Quantcast
Calgary could hike Property Tax by 23% - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calgary could hike Property Tax by 23%

Default Calgary could hike Property Tax by 23%

Nenshi warns tax hikes could total 23% over next three years

Council's next great debate about service and property tax levels began Tuesday with a bang -a warning that status quo would mean a tax hike that could total 23.6 per cent over the next three years.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi said he wants to find a sweet spot between a potential increase of eight per cent in 2012 and seven per cent in both 2013 and 2014, and a tax freeze, which he called the other extreme.

Council endorsed Tuesday a two-pronged strategy to get to that middle ground by June for the next three-year budget cycle -use ongoing public consultations to determine what services Calgarians want, and push city hall officials to trim finances.

While he admitted the prospect of eight and seven per cent annual property tax hikes will likely scare Calgarians and council alike, Nenshi also asked city managers to paint the bleak picture of the consequences of a tax freeze.

Next year alone, a tax freeze would force $90 million in spending cuts, chief financial officer Eric Sawyer told council.

"I really want council to have a discussion around the implications of both extremes," Nenshi told reporters during a break in council's strategic planning meeting.

The large potential tax hikes floated Tuesday mirrored the numbers surrounding the 2009-11 budget cycle. Those tax hike figures ranged from 6.8 to 9.6 per cent a year, but were trimmed significantly by cost-cutting, tapping reserves and through other means.

Floating higher numbers is a typical civic strategy, said Scott Hennig of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation.

"This is part of the scare tactic to make five per cent look reasonable," Hennig said. The city should get tough with its current labour contract negotiations to stave off a high tax pinch, he said.

The eight and seven per cent tax increases would eliminate any budget shortfall, Sawyer said.

However, the city has coped with shortfalls of up $50 million or higher in recent years without making service cuts that outraged the public.

The city is trying to be firmer in the way council sets "indicative" tax rates in June, rather than have city managers determine what services Calgarians need and then letting council take the lead in reducing the tax rate to something more palatable during November's budget debates.

Ald. Brian Pincott urged council to show "real leadership" this time -enact higher-than-normal tax increases this time to ensure that the services and quality of life Calgarians say they want actually get enacted.

Too often, council has brought in lower tax hikes that undercut its long-term goals for the city, Pincott said.

"To determine the path of our city based on what 15 politicians think is a safe number to ensure re-election? That is not a way to build a city," he said.

Taking advantage of the province's lower-than-expected take from provincial property taxes, council decided recently to hike the civic tax level by 10.4 per cent to create a $42-million annual fund that will help build and repair recreation centres, libraries and other community facilities.

Ald. Andre Chabot said to control its tax rate, council should redirect that money to offset what it was told is a growing operations shortfall.

"I say live within our means, keep the mill rate as low as possible and deal with the operating costs and then worry about what you can afford, as opposed to what you want to build," Chabot said.

Nenshi argued that those overdue infrastructure projects are as vital as ongoing city services.

Council merely set broad principles on Tuesday, but added one to those administrators proposed: "Raise the care and attention that the administration pays to restraining expenditures and continually seeking efficiencies."

Nenshi said city hall needs a "major shift" in how expenditures work, likening it to provincial health-care budget woes.

"Health-care costs grow and grow and grow, and every now and then you kind of have to prune it. And then they start growing and growing and growing again," he said.

"I do think It's time for probably a pruning at city hall."

Sawyer warned aldermen that current revenue and expense patterns will create a $100-million revenue shortfall in three years, and $200 million by 2020.

"The potential for that to be higher is very much real," he said.

Sawyer also confirmed that after council approves the next three-year budget plan this fall, the city will spend the 2012-14 period gradually reviewing all spending programs and making adjustments where possible.

That sort of "zero-based budgeting" was a longtime demand from former alderman Ric McIver, who finished second to Nenshi in last fall's mayoral race.
    Source: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/hi...949/story.html
    Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 03:21 PM.

Not really much a surprise.

Sprawl costs money.

My Ride
    D40/ED9/R6

"I do think It's time for probably a pruning at city hall."

Fuck pruning, it's time to fly a crop sprayer over city hall and dump 100k gallons of roundup.
    "Anarchism is not a romantic fable but the hardheaded realization, based on five thousand years of experience, that we cannot entrust the management of our lives to kings, priests, politicians, generals, and county commissioners."

