Quantcast
Israel's time running out... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Israel's time running out...

My Ride
    Subway / Rav4

Default Israel's time running out...

JERUSALEM — With revolutionary fervor sweeping the Middle East, Israel is under mounting pressure to make a far-reaching offer to the Palestinians or face a United Nations vote welcoming the State of Palestine as a member whose territory includes all of the West Bank, Gaza and East Jerusalem.

The Palestinian Authority has been steadily building support for such a resolution in September, a move that could place Israel into a diplomatic vise. Israel would be occupying land belonging to a fellow United Nations member, land it has controlled and settled for more than four decades and some of which it expects to keep in any two-state solution.
    President Shimon Peres is due at the White House on Tuesday to meet with President Obama and explore ways out of the bind. The United States is still uncertain how to move the process forward, according to diplomats here.
    Those Israelis live in West Bank settlements, the source of much of the disagreement not only with the Palestinians but with the world. Not a single government supports Israel’s settlements...Efforts are still under way to restart peace talks but if, as expected, negotiations do not resume, come September the Palestinian Authority seems set to go ahead with plans to ask the General Assembly to accept it as a member. Diplomats involved in the issue say most countries — more than 100 — are expected to vote yes, meaning it will pass. (There are no vetoes in the General Assembly so the United States cannot save Israel as it often has in the Security Council.)
    Mr. Shaath said Israel would then be in daily violation of the rights of a fellow member state and diplomatic and legal consequences could follow, all of which would be painful for Israel.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/03/wo...03mideast.html

Since Israel has never given two shits about the UN and the rest of the world's suggestions, this will be an interesting event to see. What does Israel do without having the American teat to suck on?

I will definitely try to get invited again to the UN General Assembly this year. It is very interesting to see the rants of Israel and Palestine from the Presidents/PMs in person.

"Having a war about religion is like having a fight over who's got the best invisible friend" - Yasser Arafat

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Default Re: Israel's time running out...

Originally posted by Godfuader
    or face a United Nations vote
    This is the key sentence. There will be enough political back scratching that the vote will come up No.

I'll gladly eat my words if prooven different though.

My Ride
    You Crazy

Awesome! We may see mid east peace in our lifetime??

My Ride
    '16 Sportwagen

Originally posted by Toma
    Nope. There will never be peace in the middle east. This conflict may get resolved but someone else will just start something. Way to much unrest in way to many countries over there unfortunately.

My Ride
    A Honda Product!

Maybe but not in the way you expect!

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

I disagree that there will *never* be peace. These countries are just going through development pains... much like the US did during the civil war.

Unfortunately these things take a lot of time, and generally countries develop at different paces. (Although the sweeping reforms is speeding up that process) I don't think we'll be able to see true peace in the Middle East, but I don't think it is too many generations off...

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

There has been war and "armed truces" called peace - in that region for thousands of years.

Its not going to change because the people arent going to change.