Quantcast
Guzoo roadside zoo in Three Hills - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Guzoo roadside zoo in Three Hills

My Ride
    W204

Originally posted by Amysicle
    But that's the thing, a lot of the animals they keep there aren't domesticated work animals that belong on a farm. If they can't afford to keep the animals that they currently have in a habitat similar to the one they came from, then they probably shouldn't have the animals at all.
    So how is this place any different from the Calgary zoo? You think the tiger enclosure is anything like being in their native habitat? Just even considering our weather...
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

My Ride
    S14|TB1

^ the PDF of the review shows an obvious difference compared to the zoo, funds and staff knowledge of how to setup a 'proper' enclosure seem to be lacking unlike the Calgary Zoo.

BUT then again the Calgary Zoo sucks at their job as well since all those animal deaths in 2009.

moral of the story, we should let the animals @ Calgary and Guzoo zoos loose in the summer during stampede week, see what happens lol

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Originally posted by Ven
    Anyone actually been there? I was, looked like a normal farm to me, didn't see any animals in duress at all. Conditions looked better than most farms I've worked in or visited. I think when people go there they expect it will be like a multi-million dollar operation and all fancy like our zoo here. It's not, it'a farm for animals. Just happens to have quite a variety of them.
    The wife has been there. They have/had a bear that was in a lot of commercials and can stand and wave like people or move his mouth like he's talking. She said it looked fine, just lower rent than say the Calgary zoo and no animals in "distress" but then again, who would've thought all that stuff would go down at the Calgary zoo either

<shrug>

The Calgary Zoo's zookeepers suck at their jobs too apparently so same-same really....
    Originally posted by hurrdurr
    I wouldn't gamble with a DP on one of these.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

But that's the thing, a lot of the animals they keep there aren't domesticated work animals that belong on a farm. If they can't afford to keep the animals that they currently have in a habitat similar to the one they came from, then they probably shouldn't have the animals at all.
    Like the Tigers eating out of a cardboard box in the -20 weather at the Calgary zoo?

(Doh, beaten to it on the next page)

Originally posted by 1barA4
    Like the Tigers eating out of a cardboard box in the -20 weather at the Calgary zoo?

(Doh, beaten to it on the next page)
    Originally posted by clem24
    So how is this place any different from the Calgary zoo? You think the tiger enclosure is anything like being in their native habitat? Just even considering our weather...
    Did I use the Calgary Zoo as a shining example of a proper zoo in my comment?

I was only responding to the comment on how the conditions were better than other farms someone has been to. I'm not one of those animal activists who want to ban all zoos and rodeos but I feel there is a distinct difference between domesticated animals bred to work or be eaten compared to an exotic animal taken out of it's habitat for viewing.

At the end of the day, if you're going to possess any animal, be it a dog, cow or tiger, I feel that one should still have the resources, knowledge and compassion to properly care for it.

And for the record, I am absolutely disgusted by the Calgary Zoo with all their mishaps with animals. Cownose rays being an example, the clearly did not have the knowledge to care for these animals and then released the info that it was human error/negligence when no one cared anymore.

My Ride
    1990 4runner

You mean the three SIBERIAN tigers at the calgary zoo? Yeah... -20 is real unusual for them.

Not defending the calgary zoo too hard...they have lots of problems themselves. Just thought that comparison was funny.

My Ride
    09 Lancer Ralliart

Did I use the Calgary Zoo as a shining example of a proper zoo in my comment?
    Well, to be fair, you didn't NOT mention the Calgary Zoo LOL

Clearly things aren't as bad as in the 2007 Zoocheck report as Guzoo is still licensed 4 years later...

That and government is useless

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

You think the tiger enclosure is anything like being in their native habitat? Just even considering our weather...

Originally posted by 1barA4

OK, seriously, they're Siberian tigers. Their native habitat gets down to -45C, Calgary winters are no big deal to them. If anything, our summers are a bit on the warm side of comfortable for them.

That's all kinds of fucked up I dunno how is that place even open still

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
    I couldn't care less about people but when it comes to helpless animals this shit makes my blood boil.
    Because there is no such thing as a helpless human, nope people born to HIV infected mothers in the fucking desert with only purpose in life to starve to death or die in a war doesn't need any sympathy.

Fuck I hate how our society thinks.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I seem to always be disagreeing with people but I really can't figure out what's upsetting people in these pictures. Which of the pictures is abnormal?
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

My Ride

Originally posted by Mar
    I seem to always be disagreeing with people but I really can't figure out what's upsetting people in these pictures. Which of the pictures is abnormal?
    I agree. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be...

The guy is a photo manipulation "artist", looks like a real winner who's qualified in animal care...

http://brokenha1o.redbubble.com/

The only bad picture was the bleeding goat and it apparently just went through a medical procedure with it's horn and is fine.

