Quantcast
Barlow and McKnight road closure - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Barlow and McKnight road closure

My Ride
    is Invisible

Does our airport really require that much space?

Id understand if we were a connecting destination, but the only flights we connect is to edm lol(semi-srs).

Did the airport really need this extension? Does anyone have any news clips?

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Xtrema

This is the plan

Basically, that's the new International wing. Old terminal will remain domestic.
    That's the immediate plan, yes. I was referring to adamc's hypothetical question about 50 years from now.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by adidas
    They site passenger volume as primary reason.

I don't doubt it. With China buying up resources here, I'm pretty sure there will be a Calgary to Shanghai flight soon.

I'm pretty sure with this extension, YYC should be able to handle traffic for another 20-30 years.

My Ride
    94 Teg

Fuck I hate this closure, makes McKnight hell in the morning. The worst part is they act on the radio like there's not much more volume of traffic. ARE YOU KIDDING ME, Ive had to continue to 32nd ave twice already because the southbound off ramp onto McKnight was backed up to deerfoot.
    Last edited by SneakyNeek; 04-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    NOYB.

That map posted earlier is not exactly correct on where the tunnel will (might) be. It is an east-west tunnel, but it goes from about 1 mile east of Barlow to 1 mile east of 36 St. A better map is on the web site for the people lobbying for the tunnel at http://www.yestunnel.com/innerContent.aspx?id=42 .

Metis hasn't been finished mainly because they need to know if there is going to be a tunnel, so they know whether or not to make an interchange at Metis to connect Airport Trail further east. (Anyone who's taken the east Stoney section will remember the closed 96 Avenue interchange - that will eventually become Airport Trail if the tunnel goes ahead.)

Metis is currently built to about 100 Avenue but isn't used between 112 (Country Hills) and 100 because there's nowhere to go once you get to 100.

My Ride
    210000 km oldie

Normally Deerfoot North gets busy around 3:30 ish to 5:30. Things gets backed up mainly as we get closer to 32 and McKnight, but sometimes earlier. Tonight around 6 pm it was backed up closer to 16th Avenue. My colleague left work around 3:30 yesterday and he said it was slow.
    I can imagine when the start working on Calf Rope bridge Northbound that would make the drive home that much more interesting.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Traffic was soooo bad this afternoon in the NE because of that....YUCK!! ill avoid that area from now on. Stoney it is.

Originally posted by adidas
    Does our airport really require that much space?

Id understand if we were a connecting destination, but the only flights we connect is to edm lol(semi-srs).

Yes it does. During peak hours the flow control for air traffic is hideous. Especially when the winds don't allow for the use of simultaneous runway operations. The new runway is also to accommodate for the new generations of larger aircraft, A380 etc, and CAT1 ILS approaches, that means flights can arrive in even more severe weather. And means less delays for travelers.

My Ride
    08 GSR

Past couple days, Deerfoot going north and southbound during rush hour has gotten shittier after the barlow closure.

My Ride

Originally posted by Cooked Rice

CAT III ILS
    fixed

Oops, yes that is correct. Was going down the wrong way of the scale.

honestly ive never been north or or northeast of the airport so i dont completely understand this issue.

why cant they extended 44th St NE further north past 80th ave up to country hills? or another street that runs north-south yet not up to country hills right now? wouldnt there be road expansion their eventually anyway so not true unneeded cost like tunnel.

My Ride
    NOYB.

44th aka Metis Trail will eventually go up to Country Hills Boulevard anyway. It already goes up as far as 80th, and comes down from Stoney as far as Country Hills (in fact further, but as I said in my last post, the further south portion isn't in use yet). There are a couple of other things in play here.

1. If you just rely on Metis to take traffic from the NE to Stoney and back across to Deerfoot, that's a rather long way around to get where you want to go. It's like driving from downtown to Westbrook Mall and back just to get to the Stampede grounds.

2. If you want to rely on Country Hills Boulevard to take all the traffic on (getting off from Metis and going along CHB to Barlow and then south), it's going to require a huge upgrade. Right now, CHB is only 2 lanes wide in that area with no shoulders. That will cost the city a ton to do. I suspect that the city would not be able to get any provincial or federal funding to expand CHB, whereas they (thought they) could get other levels of government to chip in to extend 96 Av to Airport Trail thru a tunnel.

My Ride
    2013 Genesis Coupe

Originally posted by racerjim
    they plan to redo the calf robe bridge over the river and also the bridge over ogden road, both going northbound. It will take all summer. They will have one lane closed more or less all summer long.
    What the FUCK.
    Didnt they just fucking do that???? The calf robe bridge is the most frustrating assembly of matter in the known fucking universe. If not construction then all the moronic fucks who get into accidents on it almost daily. I hate it and I'm going to nuke it from space. I'd rather take a fucking ferry.

Also you guys are going to love the new run way with the extra traffic, smoother travel, and all around more badass airport it will provide.
    Last edited by dj_patm; 04-06-2011 at 08:26 PM.

My Ride
    NOYB.

It was the SB lanes that they did last year, not NB.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

The map doesn't really give me a good understanding of why they closed Barlow? It looks like they have plenty of room on the left side of the new runway for it. Dig in an underpass where the planes drive over the road and call it a day.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    The map doesn't really give me a good understanding of why they closed Barlow? It looks like they have plenty of room on the left side of the new runway for it. Dig in an underpass where the planes drive over the road and call it a day.
    That was my suggestion in a previous thread as well (Joint old Barlow to Mcall Way, and have it continue up, would be HALF the tunnel size to accomplish). I contacted my alderman, and they got back to me basically saying the Airport Authority wasn't playing ball with that idea "because of the plans for the new terminal".

Bullshit if you ask me. The Calgary Airport Authority is just a bunch of idiots (ask anyone who's ever dealt with them)

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

The Calgary Airport Authority is just a bunch of idiots (ask anyone who's ever dealt with them)

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by Tik-Tok

That was my suggestion in a previous thread as well (Joint old Barlow to Mcall Way, and have it continue up, would be HALF the tunnel size to accomplish). I contacted my alderman, and they got back to me basically saying the Airport Authority wasn't playing ball with that idea "because of the plans for the new terminal".

Bullshit if you ask me. The Calgary Airport Authority is just a bunch of idiots (ask anyone who's ever dealt with them)
    That sucks. McKnight near the Deerfoot was a fucking gong show before they closed Barlow. I can't even begin to imagine how much worse it is now.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

This closure has added 15+ minutes to my 12km commute

I bought my fucking house for that 8-10 minute commute
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3