Quantcast
Blue collar discrimination - The forgotten victims. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue collar discrimination - The forgotten victims.

Default Blue collar discrimination - The forgotten victims.

I've learned a lot recently about how "the other side" gets treated - It's been an eye opener.

A few weeks ago, I was shopping in T+T Franklin, wearing my "work" (read: Blue Collar) clothes. People kept walking into me, cutting me off, like I wasn't there. While I'm usually a courteous pedestrian, I've become accustomed to a certain degree of courtesy from others. I figured that this was some kind of standard behavior against non asians.

Fast forward a week later. Against all odds, I'm at T+T again, in my "other" work clothes: White collar, professional, with a touch of dandy. I seem to have no trouble with traffic flow, or with people walking into me, or cutting me off. It occurs to me that my previous experience wasn't based in race, but in class.

Fast forward to this weekend: After a day of dry walling, I end up at the post office. I'm filling out a form, and hear the clipity-clop of heels. I Glance up, make eye contact with a well coiffed woman a little younger than me. After .25 seconds of eye contact, she's rolls her eyes. WTF!!! DID YOU JUST ROLL YOU EYES AT ME BIATCH!!!! While I'm no stud, I can't recall the last time I'd been so rudely and overtly been given a "you can't look at this" by a woman.

Ironically, the woman who rolled her eyes at me was black, and probably privy to all sorts of scholarships, opportunities, and sympathies that would be denied to a white blue collar man covered in drywall mud.

Altogether, it's been a growing realization of just how shitty people are to blue collar folk... It's mind boggling... like people just automatically think it's ok to shit on these folk.

While many of us are guilty of being classist to some degree, I don't think I ever appreciated the sheer degree of callousness.
    Last edited by LollerBrader; 03-20-2011 at 11:27 PM.

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

I wear my clean next day shop clothes home, and to grocery stores.

It helps with my anti social side, people generally leave me alone, and I'm certainly not a target of womens attention.

I like it that way.

I treat blue collar different when I see them covered in shit and swearing every other word at Tim Hortons.

Generally blue collars reputation is earned.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

I'm pretty sure we've all gotten this, ie. Not wearing the best looking clothes out.. But peoples attitudes are ridiculous.
    I walked into "Chintz" (that high-end furniture store downtown), in a hoodie and levi's, and not 1, but the 5-6 women I walked past in the store all stuck up their noses at me, like I'm not good enough to be in the store with them.. Okay, whatever.
    Fast Forward one week and I go into O'Connors in a different hoodie, and levis once again looking for a tie, and get greeted at the door like a VIP, get all the attention in the world from the sales guy, and feel like a baller (with a differing bank account).
    Its al labout context, but its amazing how people can justify how someone should be treated just based on the color of their shirt. (At work, and in public)

Just like a regular to my bar in Lake Bonavista, he owns a painting company... has always dreamed of owning an M5 and currently does (2 in fact as he could not decide on a colour)

He told me when he went in to check some out. He was by no means dressed up, but was wearing "work clothes" clean of course... but he said he had a hell of a time getting a salesman to take him seriously, until he went to the sales manager. He then proceeded to pay cash for both!

Goes to show, just because someone is not dressed in a suit and tie does not mean they are worth less than others.
    Last edited by vengie; 03-21-2011 at 12:29 AM.

Alberta of all places should know better... You have guys that can walk into a dealership in a hoody or coveralls and buy anything on the lot in cash..

Originally posted by vengie
    Goes to show, just because someone is not dressed in a suit and tie does not mean they are worth less than others.
    Don't forget the flip side.
    Just because a dude is well dressed, it doesn't mean he's wealthy.

With that said though, people should stop judging others.

What do I know though? I'm a visible minority and I don't expect to be well received regardless of what I'm wearing. lol

Originally posted by 5t3v3

What do I know though? I'm a visible minority and I don't expect to be well received regardless of what I'm wearing. lol
    So you're white? lol

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

You think that's bad? People would actually look down on me when I told them I was apprenticing to become an electrician. When my Mom was asked what I was doing, even she could tell they were disappointed to some degree, it's disgusting. You could tell the respect wasn't there because I wasn't going to university like their kids. I remember giggling to myself as I thought, "keep fuckin laughing while I charge 100/hr to change a light fixture any idiot could do." They're too good for that sort of work! Or I'd find out their kid is getting an arts degree. Well congratu-fucking-lations!

I guess coming from that into a university can give me some perspective for both sides. I've certainly met a lot of idiots while I was apprenticing. Probably from drinking and doing drugs so often. However, I've met a fair share of dumbasses in university as well.