Edit: Look who's complaining about how the animals look, lol:

(Links are not safe for work, NSFW)

http://brokenha1o.redbubble.com/work...the-zombie-dog
    http://brokenha1o.redbubble.com/works/4037062-1-empty
    http://brokenha1o.redbubble.com/work...leanse-me-lord
    Last edited by tictactoe2004; 03-29-2011 at 07:16 PM.
    Click here to check out my racing sim...

Originally posted by GQBalla
    tictactoe2004 you are scary

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

Originally posted by tictactoe2004

I agree. It's not nearly as bad as people make it out to be...

The guy is a photo manipulation &quot;artist&quot;, looks like a real winner who's qualified in animal care...

http://brokenha1o.redbubble.com/

The only bad picture was the bleeding goat and it apparently just went through a medical procedure with it's horn and is fine.

Edit: Look who's complaining about how the animals look, lol:
    http://brokenha1o.redbubble.com/work...the-zombie-dog
    Ya, really. I wouldn't be surprised if the animals threw the produce all over the enclosure, I got some tarantulas and those things bulldoze their water dish daily, you'd think I filled their dish with dirt on purpose. They're like mini excavators, one of them dug right under the water dish and hangs out under there.

As for the dirty pots of water, they're probably used for cleaning, the animals know better than to drink out of them. Or maybe they're collecting rain water, who knows. I'd say they probably bring them inside for feeding, same as the Calgary Zoo. The elephants hang out outside but when it's feeding time, they're brought in onto a concrete surface with grass stuffed into that box.....if you took a picture of that and posted it on the internet as the elephant enclosure, people would be outraged. It's just for feeding and cleaning, people. They live outside.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar

Ya, really. I wouldn't be surprised if the animals threw the produce all over the enclosure, I got some tarantulas and those things bulldoze their water dish daily, you'd think I filled their dish with dirt on purpose. They're like mini excavators, one of them dug right under the water dish and hangs out under there.

As for the dirty pots of water, they're probably used for cleaning, the animals know better than to drink out of them. Or maybe they're collecting rain water, who knows. I'd say they probably bring them inside for feeding, same as the Calgary Zoo. The elephants hang out outside but when it's feeding time, they're brought in onto a concrete surface with grass stuffed into that box.....if you took a picture of that and posted it on the internet as the elephant enclosure, people would be outraged. It's just for feeding and cleaning, people. They live outside.
    I am honestly just wondering not trying to be a dick but are you under the age of 10 by any chance?

My Ride
    14frs,06Tacoma,69Olds Vista Cruiser, 73VWwestfalia

My Ride
    A4/Tundra

Originally posted by Mar

Your argument is based on assumption. I agree, the photo's may not speak the truth in all circumstances. How about actually going there to decide for yourself?

My Ride
    A car, a truck, and a bike

This comes up all the time, every few years some do-gooder tries to come up with some claims about animal abuse at the guzoo. I grew up in Three Hills, I grew up around this place, know the owner and family personally, and its nothing like its ever portrayed in these attacks. Everybody is an activist without actually checking anything out in person....Well done armchair officers
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

it's really hard to say what the conditions are like from pictures and not actually going in person, but when i was little i grew up around horses, dogs, cattle, birds (quail and pigeon) and cats, since my parents bred and raised all of those. The one thing that REALLY got to me was the frozen water tanks.... animals should not go without water. actually, any feed/tack/farm store sells heaters specifically designed to go in outdoor water tanks and keep the water from freezing. I'm not sure if they had other water tanks that weren't pictured, or what, but animals DO need liquid water to drink.

Also, there was a lot of trash (plastic, etc.) laying around in those cages, and food still in plastic bags ( ), and while that strikes me as very weird, too, it's really the frozen water thing that i don't agree with.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Quite honestly, I think there are few zoos and zoo exhibits which properly take care of the animals. If nothing else, they are usually subjected to climate conditions unlike their native habitat.

So really, all zoos abuse the animals to "some" degree on this basis alone. How badly they abuse the animals, however, varies.

This guy touts himself as "photo manipulation artist" - and although he chose which subjects to shoot, I hope we can assume that none of these photos were actually retouched.

...and if that is indeed the case (that nothing was retouched), the conditions these animals are living in is *not* acceptable.

1) As Guillermo said, the water sources should never be frozen. That's absurd.

2) The enclosures are not well created and do not represent anything close to native habitat. Some of you may think "Oh well... they'll adjust to it". Maybe. But these are wild animals, and without being able to exercise their wild nature an animal will often become reclusive, depressed, and unpredictable.

3) The conditions are filthy. While dirt in itself isn't really a problem, it is the bacteria and disease I would guess exist in these conditions.

4) There are areas which clearly show potential physical risks to the animals. Broken pieces of shit lying everywhere and sharp edges abound.

I'm not an animal rights activist by any stretch of the imagination. However, for people to claim these four points are acceptable is pathetic. Animals (especially endangered species) should be taken care of much better than this.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

CTV News was saying last night the owner started receiving death threats from people once this when viral from facebook.

Fuck I hate hypocrites.
    Ultracrepidarian

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast