Quantcast
Laying tile over lino floor? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Laying tile over lino floor?

Thumbs down Laying tile over lino floor?

Asking this for a friend...

They want to lay tile over their lino floor in the bathroom. Lino is on a concrete subfloor in a mainfloor condo.
    From my research it can be done. The lino is thin, contractor grade. I don't think there'd be any flex but let me know what you think?

Should I scuff up the lino before laying the mortar or use a priming solution?
    Do I use the "special" flex mortar or is the standard mortar fine? They are 12"x12" tiles that they want and the place is 2 years old, not sure if settling makes a difference.

My Ride
    66 Accord

Why not rip off the Lino and forget about it.

My Ride
    Edge Sport, F-150 EcoBoost

You can tile over lino, go for it.
    freshprince
    -Jan 2006-

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

The only concern I would have is to ensure the subfloor is sturdy enough for the kind of tile you are going to put on top.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by Kloubek
    The only concern I would have is to ensure the subfloor is sturdy enough for the kind of tile you are going to put on top.
    He did say it was a concrete sub underneath but still, just lift the lino and sand the adhesive off. I wouldn't want to risk tiling over it and having the adhesive lift beneath the lino after the fact.

But hey, I only provide flooring and installers I don't actually do it. We need Dave to chime in here.
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

My Ride
    335i

You can tile over lino but you will need the proper mortar. Check with the guys at Home Depot who can recommend the proper stuff for your job
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    79 Country Squire 95 Deville 09 Jeep JK

The mortar you are looking for Keralastic.

My Ride
    03 Mdx, 05 Gli

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    Check with the guys at Home Depot who can recommend the proper stuff for your job
    Not sure I would necessarily agree with this.

My Ride
    944 535xi F250

Originally posted by Weapon_R
    You can tile over lino but you will need the proper mortar. Check with the guys at Home Depot who can recommend the proper stuff for your job

ummm after I follwed their advice on tiling my bathroom and having to tear it out a week later.....get Professional advice.

also ... it turns out., if you are really angry. You can remove just about any flooring type in about 20 minutes.
    Last edited by Alpine Autowerks; 03-25-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    ninja trainers motto

always be able to kill your students

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by Alpine Autowerks
    also ... it turns out., if you are really angry. You can remove just about any flooring type in about 20 minutes.
    This is why its "recommended" you drink a little beer/liquor/wine when doing reno projects.... chills you out from the inevitable unforseen shit

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

I've tiled over lino on the main floor. But I used Duraceramic tile and it goes down with contact cement. Easy as pie and it's wearing quite well.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

As long as it's attached to the concrete solidly, there's nothing wrong with tiling on top of vinyl. You can use normal Thinset as long as it's "modified". (Mapei's Ultraflex, Custom's Versabond, etc). Keralastic is good stuff but not necessary. Scuffing it up is good. But at the very least just make sure its clean. We actually used to PUT vinyl over concrete floors before tile as a cheap but effective "anti-fracture" membrane. So you're good to go.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 03-26-2011 at 10:10 AM.

My Ride
    Taco

I opted to remove my lino and trust me it was a huge PITA. Mine came up in two inch peices. I had to rip up approx 150sq/ft. If you do remove it, check to see if they used asbestos in the glue. In that case do the proper research how to remove it safely.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by B20EF
    I opted to remove my lino and trust me it was a huge PITA. Mine came up in two inch peices. I had to rip up approx 150sq/ft. If you do remove it, check to see if they used asbestos in the glue. In that case do the proper research how to remove it safely.
    Grab a good floor scraper and a pack of blades to make things easier!

If you are worried about old adhseive containing asbestos you just keep it wet so there is no dust, that's about all you need to do.

Best advice is just listen to Dave though..
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Thanks for all the responses!

Ya the Home Depot guys aren't the smartest (in general, some are good though) if they were, they'd be contractors not sales assistants.

I saw that rubber membrane stuff and thought... very costly for what it accomplishes. I used the flexi-concrete on my project at home and probably have enough left over for this job if I decide to take it on for them.

No asbestos as it's a new place.

I didn't want to lift the lino because I almost know for certain, I'd have chunks and it wouldn't be a smooth lift and it's more labor that it's worth. Scuffing is a must, I agree with all the residue wax, etc over the 2 years. I want a good bond.

I've listened to Dave before and he helped me out big time on a past tile mess up.

i was using a dremel style scraper to rip up lino, that got old real fast. then I rented a bug electric scraper from home depot for one day ($60 for the day i think) and i had 400 sq feet done in like 3 hours. rent one, its worth it.

In the OP's case, its actually better to leave the vinyl down. Being a concrete floor in a condo, its more than likely "lightweight" concrete which is prone to cracks, as well, there is probably 2x4 lumber "screeds" along the walls and around the toilet. The vinyl will act as an "anti-fracture" membrane to these areas, similar to the principal behind "Schluter Ditra". Use a belt sander to "rough up" the surface of the vinyl as well as it will take off any wax or dirt residue. (You can borrow mine if you like) Then use a modified thinset and it will be fine. Make sure there's no areas where the vinyl is "lifting" off the concrete. Simply cut with an Olfa knife and take up any loose pieces.

Never thought of it as a rubber membrane (if it's glued down appropriately).
    I've got a belt sander, thanks for the offer.