I definitely swear more than I'd like coming from construction. Maybe that's part of it. Ha.
    Last edited by msommers; 03-21-2011 at 01:23 AM.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    e46 328i, e46 m3

My parents have always taught me that working with your mind > working with your hands, and I agree 100%.
    Originally posted by banned3x
    i wasent trying to fuck my grandma, i was just trying to feel her boobs.

Originally posted by msommers
    You think that's bad? People would actually look down on me when I told them I was apprenticing to become an electrician. When my Mom was asked what I was doing, even she could tell they were disappointed to some degree, it's disgusting. You could tell the respect wasn't there because I wasn't going to university like their kids. I remember giggling to myself as I thought, "keep fuckin laughing while I charge 100/hr to change a light fixture any idiot could do." They're too good for that sort of work! Or I'd find out their kid is getting an arts degree. Well congratu-fucking-lations!

I guess coming from that into a university can give me some perspective for both sides. I've certainly met a lot of idiots while I was apprenticing. Probably from drinking and doing drugs so often. However, I've met a fair share of dumbasses in university as well.

I definitely swear more than I'd like coming from construction. Maybe that's part of it. Ha.
    $100 an hour? Last time I hired an electrician it was nowhere near this. I find it funny when my friends say they are coming out of sait making $60 an hour because we all know this isn't happening...and $100 and hour...not many trades people make it near this level from what I hear.

I do agree it is bad people judge others by the way they look but come on you should at least look half decent if you are going to buy a car or going shopping don't look like a slob no matter what job you hold. I think everyone should at least have enough respect for themselves to clean up.

Originally posted by Type_S1

I do agree it is bad people judge others by the way they look but come on you should at least look half decent if you are going to buy a car or going shopping don't look like a slob no matter what job you hold. I think everyone should at least have enough respect for themselves to clean up.
    Maybe they are going to these places for convenience... such as going home from work, not wanting to drive all the way home, clean up, then drive all the way back. Some days I straight up do not feel like dressing up. Are you telling me I am not able to buy a car dressed as a bum, even though I can afford to buy it? In my opinion the Salesmen should stop being so judgemental, with the right questions they can tell who is there to buy and who is there wasting their time.

When I was 16 I went to Calgary Honda to look at an RSX-s they had on the lot. I asked for assistance and had NO ONE willing to help, so what did I do? I went to Jack Carter and bought and brand new Cobalt ss/sc $31,xxx. That was a potential cheque out of the sales man at Honda, but he was unable to ask the questions to find out my intentions. Whats even funnier was I worked at Calgary Honda at 17 and he recognized me, and asked me if I was the one looking at that Rsx 6 months earlier... as I got in my Cobalt.

When I was 18 and driving truck, I wanted to stop at Eveline Charles to buy my mother a birthday present, and yes I was in my work clothes, steel toes included. The moment I walked in there everyones nose went to the roof when dealing with me, this attitude is unnecessary. I was 18 years old, driving truck, class 1 license, made VERY good money, a HELL of a lot more than any of those employees at Eveline Charles. Yet was looked down on because I was coming home from work.

This attitude is highly unnecessary in our society. Without blue collar workers willing to put in a hard days work, the world would not go round. Everyone has an importance that should be looked upon with respect.

/Rant

You can dress however you want to...don't get so upset. But if you want respect from some people you have to respect yourself and not look like a slob. I can understand if your going home from work and swinging by a place to grab something quick it can't be helped but it's different when your going to make a big ticket purchase.

It's kind of like when I walk into holt renfrew...I make a shit ton more then the sales people and shop there multiple times a year but since I am young the employees stick their noses up at me and offer no help. People discriminate on much more then just what your wearing. Race, color, age, way you dress, the way your groomed, what you drive, who your with, how you speak...so don't be so upset saying it's only blue-collared individuals getting the short end of the stick.

Originally posted by vengie

Maybe they are going to these places for convenience... such as going home from work, not wanting to drive all the way home, clean up, then drive all the way back. Some days I straight up do not feel like dressing up. Are you telling me I am not able to buy a car dressed as a bum, even though I can afford to buy it? In my opinion the Salesmen should stop being so judgemental, with the right questions they can tell who is there to buy and who is there wasting their time.

When I was 16 I went to Calgary Honda to look at an RSX-s they had on the lot. I asked for assistance and had NO ONE willing to help, so what did I do? I went to Jack Carter and bought and brand new Cobalt ss/sc $31,xxx. That was a potential cheque out of the sales man at Honda, but he was unable to ask the questions to find out my intentions. Whats even funnier was I worked at Calgary Honda at 17 and he recognized me, and asked me if I was the one looking at that Rsx 6 months earlier... as I got in my Cobalt.

When I was 18 and driving truck, I wanted to stop at Eveline Charles to buy my mother a birthday present, and yes I was in my work clothes, steel toes included. The moment I walked in there everyones nose went to the roof when dealing with me, this attitude is unnecessary. I was 18 years old, driving truck, class 1 license, made VERY good money, a HELL of a lot more than any of those employees at Eveline Charles. Yet was looked down on because I was coming home from work.

This attitude is highly unnecessary in our society. Without blue collar workers willing to put in a hard days work, the world would not go round. Everyone has an importance that should be looked upon with respect.

/Rant

We just built a house near Shawnessy and up until this point I didn't have any idea of the blue collar masses down here. I don't even give them the time of day anymore - The blue collar folks generally have shittier attitudes, and are ignorant as hell. They also tend to drive pickup trucks and beat as hell sedans.

The stigma is well earned.

I don't get that, the treatment I mean. I purposely wear my Carhartts or Dickies, they're comfortable and worn in very nice. I dress blue collar on purpose I suppose. I just like work style clothes Hey that was kinda a rhyme! Fuck ya!

Some people just don't have anything between the ears. The guy in front of you covered in drywall dust is probably already close to $30hr not including the daily OT at $60hr and the side jobs for cash around the same. Add that up working 268 12hr days a year. This is Alberta people. Professional tradesmen here don't work for minimum wage and weekend beer money.

Not that it matters but I have a degree, a technical diploma, and a professional journeyman trade. I work blue collar, I much prefer it. Quite a lot of the guys on the crews I've been on also have higher education. The actual work type and money is better than some middle management job for us. /rant I'm late for my morning Tim Hortons spit and swear session.

On the flip side blue collar guys can be some of the most judgmental people around. I remember the words "white collar faggot" being thrown around here in the past...

My Ride
    Silverado

Being a student I've had the opposite experience. When I'm in school the females tend to look uninterested. But, when I was working during the summer girls seemed to dig me when I'm hopping out of the company truckwearing the ppe.

My Ride
    '19 GTI

What's up with the discrimination on pickup truck drivers? I drive a silverado (had it for 4 yrs now). Does that make me a slob? Or better yet, worthy of any less respect?
    I know for a fact it can beat all your guys' fart can sedans any day

Originally posted by somerset_dude
    We just built a house near Shawnessy and up until this point I didn't have any idea of the blue collar masses down here. I don't even give them the time of day anymore - The blue collar folks generally have shittier attitudes, and are ignorant as hell. They also tend to drive pickup trucks and beat as hell sedans.

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by Type_S1

$100 an hour? Last time I hired an electrician it was nowhere near this. I find it funny when my friends say they are coming out of sait making $60 an hour because we all know this isn't happening...and $100 and hour...not many trades people make it near this level from what I hear.

Well your wrong because yes calling up an electrical company to come do work for you is going to cost right in that range if not a little bit more. I charge 50-60$ an hour for any side work that I do unless its for friends which is a fair deal.

Its not really feasible for me to drive all the way back home to Auburn Bay from SAIT after work just to run some errands. All because of a pervieved image I should have when going out in public.

It used to bother me at the lack of respect i'd get when wearing my overalls out in public, but that was more when I was apprenticing and still living at home. Now that im doing better for myself then alot of the poeple who are going to judge me, it doesn't really bother me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This is why I wear grungy shit for the evenings and weekends. I don't want to be noticed, I don't want to talk to the cashier at safeway. I just want to get my errands done, and get home.

That being said, if I'm going vehicle shopping, I'm throwing on some cleaner clothes.

It's all a game, and you can bitch about it, or make it work for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    2010 frontier pro-4x

Originally posted by somerset_dude

This is exactly the attitude problem that plagues people in this city and is making it a shittier place to live.

For some reason alot of people like yourself don't seem too see any kind of distinction in a blue coller workers. Of course there are going to be some losers in blue collar clothing because thats the only profession they can get into that is going to pay them half decent.

But keep in mind that blue collar workers aren't all the same. Theres a big difference from being a general contruction worker/labour or landscaper and then being a jouneyman in a recognizable trade.

You can bet the real low lifes, losers typically aren't your professional tradesmen and are more likely to be a grunt there to collect his paycheque every week.

Almost every single tradesman I work with is aware of this stigma and does everything they can to be as polite as they can in hopes that maybe more people like yourself can be a little more tolerant one day.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast