Quantcast
Does any know what the quickest time anyone has ever driven across Canada? - Page 5 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5

Thread: Does any know what the quickest time anyone has ever driven across Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My midnight run from Vancouver to Calgary in under 6 hours will never be topped again. It’s impossible to not have to slow down for traffic today.

I wonder if it’s faster to drive thru US then back into Canada to actually make such a run work. Still technically coast to coast haha.
    I used to do the Calgary-Vancouver drive at night a lot back in the mid 90s for work. Did it once with Mike Carey (father owned Wallace and Carey Trucking/distribution company back then), and we took his father's Lexus LS400. IIRC it was electronically governed at 155 mph, and it had some sort of performance summer tires as they never drove it in winter due to it being like a hockey puck on ice, I have no idea if they were Z rated or whatever, just decent tires. I had that thing pinging off the limiter for a large portion of that drive, it was early Sept 1996 I think, and there was little traffic in those days in the wee hours of the AM. I had an early jammer back then, and a decent detector, but that was it in those days. Never got pulled over, NO idea how. Anyhow, we were in the 7 hour range, I know for certain it wasn't 6 that's for sure.

6 is VERY fast IMO, especially considering that windy part in the interior where you seem to drive for 2 hours and move about 50 km Westward (it only feels like that, I know).

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post
    I used to do the Calgary-Vancouver drive at night a lot back in the mid 90s for work. Did it once with Mike Carey (father owned Wallace and Carey Trucking/distribution company back then), and we took his father's Lexus LS400. IIRC it was electronically governed at 155 mph, and it had some sort of performance summer tires as they never drove it in winter due to it being like a hockey puck on ice, I have no idea if they were Z rated or whatever, just decent tires. I had that thing pinging off the limiter for a large portion of that drive, it was early Sept 1996 I think, and there was little traffic in those days in the wee hours of the AM. I had an early jammer back then, and a decent detector, but that was it in those days. Never got pulled over, NO idea how. Anyhow, we were in the 7 hour range, I know for certain it wasn't 6 that's for sure.

6 is VERY fast IMO, especially considering that windy part in the interior where you seem to drive for 2 hours and move about 50 km Westward (it only feels like that, I know).
    it is quick. When I was 17, I went from the Vancouver airport to the Calgary airport in 7:36, including gas and lunch stops. if I deducted those, it would probably be right around the 7 hour mark.

I did it in a V8 Cherokee, and I was averaging speeds between 160 and 170kph the whole way.

Is 6 doable? absolutely. I might have got my time under 7 if I pushed the Cherokee a little more as I wasn't exactly quite full throttle.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

This may make me sound old but even if I knew I wouldn't get a ticket that sounds like zero fun to me, and I enjoy speeding, but doing it continuously for most of a day sounds awful.

Did Calgary to Burnaby in like 9 hours once and that was plenty fast for the Econline 1-ton cargo van, lol. Had time to pick up a hitchhiker
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Quote Originally Posted by Gman.45 View Post

Kicking horse was the biggest sketch area. I've had a friend pass away there passing when not supposed to and head on with a semi. I had another friend that rolled off the edge and wrote off his car (somehow walked away). The roads were always so dirty so traction really was random every corner. Once you slide, you're on dirt and off the cliffs. The other areas aren't that bad, it's windy but if you keep your speeds up, you're not losing too much speed/time. Kicking horse probably is the only area with a lot of slow corners, if you know your car well, the other twisty areas can be taken at decent 100+ cornering speed if I remember right.

My most vivid memory from that drive was one moment where I had a pretty close call. For aerodynamics, I drove with the lights off and just on the foglight. In the middle of the fucking night. Just a stupid idea as a kid so visual distance at 200+ didn't give a lot of reaction time. One section it looked like the road was going straight but once I got close enough still accelerating at 240km/h or so, realized it was a turnoff dirt road, and the highway actually turned left. I dunno how I made that turn. Braked as much as I can with whatever straight road was left, understeer scrubbing off speed the whole damn turn right to the edge of the road and lived to tell the story. Oh, the other hilarious part was refuelling. Didn't even turn off the car. One of us would jump right to the pump, while the other would run inside with a fistful of cash. Keep the change. Making it to the next open gas station at night was tough too. There are certain stretches where there's no gas stations for a decent distance, and you burn thru a ton of fuel at that kinda speeds. Probably stopped 3 or 4 times, can't remember.

The only reason I attempted it back then was because my friend in an NSX did it in a little over 6 hours, and I wanted to beat him. Like I said earlier, I was probably faster on the way down, but got pulled over near Abbotsford. Was luckier on the way back to Calgary including that near off. It's too bad traffic today this feat is impossible compared to back then. Maybe when they finally twin the whole route will this be even remotely possible.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Bmw and ford

I did it in 6.5 hrs and i thought that was crazy under 6 is nuts hats off….

