Quantcast
Canada Votes 2011 - Vote Compass - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Canada Votes 2011 - Vote Compass

My Ride
    X3

Default Canada Votes 2011 - Vote Compass

For those who have no idea who to vote for, this was an interesting tool to get you started... just to see where you stand on issues and which party/leader your views are closest to.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cana...1/votecompass/

My Ride
    E550 Coupe (M278)

Assuming center is 0%, slight bias towards social conservatism, at about the +5% mark on the vertical. +40% on the horizontal, biased towards economic right.

The Conservative party lands completely inside the oval, whereas the Liberals are on the line.
    -James
    Current beast: E550 Coupe (M278)
    Previous beasts: AM Vantage, E90 335i (modded + JB4 Map2), E39 M5

The survey is incredibly flawed and inherently biased towards the Liberal party.

Try this.

- Answer EVERY question as "Strongly Agree". You will shown that you should vote Liberal.
    - Answer EVERY question as "Strongly Disagree". You will shown that you should vote Liberal.
    - Answer EVERY question as "Indifferent". You will shown that you should vote Liberal.

Basically the questions are weighted on a scoring system.

So I could be pro marijuana legalization, abortion and gay marriage but also be pro military, corporate tax cuts and private health care and it would tell me to vote Liberal even though they are not for any of those things. It would just be because all of my answers are extreme in both directions equally and the average is in the center which defaults to the Liberal party.

My Ride
    Bicycle

That survey should be scrapped.

Everything I tried, unless I go batshit insane right, it tells me to vote Liberals.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

They were talking about this on X929 as well, and also found that almost every response came back as Liberal - regardless of what the user chose.

I (foolishly?) was expecting it to be impartial, coming from CBC.

However, I probably *do* follow Liberal ideologies over Conservative ones. Its just a shame Ignatieff is at the helm... he makes my decision difficult.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    I probably *do* follow Liberal ideologies over Conservative ones.
    There are Liberal ideologies? Who knew!

My Ride
    G6

I figured I was a conservative and the survey said conservative. Liberal was slightly outside my bubble.

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Originally posted by Xtrema
    That survey should be scrapped.

Everything I tried, unless I go batshit insane right, it tells me to vote Liberals.
    So vote liberal. It's meant to be.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Comes back as socially conservative liberal, which I dont agree with at, I haven't voted liberal since the very first time I voted. If I decrease the importance of the environmental questions and answer like we should ban immigrants it goes conservative. I consider myself to be a center leaning conservative.

I'll probably try the quiz again later but it wont change my vote.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

I ended the compass at around the third question: "How much should the government spend on the military?"

The question/answer is too general to apply.

I suspect the above question and the rest will be just as meaningless and ripe with propaganda.

My Ride
    Silverado

haa ya. x929 ripped this apart. apparently no matter what they put in, 90% of the time it was liberal

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    haa ya. x929 ripped this apart. apparently no matter what they put in, 90% of the time it was liberal
    I first heard of this "compass" on CHQR.

One of the producers drastically changed her responses three times. Each time, the answer was Liberal.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 12:23 PM.

The parties move around a bit based on how you answer, my CPC is closer to crosshairs than yours, the Greens are below the NDP and the Libs are a bit further to the left but our checkmark is in a similar spot (mine's a bit higher up).

But I'm still closest to the Liberals, farthest from the NDP.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

Here is a more realistic political spectrum test:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/pol...trum-quiz.html

Originally posted by derpderp
    Here is a more realistic political spectrum test:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/politics/pol...trum-quiz.html
    What makes it more realistic (or relevant)? It's US-centric and doesn't deal with any issues and Question 2 was just stupid. The only issue with the CBC poll is how it puts the parties rather than where it puts people on the spectrum.

My Ride
    anything that comes along

You can compare your results at the end and find a decent position where the average respondent who identifys with a particular party lands on the list. Because you have many more questions and many of the same nature and pick how relevant they are to you.

"Unions were indispensible in establishing the middle class."

I don't see how that question was stupid many say unions were the reason for manufacturing being a decent paying career pre-globalization. Despite that they served no purpose in the creation of the middle-class, it existed in parallel with industrialization.

Social democrats love unions and constantly talk about creating"middle-class" jobs.

Originally posted by derpderp
    You can compare your results at the end and find a decent position where the average respondent who identifys with a particular party lands on the list. Because you have many more questions and many of the same nature and pick how relevant they are to you.
    You can't just pick your spot on one graph and transfer it to another with an unknown scale of how they weigh questions, responses, especially when dealing with spectrums that are Canadian-based and American based.

"Unions were indispensible in establishing the middle class."

I don't see how that question was stupid many say unions were the reason for manufacturing being a decent paying career pre-globalization. Despite that they served no purpose in the creation of the middle-class, it existed in parallel with industrialization.

Social democrats love unions and constantly talk about creating"middle-class" jobs.
    There's a pretty big gap between industrialization and unions and the middle class, a hundred year gap really. But even ignoring that its still a stupid question because you could strongly agree that unions helped create the middle class but still be against them as they operate today. "Unions are necessary to maintain the middle class" would be a good question.

Turns out it has nothing to do with CBC but with a poli sci prof. So can we stop with the mouth breathing conspiracy theories now?

My Ride
    G6

No... I saw commercials for it on CBC up to last night.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast