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by revelations


    You were also "told" that Calgary has more snow than anywhere else in Canada.

    Cite your sources then for the automotive stats.

    I dont doubt this is true, I just need to see some numbers.


    Just in case people who are not familiar with VDS, it's data collected after 3 years of ownership of a new car.

    So 2011 stats would be from 2008 models.

    If you discount the low volume brands, the ranking goes:

    Toyota
    Hyundai
    Honda
    Ford
    Chevy
    Last edited by Xtrema; 03-20-2011 at 06:48 PM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    My Ride
    Has AWD
    Posts
    1,861
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Out of all the Sub $20k compact cars on the market I believe the Cruze has the best overall power(when equipped with the 1.4L DI Turbo) and suspension feel, even the brakes feel very good for a compact car. The only thing that car is missing is a manual gearbox which is only available with the gutless 1.8L non-DI Turbo powertrain. Maybe upon the release of the hatchback model late this year or early next year they will finally give us a manual gearbox for the 1.4L DI Turbo powertrain.
    Last edited by MGCM; 03-20-2011 at 09:39 PM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by MGCM
    Out of all the Sub $20k compact cars on the market I believe the Cruze has the best overall power(when equipped with the 1.4L DI Turbo) and suspension feel, even the brakes feel very good for a compact car. The only thing that car is missing is a manual gearbox which is only available with the gutless 1.8L non-DI Turbo powertrain. Maybe upon the release of the hatchback model late this year or early next year they will finally give us a manual gearbox for the 1.4L DI Turbo powertrain.
    It is already available with either the 6spd auto or a 6spd manual. The manual being very popular in the ECO model.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Alberta
    My Ride
    Has AWD
    Posts
    1,861
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Originally posted by lamp_shade_2000


    It is already available with either the 6spd auto or a 6spd manual. The manual being very popular in the ECO model.
    To date GSL has zero 6spd manual Cruze's with the 1.4L DI Turbo powertrain, the only 6spd manual's we ever had were for the 1.8L models. I see now on GM's website the new ECO model with 6spd manual.........I guess once we get some in stock I'll have to test drive one.
    Last edited by MGCM; 03-20-2011 at 10:05 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    432
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    We have a few at CMP. You can definitely feel the torque of the 1.4T compared to the 1.8

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Okanagan
    My Ride
    K-car
    Posts
    1,836
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    I'm going try to rent a Cruze this week while in the states. Mostly all the reviews of this car are.very positive, and they have a beautiful interior for the price. Just curious to see how all these new compact cars perform, and if they live up to their MPG ratings.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Mr. Forex technical
    My Ride
    a tank
    Posts
    1,848
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by corsvette
    No doubt their new products look great, and Initial quality may be good, but i still worry about long term Hyundai ownership. I've talked to many owners of Tiburon's, Santa fe's and the simailar kia stablemates, most are happy for the first 5yrs or so,after that they tend to fall apart rather quickly. Maybe thats why their resale value is still poor.
    thats my issue with them as well, my dad had a kia a few years back and for the 1st few years it was all well but the last few years, the fuel mileage suddenly started to drop rapidly and so does performence,

    if this is the case, obviously the re-sell will continue to not hold. I am sure they are on the right track and it will take more years of this following to create a new mental brand in everyone's mind, there fore price savings really have to stick out in order for me to get into one.

    business strategy, it doesnt come at a better time for them to leap ahead of toyota/honda especially now with everything that has been going on of late and of recent years, Hyundai/kia is trying to be the acura/honda, Lexus/toyota Infinity/nissan
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    2016 IS300 AWD
    2011 Venza V6 AWD
    2009 STI AWD
    2004 TSX
    2002 WRX
    2000 Celica GT

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,727
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    I'm a huge fan of all the recently re-done Hyundai product.

    As for the Cruze, anyone else notice you can pay $32,000+ for one of those? I thought it was a decent little car until I saw the window sticker at the car show. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but IMO that thing is not worth anywhere near $32k with a full option load.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 12 Honda Odyssey
    Posts
    4,931
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I'm a huge fan of all the recently re-done Hyundai product.

    As for the Cruze, anyone else notice you can pay $32,000+ for one of those? I thought it was a decent little car until I saw the window sticker at the car show. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but IMO that thing is not worth anywhere near $32k with a full option load.
    That's how domestic pricing works. They price the cars high then hit them with huge incentives and you end up paying what you'd expect in the class

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,727
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Originally posted by Aleks


    That's how domestic pricing works. They price the cars high then hit them with huge incentives and you end up paying what you'd expect in the class
    Their website shows $500 off, is there a bigger credit than that available?

    Using their online price/builder thing I get $32,707.50 - $500 credit. Still a massive rip off IMO, unless the discounts are actually more like $5000-6000 and not $500. Thats only a few thousand off the base prices of the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, or Infinity G series, etc.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,756
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Good for Hyundai! The Elantra looks fantastic!

    .. For once.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    17' Camaro SS 1LE, 17' Golf R, 18' F-150
    Posts
    2,332
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I'm a huge fan of all the recently re-done Hyundai product.

    As for the Cruze, anyone else notice you can pay $32,000+ for one of those? I thought it was a decent little car until I saw the window sticker at the car show. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but IMO that thing is not worth anywhere near $32k with a full option load.
    and

    Hyundai's look great, they really do. The one thing I'm hoping they do now is shoehorn their new V8 into the Genesis but that's another story.

    I was shocked at the car show when I saw the sticker on the fully loaded cruze, but like Aleks said you could proably walk out the door for under 30k.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 12 Honda Odyssey
    Posts
    4,931
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt


    Their website shows $500 off, is there a bigger credit than that available?

