Quantcast
Got a question about auto insurance, 1 driver in accident has expired insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Got a question about auto insurance, 1 driver in accident has expired insurance

Default Got a question about auto insurance, 1 driver in accident has expired insurance

BUT WE DONT KNOW 100% FORSURE.

Im just trying to plan ahead for the worst if possible. I dont know forsure if hes driving on expired insurance cause the officer whos dealing with my report said theres a good chance his auto ins. auto renewed or hes still waiting for the new pink slip in the mail or hasnt replaced it with his old one cause it just expired few weeks ago. Last fri, some idiot hit me and when he gave me his pink auto ins. slip i noticed it said it expired March 3, 11. Its RBC Ins.

Anyways, the claim is still new so my ins. hasnt been able to find out yet if he has renewed or not. But if say his insurance expired, how does the process then work? Cause im hearing different things.

I hear that the cops and HIS auto ins. will go after him with the repair bill and force him to pay. And that to leave it to them to deal with.

BUt then i also hear that they wont go after him and that im on my own and have to either 1) take him to small claims court (which id rather not do cause its a long and i do mean LONG and time consuming process as ive been through it before with other matters), or 2) get a lawyer to go after him.

Can someone tell me how itll work and your prefered most direct quickest route to take if this is the case for me?

Also, if his insurance isnt renewed, can i still get my car repaired or will that be put on hold?

thanks

It's pretty simple.

If he doesn't have insurance & you have collision insurance -- your insurance company will pay for your repairs and go after him.

If you don't have collision insurance & he refuses to pay -- you have to sue him.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

I don't think you have anything to worry about. There are many, MANY people driving around with expired pink cards. Auto insurance policies automatically renew so I would be VERY surprised if the guy didn't actually have insurance. I get several calls a week from clients who say "I never got my pink cards at renewal time" and of course they did, they just forgot to put them in the vehicle and now they're standing at the registry office with last year's pink card.

OP, you'll be fine.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

Ok thanks for the feedback.

How exactly does auto ins. Companies go after people? Do they just keep constantly calling them like creditors?

My Ride
    Bicycle

One reason to buy comprehensive. So it become insurance's problem instead of yours.

If his insurance is valid, they will just get it from RBC.

If his insurance is no valid, they will get lawyers if he doesn't pay.