Kicking horse was the biggest sketch area. I've had a friend pass away there passing when not supposed to and head on with a semi. I had another friend that rolled off the edge and wrote off his car (somehow walked away). The roads were always so dirty so traction really was random every corner. Once you slide, you're on dirt and off the cliffs. The other areas aren't that bad, it's windy but if you keep your speeds up, you're not losing too much speed/time. Kicking horse probably is the only area with a lot of slow corners, if you know your car well, the other twisty areas can be taken at decent 100+ cornering speed if I remember right.

My most vivid memory from that drive was one moment where I had a pretty close call. For aerodynamics, I drove with the lights off and just on the foglight. In the middle of the fucking night. Just a stupid idea as a kid so visual distance at 200+ didn't give a lot of reaction time. One section it looked like the road was going straight but once I got close enough still accelerating at 240km/h or so, realized it was a turnoff dirt road, and the highway actually turned left. I dunno how I made that turn. Braked as much as I can with whatever straight road was left, understeer scrubbing off speed the whole damn turn right to the edge of the road and lived to tell the story. Oh, the other hilarious part was refuelling. Didn't even turn off the car. One of us would jump right to the pump, while the other would run inside with a fistful of cash. Keep the change. Making it to the next open gas station at night was tough too. There are certain stretches where there's no gas stations for a decent distance, and you burn thru a ton of fuel at that kinda speeds. Probably stopped 3 or 4 times, can't remember.

The only reason I attempted it back then was because my friend in an NSX did it in a little over 6 hours, and I wanted to beat him. Like I said earlier, I was probably faster on the way down, but got pulled over near Abbotsford. Was luckier on the way back to Calgary including that near off. It's too bad traffic today this feat is impossible compared to back then. Maybe when they finally twin the whole route will this be even remotely possible.
    Hah, that brings back memories. My friend's mother called us on the phone (old Motorola 650 was a baller phone then) to see how we were doing on that drive, right in the area you're describing. She could hear the tires wailing in some spots, and she was screaming at us to slow the eff down...good times.

Pop up headlights. I miss them. My first 1987 RX7 had them, both my 944s (one Turbo), my first of 3 Ram Air Firebirds was an LT1 1997 with pop ups....

Rage2, your pop's Miata you're driving has pop ups - you're back in the club. I'm going to be back in it next season myself, my aunt still has the 1985 Fiero GT she bought new, it's a one owner car with 45k KM on it, 4 speed manual/etc. With pop up headlights. She's letting me buy it in the spring (fingers crossed) as she hasn't driven it for 2 years now, and wants to keep it in the family and make a spot in their storage garage for their new C8.

With how fast cars are these days compared to the mid 90s, it'd be great if the RCMP highway patrol went and found something better to do than run laser/radar, and even with the greater traffic, make a run at 5.75 hours with some of the cars the Beyond ballers own. That Lotus, various BMWs, MacLaren, etc etc could do it IMO, even with the more congested traffic, if it was done at night. A good full moon night, in a car with thermal imaging, either stock or aftermarket installed like the Cannonball crazies use.

6 hrs is incredibly well driven in a 944 IMO - my old 944 Turbo with some mods was pretty fast in the top end too, I wonder what kind of time it would have ran if you had driven it Rage. My 98/2002 LS1 WS6 Firebirds were excellent highway high speed cars, they would top out near 165 to 170 MPH stock IIRC, and those V8s were happy running at mid range RPMs. Be good cars to give it a whirl in back then too.
    Last edited by Gman.45; 09-22-2021 at 01:09 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Those were the days before I even drove on the track once. I feel like I was a pretty good street racer back then, basically driving balls out with a lot of variables to manage to keep the car on the road. The tires helped too, I was on Bridgestone S02s which at the time were miles ahead of everyone in grip. I had a G-Tech Pro (basically vbox from the 90s) and the S02s were the first tires where I could break 1g cornering haha.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

My midnight run from Vancouver to Calgary in under 6 hours will never be topped again. It’s impossible to not have to slow down for traffic today.

I wonder if it’s faster to drive thru US then back into Canada to actually make such a run work. Still technically coast to coast haha.
    Holy shit. I had a soccer game at Forest Lawn at 830pm - on the road at 1030, and had to be at Crescent Beach Marina for a 6am tide, and made it for 530. I was an hour slower, but had to make two gas stops though
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Quote Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
    Holy shit. I had a soccer game at Forest Lawn at 830pm - on the road at 1030, and had to be at Crescent Beach Marina for a 6am tide, and made it for 530. I was an hour slower, but had to make two gas stops though
    Wouldn't that be two hours slower with the time difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Tik-Tok View Post
    Wouldn't that be two hours slower with the time difference?
    Today, your Marth is better than mine.

Looking into this further. Crescent Beach is a good distance off the highway. @rage2 , where was your finish line? Surrey? Spitballing, I imagine it also took me 20-25 to get outta town from Forest Harlem to COP.
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It was Richmond to Varsity.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 5