    Using their online price/builder thing I get $32,707.50 - $500 credit. Still a massive rip off IMO, unless the discounts are actually more like $5000-6000 and not $500. Thats only a few thousand off the base prices of the BMW 3 series, Audi A4, or Infinity G series, etc.
    The incentives might not be in effect yet. In US they already have strong incentives on it and its outselling the Elantra. I'm guessing Canada will follow soon. Cobalt had anything from a few grand to $9000 in incentives at the end.

    I've been reading some owner reviews of the Elantra and there are already complaints about how crappy the ride is and how very noisy the engine is, cheap paint, rattles and fuel economy nowhere near the advertised.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    My Ride
    I like. :)
    Posts
    1,639
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Wow go Lincoln??!!?11?/ So in about 3 years we should see Toyota behind SAAB I guess, given Toyota's trend of massive recalls and defects in the past 12 months.

    I like the new Tuscon. This new Elantra has some interesting bumps and bulges, angry lights on all four corners if you're into that, and the future-Prius like shape is neat. Kinda gay that they couldn't remake the Elantra Touring at the same time but that would make too much sense.
    Last edited by treg50; 03-22-2011 at 05:58 AM.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canuckistan
    My Ride
    Exploded.
    Posts
    6,756
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Originally posted by treg50
    Wow go Lincoln??!!?11?/ So in about 3 years we should see Toyota behind SAAB I guess, given Toyota's trend of massive recalls and defects in the past 12 months.
    Not really "wow" for Lincoln. It's a luxury brand that few people buy so their ratio is better.

    I don't think you count fleet in this, right?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    My Ride
    A vehicle or two
    Posts
    4,212
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by maxwinedog


    Really? I was told Hyundais have surpassed Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Mercedez, BMW, Subaru, VW, Audi in terms of engine and parts quality and lifespan.
    While I am not sure about this statement, keep in mind that we're not just talking about "initial quality". The long-term longevity of the new Hyundai has yet to be proven, imo.

    With that said, it looks very, very good for them. This Elantra is a home run for sure.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    2017 Civic Hatch ST
    Posts
    9,727
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Yeah those reliability lists mean very little, IMO. Also 3 years means nothing for "long term" reliability. No matter what car you buy these days, it will be pretty good if it's only 3 years old unless you get a lemon.

    If I recall, the biggest problem with this list is that the severity of the problem is not taken into account, which makes it completely irrelevant (IMO). An engine bursting into flames and a burnt out headlight are each treated as a single problem. Reliability is also very dependent on how well the owner takes care of it, which is a HUGE variable.

    Also, Lincoln is at the top because they do such a small volume, and most of them get driven like 2,000 km/year by seniors, so naturally they will break down less under such gentle and infrequent use. The one person I know personally with a Lincoln as a daily driver hates it, and it is in the shop constantly. I'm willing to bet Buick and Jaguar are near the top for similar reasons.

    Interesting to see Mini at the bottom of the list, as I recall reading recently it had one of the highest resale % of any vehicle.

    I do agree that true long term reliability of the new Hyundai product is yet to be seen, but from what I saw at the car show, I was impressed.

    Originally posted by Aleks
    I've been reading some owner reviews of the Elantra and there are already complaints about how crappy the ride is and how very noisy the engine is, cheap paint, rattles and fuel economy nowhere near the advertised.
    Most of those are things that are easily discovered during a close look at the car and some test drives. I have zero sympathy for someone who only discovers an interior, for example, is cheap after they've owned it. It doesn't take any more than common sense to see see if cheap crappy plastic is used everywhere or not. And bad ride quality? Noisy engine? Anyone complaining about those things clearly did not even bother to test drive the car, or they would have known before hand. Anyways, I'm not directing these comments at you obviously, but I don't feel sorry for car owners who don't do their due diligence, especially with a large purchase like a car. A 24 hour test drive (if available) would easily tell them what the gas mileage is like as well. The only thing that would be tough to test in the extreme short-term is cheap paint, and if a rattle developed over time and wasn't present at the test drive.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    USE20
    Posts
    282
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by maxwinedog


    Really? I was told Hyundais have surpassed Nissan, Mazda, Honda, Toyota, Mercedez, BMW, Subaru, VW, Audi in terms of engine and parts quality and lifespan.
    Hyundai has never been known for making vehicles with long lifespans and high quality until recently (2+ years?).
    Its gonna take more than a couple years for them to build a reputation in terms of quality and reliability.

    On the other hand Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc have had their hands in that jar almost since the beginning.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    C-Town
    My Ride
    2018 F87
    Posts
    6,998
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by Ymerej472008


    Hyundai has never been known for making vehicles with long lifespans and high quality until recently (2+ years?).
    Its gonna take more than a couple years for them to build a reputation in terms of quality and reliability.

    On the other hand Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc have had their hands in that jar almost since the beginning.
    Not sure if I would put Nissan up there as their reliability has been pretty spotty over the years much like Mazda. There's been two tiers of Japanese automakers over the years; Honda & Toyota then the 2nd tier although Toyota has been slipping.
    Last edited by heavyD; 03-23-2011 at 11:59 AM.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    2016 MB C450
    Posts
    8,155
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Originally posted by Ymerej472008
    On the other hand Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc have had their hands in that jar almost since the beginning.
    Nissan is Mazda with more reliable engines*.


    *when it's not made in Mexico

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hyundai, best selling passenger car company in Canada

    By Xtrema in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 32
    Latest Threads: 07-27-2011, 07:53 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 01-07-2007, 12:07 PM
  3. FS: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

    By ehos in forum Cars, Trucks, Motorbikes, and Trailers
    Replies: 1
    Latest Threads: 09-20-2004, 12:34 PM
  4. Parting out 94 hyundai elantra

    By racerjim in forum Automotive Parts
    Replies: 0
    Latest Threads: 08-28-2004, 02:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •