Central Memorial Park
    340 13th Avenue SW
    Calgary, Alberta T2R 0W9
    P (403) 265-4006
    http://www.boxwoodcafe.ca/
    - Food: 4/5
    - Ambience: 3/5
    - Service: 4/5

Located in the middle of a park, I swear Boxwood used to be a park shack or something. I don’t know how to describe the décor. It has a very ‘cabin-esque’ feel to it; very comforting and bright. Awesome part is that they have a patio option so this place would be great in summer!

When you enter, it’s very tight; very limited seating and with that in mind, there is no reservation so it’s first-come, first-serve. Once we were seated, we were given a menu that changes often... From what I understand, everything is local and/or sustainable so whatever is in season is what they serve which is nice.

As a sharing app, we got the Red Lentil Hummus, Roasted Garlic & Crackers ($7) and it was overloaded with delicious hummus. The hummus:cracker ratio was way off that we asked for more crackers which was extra. The hummus was smooth and very flavourful and the sea-salted crackers complimented it quite well.

For mains, I got the bison special ($20) and since it was a special, it’s not on the menu site so I don’t know what the sauce is composed of. That being said, I’d avoid it because the bison is chewy and tough; I don’t know if that’s common with game meat because I don’t get it often.

We shared the Quinoa Salad, Red Pepper, Lemon Preserve & Feta ($6) and Warm Lemon Lentils, Spinach, Cumin, Coriander ($6) to compliment our mains; the lentils were pureed to perfection and it was the highlight of my night. Definitely get it as a side! I should’ve gotten either the lamb or the porchetta ($16) but I regret nothing.

My friend got the latter and the porchetta had succulent, crispy skin that I was very green with envy while I chewed away.

For dessert, Fairtrade Chocolate Raspberry Caramel Brownie ($5), Ice Cream Sandwich, Saskatoon Berry ($5) and Saskatoon Berry Bread Pudding ($5) were all devoured. The brownie was moist and soft but that ice cream sandwich was the one; two gingerbread cookies, Saskatoon berry ice cream… What more could you want? *drool* The bread pudding was too sweet for my liking but it wasn’t bad.

The server was very nice, courteous and always came back to check up on us. I love quaint places.

For a group of 5, we averaged $20-30/person so it's a bit pricey. Overall, I would definitely check this place out again because of its seasonal menu and the fact that it’s utilizing local product. What’s better than that?

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

been to this place a few times now, loved the food and the atmosphere!

definitely worth checking it out! their noodle pork bits bowl (probably called something else) is just
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.