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Politics as usual.
    Vettel's #1

My Ride
    changes every year

if the council ran the city by votes of what to do by citizens we would be better off than the council we have now and we have some dumb fucking citizens.

I don't mind paying more if I can trust where the money is going.

My Ride
    changes every year

i already pay 2500 a year in taxes thatll be an extra 150 bucks or so for me. that doesnt sound like much but it is when youre alreading paying 2500.

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

This is out of control. Fuck off with it already.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

My Ride
    335i

Left Wing Mayor
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    Sausage Wagon

How about establishing a more efficient civil service; not having sleeping roadworkers on site getting paid $20 an hour.

Originally posted by teamPRO

howbout suck my black kettle...

^^NEVER!!( coming from a city employee myself)
    Originally posted by Modelexis
    If I have questions about my phone bill, I don't post it on beyond, I call telus.
    Originally posted by D911
    worst part is definitely when the dudes smacking it with his dick like that inside out anus owes his dick some money.
    the crap you find when you dig through ask leo

Originally posted by oupzwrongthread
    I don't mind paying more if I can trust where the money is going.
    Drive to the edges of town. That's where the money is going.

Takes money to make sure people in Walden have sewers and a wide road to commute to downtown on.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by CUG
    How about establishing a more efficient civil service; not having sleeping roadworkers on site getting paid $20 an hour.
    Can't improve with right wing mayor, no chance on a left wing one.

Btw, 23% in 3 year is a worst case scenario, an average of 7-8% per year.

I don't know if property value increase is factored in this, I'm sure it will be again closer to 4-5%.

This is just Chabot trying to creating sound bite and scare people.

Originally posted by 03ozwhip
    i already pay 2500 a year in taxes thatll be an extra 150 bucks or so for me. that doesnt sound like much but it is when youre alreading paying 2500.
    How did you get 150 from 2500 at 23% increase. I see your bill going to 3g's (if it is the 23%)
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Originally posted by CUG

Glad i dont live in calgary (=

heres a good joke about city workers tho.

Theres 3 kids at school, and they are talking about how super their dads are and what they do.

The first kid says "my dad is a cop, he arrests bad guys all day long"

Second kid says "my dads a fire fighter, he saves people from burning buildings'

Third kid says "oh yeah? well my dad's a city worker. He punches out at 3:30 and gets home by 2:00

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-02-2019 at 03:21 PM.

My Ride
    changes every year

Originally posted by Cos

How did you get 150 from 2500 at 23% increase. I see your bill going to 3g's (if it is the 23%)
    lol i was calculating on about 7% per year not 23% a year. if 23% a year, id wanna lose it. but what would that do? id complain and still feel raped and no one will do anything about it

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 03ozwhip

lol i was calculating on about 7% per year not 23% a year. if 23% a year, id wanna lose it. but what would that do? id complain and still feel raped and no one will do anything about it
    It's a democracy. Everyone in council knows a raise more than 5-6% = losing votes.

But realistically, go live in Airdire or Okotoks if you think tax is too expensive here. Then you'll understand how low our taxes is vs the services we have.

I think Nenshi is right. You want low taxes, we need to cut services.

Originally posted by Xtrema
    But realistically, go live in Airdire or Okotoks if you think tax is too expensive here. Then you'll understand how low our taxes is vs the services we have.
    Don't forget about the people that like in Okotoks, Airdrie, Cochrane and Chestermere and use city infrastructure (roads, transit, sewers etc) on a daily basis without contributing a dime to city income.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by sputnik
    Don't forget about the people that like in Okotoks, Airdrie, Cochrane and Chestermere and use city infrastructure (roads, transit, sewers etc) on a daily basis without contributing a dime to city income.
    They may not pay property taxes, but I suspect that they still contribute via Provincial Taxes, Corporate Taxes, the amount of money they spend in the city eating, gas, shopping, etc.. The companies that they work for would be paying the property taxes that would cover off sewer and other infrastructure. I would actually venture that property taxes are only a small chunk compared to all the discretionary spending that a lot of out-of-towners spend in the City.

To blatantly say that someone from Okotoks is leeching off Calgary is kindof stupid.
    Last edited by codetrap; 04-08-2011 at 10:17 AM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast